"Selling the FJ, what is the next logical step for crawling?" - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: "Selling the FJ, what is the next logical step for crawling?"

Get a Jeep JK/JL or a mini truck that's already built. Then get a tow rig and trailer. Keep an eye out for rigs that have already been built up, alot are sold on forums. That's gonna be your best deal. Marlin has a forum with some cool rigs for sale.

The FJ is one of the best do everything, street, trail etc.... (along with a 4runner but people rarely build those for "crawling") With some mild mods the FJ can do any trail before you start talking eminent body damage. Like 8+/10 type stuff.

It always amuses me what people consider to be underpowered. I've taken my FJ on 37's, stock gears, a crap ton of armor, no sway bars and still easily drive it faster than anyone else on the road, including 85 down the highway. Yes its loud, but underpowered? Nope.

4th gen 4runners have V8's from the factory, people have SAS'd those. And you touched on the reason I have crossed out the SFA. It usually takes a few tries to get it dialed in, unless you spend $20k+ front and rear to have it done right by one of the very few shops in the country. Start counting months out of your hands, shipping etc... it all adds up.

Have you heard of the new Marlin RCLT? Cheaper than a SFA and just as strong and you can install it in your own garage. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=103556 He's supposed to announce the price this month, then you can make up your mind.

I'm getting a rear diamond axle, 14" Kings in the rear and RCLT. Most likely an Atlas later on. All installed in my own garage. Point is, think outside the box for yourself and challenge what other people think is possible with the FJC platform. For the trails I do it will be amazing and I will still be able to drive it across the country to get there. The whole point of owning an FJC. If I wanted to just piddle around on the ORV trails near me I would get a cheap minitruck and trailer. Then tow it with my built FJ.

Last edited by Iconic_; 04-04-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Are those TRD rotors?

"Selling the FJ, what is the next logical step for crawling?"-03chinook1.jpg
Maxxmoto, Bad Wolf and Uncharted like this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage

As to choosing a heep for crawling, it might crawl okay for a lot of $$, but it will absolutely suck on the street. So you'll need a tow rig, a trailer, and lots of time and money for maintenance. You'll also have to deal with the abysmal reliability of a damned fiat.

I would wait a few months before you sell, and find out what the Marlin Crawler RCLT system will go for, and then decide. It's designed to allow 37s with no cutting, better clearance and articulation than an SAS, less labor and expense than an SAS, no death wobble, and allow you to put it back to stock without damage.

The initial photos and design information looks as if it will be a game changer.

Contrary to what some have said, a properly equipped FZJ80 is nearly unstoppable in almost any situation. Arguably one of the finest 4x4s ever designed by man. Their only drawback is that they are pretty heavy.

Good luck!
amaclach likes this.

Cheers!
Maxxmoto

2008 Sandstorm AT~TRD CAI~TRD Cat Back exhaust~Auto Start~Seat heaters~Fuzzy Homemade Armrest Critter Things~Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT GPS~A Few Cool FJ Emblems~LED tail lights & front corner lights~4Crawler 1.25" body lift kit & Body Mount Chop~Toytec 3" ultimate lift kit~All-Pro 4130 UCAs~All-Pro Apex Sliders~Moto Metal MO957 matte black 17x9 wheels~305/70R17 Goodyear MT/Rs with Kevlar~Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers

My Build: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-makeover.html

The FJ Sees ALL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Just do the SAS...Don't buy a Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	1075154  

2007 2 tone custom paint, Dana 60 (ARB Locked) front/12' King coilovers with remote res, Dana 70 rear (ARB locked), 40" Iroks on double beadlock hummer rims, Custom Califab rack,32" LED, Pioneer Z120BT, 2 500watt Fosgate punch, 2x 10" Fosgate P2, Wicked Cas A-pillar with Hertz speakers, Pyle 4 camera with 11" monitor, Ellis Precision Anodized knobs/ E-Brake/Fairlead, Demello Front & Rear with Arco's, Smittybuilt 10K winch SPod, TRD CAI, Viar On-board air, FlowMasters, Bushwhacker Flares, Califab kickout Sliders, Body Mount Chop,60' Hi Lift Extreme,Snorkel,
My Build https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ack-black.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in