Bumper browsing - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Bumper browsing

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
Check out the Metal Tech tube bumper . light weight . and winch capable .
I have had a look at some of the Metal-Tech front bumpers and they are definitely some of my favourites, but I am not sure about the cost. I understand that with such a large item, manufacturing and shipping costs are going to be high, but still seems a bit excessive.

At the moment, I am leaning towards this one below and the N-FAB in my original post.

Metal-Tech FJ Cruiser Front Tube Bumper W/Bash Plate
https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index....oducts_id=3905

Thanks for the info!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
b.morrish previously said: View Post
I have had a look at some of the Metal-Tech front bumpers and they are definitely some of my favourites, but I am not sure about the cost. I understand that with such a large item, manufacturing and shipping costs are going to be high, but still seems a bit excessive.

At the moment, I am leaning towards this one below and the N-FAB in my original post.

Metal-Tech FJ Cruiser Front Tube Bumper W/Bash Plate
https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index....oducts_id=3905

Thanks for the info!
Just a FWIW . Metal Tech is having a group buy right now on Bumpers and sliders . They are 15% off and $100 off shipping . The N-fabs are nice (N-fab use to sponsor me when i was racing ) But they do not have a winch mount and i believe that the Metal Tech Bumper is a stronger built bumper .
Hannibal, FJFool and b.morrish like this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage

I was leaning toward the MetalTech as well for a while. It has everything I wanted in a bumper--an excellent approach angle, it's easy on the suspension, and it can carry a winch. But aside from the price+shipping being on the high side, MetalTech was out of stock at the time, and I was eager to get moving on a replacement for the stcok bumper.

I ended up with the N-Fab RSP, similar to the one you're considering in a lot of ways.

Bumper browsing-img_0104.jpg

The plates on yours look to provide a little better coverage. But @Firemedic831 is right. The contruction isn't quite as beefy as that of the MetalTech, and there's no way to mount a winch on it as it is. A mount or a receiver could be welded on, but the way the bumper attaches to the factory bumper mount may not hold up under the strain of winch use.

These are all things to consider.
b.morrish likes this.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
One problem with the aftermarket bumpers may simply be wait time to have them constructed. You probably want to find a supplier that has one in stock so you arent waiting 6-12 wks to get it.

I personally dont like the tube style or prerunner styles. You can also look at aluminum front bumpers for weight savings. For example Demello Offroad makes alum front bumpers:

https://www.demello-offroad.com/fjc-front-bumpers

The ARB bumper you identified is probably the biggest, heaviest and most massive bumper out there. Will provide great protection, probably available already in stock in some places, but will require changing out the front springs.
While I like the idea of an aluminum front bumper, I don't have the funds for any decent ones as of now, unfortunately. I will probably be limited simply to what is available here in Canada, so I don't think Demello will be on the cards for me, as much as I love the looks of them.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Just a FWIW . Metal Tech is having a group buy right now on Bumpers and sliders . They are 15% off and $100 off shipping . The N-fabs are nice (N-fab use to sponsor me when i was racing ) But they do not have a winch mount and i believe that the Metal Tech Bumper is a stronger built bumper .
Isn't that group buy thing only for when you buy multiple of them? I would like to get sliders as well, but unfortunately I can only afford the bumper at the moment.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
Isn't that group buy thing only for when you buy multiple of them? I would like to get sliders as well, but unfortunately I can only afford the bumper at the moment.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!
No you can buy single items . Group buy means they are getting a ton of orders from a group of people .

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

Here is the Metal Tech Tube bumper. I really liked it light weight. also another option is the Metal Tech Stronghold if you like or want to retain the stock look. if I would have had it my way I woulld have put another Metal Tech tube bumper on the 13 TT but my sister in law wanted the stronghold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02057.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	868.1 KB
ID:	1078802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190302_132111459_HDR.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	1078804  
FJFool, Firemedic831 and b.morrish like this.

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
No you can buy single items . Group buy means they are getting a ton of orders from a group of people .
Oh, awesome! So would I be able to get just the bumper and have it 15% off? Or do I have to get both the bumper and the sliders? (if so, do they have to be Metal-Tech sliders, or could I get the significantly cheaper ARB sliders from the site?)

Thanks!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
Here is the Metal Tech Tube bumper. I really liked it light weight. also another option is the Metal Tech Stronghold if you like or want to retain the stock look. if I would have had it my way I woulld have put another Metal Tech tube bumper on the 13 TT but my sister in law wanted the stronghold.
Hm, well I do love the look of that tube bumper you have in the first image, but I also really like how the Stronghold bumper was done on the 13 TT, looks excellent. That is more for me to consider, I suppose, so I am not sure what to do at this point haha.

Thank you very much!

Silver '08 FJ Cruiser
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
Oh, awesome! So would I be able to get just the bumper and have it 15% off? Or do I have to get both the bumper and the sliders? (if so, do they have to be Metal-Tech sliders, or could I get the significantly cheaper ARB sliders from the site?)

Thanks!
You can buy just the bumper . Or Just sliders . Or both
b.morrish likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in