Crawling - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Crawling

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
Yes 4 speed . I would wait and talk to Marlin.
Yea after visiting with CabinCruiser a bit today I do believe theyíre the way to go even if I do have to slightly mod the fuel tank. CC said they also make driveshafts so thatís a plus also.
CabinCruiser likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Garage

You don't have to mod the tank for any atlas install. its only for the dual case "tacobox" since you are essentially using 2 cases it only works well in the long wheelbase tacoma.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...r-case-12.html
Thorn661 and Firemedic831 like this.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
You don't have to mod the tank for any atlas install. its only for the dual case "tacobox" since you are essentially using 2 cases it only works well in the long wheelbase tacoma.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...r-case-12.html
Yea but I really want to retain my factory case and utilize a doubler. The only way I can do that with the Atlas is use the 4 speed which has its own doubler in a manner of speaking. I just donít want to spend that amount of coin for it when itíll take body mods including removing heat shielding and reshaping the tunnel then installing a triple shifter oh and I would have to build a crossmember and adapter for it or risk failure. Iíve heard theyíre kinda noisy too, probably sounds similar to my AA overdrive in my 40.

I love the things but weighing pros vs cons along with the modifications needed and costs I think the TacoBox wins out for me. If I were ever thinking about going SAS I would consider it maybe but I donít ever foresee that as a possibility.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Garage

Either way its gonna be the last thing I have planned for my FJ so I'm just gonna wait and see what Marlin comes out with.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Garage

I’ll be speaking with Mike this week if possible, I visited with them last year and checked out the TacoBox. Solid unit.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Garage

There’s two reasons I want the crawl box.

First is wear and tear on the drivetrain on climbs reducing or eliminating shock load and over heating causing premature wear. Second is that I can easily see myself bumping up to 37’s at some point and that will definitely add too much stress to the drive line.

The only issue I’m concerned with is being left with essentially an open front diff in Lo Lo at 206/1 ratio. I’m still rolling with A-Trac so my concern is with the ultra slow tire rotation will the A-Trac still sense traction loss and compensate? Maybe @CabinCruiser or @gearwrench will have some thoughts on this.

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Thorn661 previously said: View Post
Thereís two reasons I want the crawl box.

First is wear and tear on the drivetrain on climbs reducing or eliminating shock load and over heating causing premature wear. Second is that I can easily see myself bumping up to 37ís at some point and that will definitely add too much stress to the drive line.

The only issue Iím concerned with is being left with essentially an open front diff in Lo Lo at 206/1 ratio. Iím still rolling with A-Trac so my concern is with the ultra slow tire rotation will the A-Trac still sense traction loss and compensate? Maybe @CabinCruiser or @gearwrench will have some thoughts on this.
A-trac doesn't care what speed you are going, the only confusion might be that it tries to control when actual speed will be compounded with the new lower gears. It's reaction time is probably slower than how the drivetrain behaves if it is reliant upon VSS in the drivetrain vs the speed sensors at the wheel. I don't think it's adaptive learning but perhaps @FJtest could chime in on the specifics of A-Trac and how it will function with compound low range. Good question, Thorn.
Thorn661 likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Thorn661 previously said: View Post
. Iíve heard theyíre kinda noisy too, probably sounds similar to my AA overdrive in my 40.
They are straight cut gears similar to your OD, and got their design inheritance from the venerable NP205 and Dana 300 transfer case. Most people fight drivetrain noise with one of these and a simple clockwise turn of the radio dial.

Thorn661 and Firemedic831 like this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)

Thorn . i would contact . Wyatt . from Rock Solid Toys They install both the Marlin and Atlas he will give you a unbiased opinion . They will also know what you will run into .
Thorn661 likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Garage

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
A-trac doesn't care what speed you are going, the only confusion might be that it tries to control when actual speed will be compounded with the new lower gears. It's reaction time is probably slower than how the drivetrain behaves if it is reliant upon VSS in the drivetrain vs the speed sensors at the wheel. I don't think it's adaptive learning but perhaps @FJtest could chime in on the specifics of A-Trac and how it will function with compound low range. Good question, Thorn.
Appreciate the input CC I hadnít thought about the drivetrain sensors not understanding why the wheels arenít achieving an expected speed, all I had thought about was the wheel sensors spinning too slow. Food for thought, letís see what Test has to say.
CabinCruiser likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in