Bumper browsing - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Bumper browsing

For those with tube bumpers, what did you use to paint the front end? Did you just go HAM with Rustoleum?
FJFool and b.morrish like this.

2010 Silver Fresco - pack light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
iLuveKetchup previously said: View Post
For those with tube bumpers, what did you use to paint the front end? Did you just go HAM with Rustoleum?
I haven't painted mine yet, but that's the plan!

Of course, I will be taping off things I don't want painted, like clear-coated areas (duh) and the radiator.
iLuveKetchup and b.morrish like this.

—MIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
b.morrish previously said: View Post
So is Metal Tech one of the better suppliers to order from when living here in Calgary & surrounding area? I really like the Metal Tech FJ Cruiser Front Tube Bumper w/ Bash Plate (https://www.metaltech4x4.com/metal-t...-w-bash-plate/), but it'd cost about $1,750 CAD to order it from there. This price excludes the group buy discount, which I still don't entirely understand how to take advantage of (also ends at the end of/by tomorrow, which is inconveniently the day I finally get paid).

Have you any suggestions of suppliers (potentially local ones) that are better than the alternatives here in Alberta?

Thank you for your time
They have been for me.
The group buy discounts will depend on how many orders are made, so if you jump on the bandwagon early at 5 or 10% discount and more and more people get on-board, the discount can climb.
My last order through them was quite large (included the Red Eye II stage three and the sliders) and I'm averse to paying exorbitant shipping and brokerage charges. I spoke with them and they arranged for a palletized shipment with a trucking company and I self-brokered it through customs (it is easy to do with CBSA as you only need to pay GST).

There are two retail shops in Calgary that I know of that do orders for parts through their suppliers that may include MetalTech.

The other option is getting it shipped to Sweetgrass and bringing it over yourself if you live close to the border. It will be the same thing; drive down, declare, and pay GST. This can be an advantage if the item is large and the company offers free shipping within the lower 48 States.
SilvFx and FJFool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Definitely get the ARB. It’s super durable protection from deer and bigger, it’s reasonably priced, and while it does weigh some, your stock springs are fine. You would only need heavier springs with a cable winch, a synth rope winch is still light enough with stock springs.
b.morrish likes this.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Talking Front bumper

Smittybilt X2O-10K Waterproof Wireless Winch Gen2 was $333 and a Smittybilt M1 Front Bumper with Winch Plate and 7/8" D-Ring Mounts - Textured Matte Black Powder coat was under $683 with military discount both very nice great quality and lifetime warranty on winch. Will put in own second battery kit for ABOUT $100. Everything for about $1200
saabturbo and b.morrish like this.

Last edited by Gonzo724; 05-16-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
b.morrish previously said: View Post
Hi all,

I have been wanting to get a new bumper for my silver '08 FJ since I bought it a month ago, and now is my chance, but what to choose!?
(NOTE: Living in Canada, so if you have any knowledge about buying parts up here, please do tell!)
I parked the FJ on the side of the road on my first day of work in town, only to come back to my bumper hanging off. My car had been clipped by a school bus that cut a corner too much, but they left a note and will be covering the estimated repair of almost $3,000 CAD.

In short, I am going to get an aftermarket bumper installed instead of replacing the broken one with a factory one, so I am in need of some tips, please

I am looking for a fairly lightweight and small(ish) front bumper, maybe a prerunner style, but I am not limiting myself to that specifically. I don't want to spend too much on it (some of the repair costs will go towards the bumper), and I like the idea of a lightweight one so I don't have to upgrade my suspension just yet. Also, a winch would be preferable, but it isn't a necessity.

Here are a few I was looking at:
N-FAB M-RDS PRERUNNER FRONT BUMPER
https://n-fab.com/m-rds-prerunner-fr...ota/fj-cruiser
(I like the looks of that one, but as I said, a prerunner with winch capabilities would also be great)

ARB 3420210 Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2014 Deluxe Front Bumper Winch Ready with Grille Guard, Black Powder Coat Finish
https://www.bumperonly.com/collectio...ota-fj-cruiser
(also like the looks of that one, but it is a lot heavier, and would consequently demand a suspension upgrade)

https://www.shrockworks.com/FJ-Cruis...-pr-16249.html
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/Bumpers-T...pn=S%2fB612850
(these are similar to the ARB)

Thanks for any help you can give!
Hi b.morrish,

I went through the whole front bumper thing decade ago. At the time I live near your neck of the woods in da U.P. (that's in the Upper Peninsula, MI for you southern folks). I wanted something that wasn't too heavy where I had to change the suspension because I like the stock Trail setup. I also had a crucial requirement, it had to have space to mount two sets of 9" diameter lights (one set for fog way low to the ground and one for lighting up the roads at night). I wanted to see the critter's eyeballs so not to hit them at night. Big critters that is ;-)

My recommendation is the TJM Bull Bar. I have compared it to the ARB and everyone I've talked to says they like the TJM over the ARB. It is manufactured in Australia and the fit and finish of the bumper is unbelievably the best I've seen.

Here is a link: TJM Outback Steel Bull Bar suits Toyota FJ Cruiser | TJM USA

I am including a photo showing how I've set it up.

Good luck!
Carlton

Cruiser47 likes this.

Last edited by URBAN_GENIUS; 05-16-2019 at 09:53 PM.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 PM

battery kit

Sorry if I offended you with my old user name they made me change it

Here is an inexpensive way to do own second battery setup hope this helps!
So there are a lot of kits you can buy to have truly isolated dual-battery setups. Those are VERY NICE kits. They are also very expensive. I try and replicate those kits without spending as much money, while still having a similar level of quality and/or reliability. There are constantly posts on this forums about 'How to do dual-battery setups' and most are from people who don't want to spend the $$ on the kits. I didn't want to spend the money either, so came up with a simple list people need to buy to get a reliable and safe dual-battery setup.

Step #1 - Get a beer, this will take awhile

Step #2 - Look at the diagram - study it in detail as this is an incredibly complicated setup that will take years to learn properly. Plus, there will be a test at the end.

Step #3 - Have another beer, that was a rough diagram and you deserve a reward

Step #4 - Source your parts!

Get your own batteries - I won't go into batteries, which are best, etc. I have 2 DieHard Platinum batteries in my truck and a cheap Wal-mart battery in my trailer. Some like Odyssey, some like Optima, some like Trojans

Get your cables ($14)...for a simple setup you can go w/8 or 6 gauge, but I've found that 4 gauge battery cables with the ends cut off work well, because they are cheap and carry a decent amount of current.

http://www.handhelditems.com/20$$-guage-booster-cable-p-47794.html

You'll also need some 12 gauge wire. If you don't have 12 gauge wire laying around, you probably shouldn't be wiring your own dual-battery setup. Or borrow some from a friend. If you don't have any friends, turn off your computer and get a life! :sombrero:

Get your connectors ($7)...you know, to connect your cables to your batteries and stuff

http://www.amazon.com/IMPERIAL-71861...ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Get your fuses!!!! ($13) ... you need one fuse for each battery, trust me on this one

Go here are order part number ANB740N0N02, they are 80A ANL fuses + the fuse blocks

https://www.vtewarehouse.com/content...nl/anlfuse.php

Note: If you are wondering why 2 fuses, it's because each battery has power and could blow up your truck, so it's best to fuse both batteries. Put the fuses as close to the battery as is practical.

Get your solenoid ($16) ... this is what keeps one battery from draining the other battery, or something similar to that (mostly it keeps them 'isolated' from each other so you can still start your truck to make a beer run)

Cheap -->http://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Dut...sim_sbs_auto_1
Good -->http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24.../dp/B001FQL43U
Way good -->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Step #5 - While you're online, order some good beer from the great Pacific Northwest (they ship everywhere!)

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/

Step #6 - Wiring everything up

Follow the picture above

• Find somewhere to put everything in your engine compartment (or truck bed, or wherever your 2nd battery might end up...unless it's one of those fancy sealed-up battery things, don't put it inside your rig or it might leak hydrogen gas and Hindenburg your *****, so just don't do that, okay? ).
• Make a short 4GA wire from your main starting battery POS (short for positive, not for piece of $hit)to your fuse block.
• Make another 4GA wire from your fuse block to the isolator
• Make another 4GA wire from the other side of your isolator to the other fuse block
• Make a short 4GA wire from the other fuse block to your other battery POS
• Make a single 4GA wire from the NEG on your starting battery to the NEG on your other battery
• Connect a 12GA wire from pin on the isolator to a fuse in your fuse box that is only 'hot' when the key is in the 'ON' position (aka the truck is running)
Note: You can use fancy heat shrink on your wire connections, and that will work very well. Or you can take a roll of electrical tape (UL Listed, please) and wrap each connector-wire connection in electrical tape. It's about 80% as effective at about 10% of the cost or effort.

TOTAL COST - $50 (cheap) $59 (good)

• Cables - $14
• Connectors - $7
• Fuses - $13
• Solenoid - $16/$25

Note: Cole-Hersee solenoid will be much more reliable, so spend $9 less on beer and upgrade to the nice solenoid
Note #2 : Don't try and jump-start your truck using your other battery using just this setup (ie through the solenoid). Instead, pull out your jumper cables (you DO have jumper cables, right? you didn't just cut up the pair you keep IN THE EVENT OF EMERGENCIES, right? right?) and jump from your backup to your starting battery using the jumper cables
Note #3 : The big difference between this and the fancy setups (other than the cool battery gauge things) is those will usually use a voltage-sensing time-delayed-opening solenoid-type dohickey that allows your starting battery to charge first, before charging up your other battery. If that means anything to you, it might be worth spending the $200 more to get one of those sets. If you have no idea what that means, get in line, I don't really understand it either, but apparently it's worth $200

Final Step - Have a beer, enjoy how cool you are, and now go build a cheap $100 awning with the money you just saved.
Cruiser47, FJFool and b.morrish like this.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

Now that i am 12 beers in i can not for the life of me figure out how i went from reading about what Bumper to get to how to wire up a 2nd battery .

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
URBAN_GENIUS previously said: View Post
Hi b.morrish,

I went through the whole front bumper thing decade ago. At the time I live near your neck of the woods in da U.P. (that's in the Upper Peninsula, MI for you southern folks). I wanted something that wasn't too heavy where I had to change the suspension because I like the stock Trail setup. I also had a crucial requirement, it had to have space to mount two sets of 9" diameter lights (one set for fog way low to the ground and one for lighting up the roads at night). I wanted to see the critter's eyeballs so not to hit them at night. Big critters that is ;-)

My recommendation is the TJM Bull Bar. I have compared it to the ARB and everyone I've talked to says they like the TJM over the ARB. It is manufactured in Australia and the fit and finish of the bumper is unbelievably the best I've seen.

Here is a link: TJM Outback Steel Bull Bar suits Toyota FJ Cruiser | TJM USA

I am including a photo showing how I've set it up.

Good luck!

Carlton

I do like the TJM front bumper than ALL the rest. Its practical and i especially like the coverage it gives to the front end. But weight was and still is a consideration, not to mention access to my winch. Current running the U.S. Off Road bumper and winch.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in