Synthetic Winch Line? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Synthetic Winch Line?

Whichever synthetic you decide to go with, I highly recommend getting a safety thimble. You can order it pre-installed on the line or weave it in yourself. Also, remember that sunlight is the harder on synthetic than anything else.

Viking Trail Line with Winch Safety Thimble

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you want the best then go to a logging supply store. We loggers are switching to "blue line" by the masses. IMO it would be silly to buy a packaged line from an off road company. If you go to the logging supply store you will have a dealer that will be able to service your line if it gets cut. Plus, you will be buying a line from people that know about putting lines to the test. I had one snap while pulling a set of logs and was able to get it spliced the same day.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM

another thought about the logging supply store; when you buy the line have them slice a loop at the end to include a steel ring, make sure they line the loop with a kevlar hose. This cost me 30 bucks and I have not had a break at the end since installing the protective hose. The synthetic line will fray without the protective hose causing a serious weak spot. This is cheaper alternative to the safety thimble that Woodsman showed us. The thimble is a nice looking piece of equipment though and shouldn't be considered "safety" equipment as much as "necessary" equipment. The synthetic line is very slick and the very best of knots will slip when a big load is placed on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Kokopelli Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Oregon previously said: View Post
If you want the best then go to a logging supply store. We loggers are switching to "blue line" by the masses. IMO it would be silly to buy a packaged line from an off road company. If you go to the logging supply store you will have a dealer that will be able to service your line if it gets cut. Plus, you will be buying a line from people that know about putting lines to the test. I had one snap while pulling a set of logs and was able to get it spliced the same day.
Oregon,
Do you have a reputable store name and location (city/state)?
Muchly appreciated!
Bob

2008 Black Diamond
Toytec|Ricochet|TRD|Quickfist|Camburg|Light Racing|Hella|Ellis|MetalTech|BajaRack|Nitto TerraGrappler|DISCOUNT TIRE
TLCA Member #18690
Made in Japan, but BUILT in the U.S.A.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage

That logging supply idea is interesting. Any sources ? I checked Baileys but didn't see anything there.

Just to confirm, the main idea behind the safety thimble is that it allows you to reel in all the synthetic line without losing your finger or hand. Having all the line on the winch helps protect the line from sun exposure and keeps a clean front-end without need to hook it to a front shackle or tow point.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
1911 previously said: View Post
Matt, the other advantage of 3/8" line is that you would be pulling from closer to your drum (fewer wraps) than with 5/16" line, and there's a lot more torque and pulling power the less wraps there are on the drum. Unless you winch out of rivers or lakes where you might really need a long line, 80' is plenty for most Texas obstacles. Even if you did need a long line, you could just carry an extension line.
X2. Also, the 3/8s I received from Viking is rated to 19K lbs. This could be important if you use a snatch block. Good luck.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Any town worth living in has a supply store for logging equipment=) The store I use is in Springfield Oregon- Roberts Supply. However, if you do a google search for logging supply in your area you are sure to find one. Roberts has well over 50 spools of various thicknesses. The line is so light it would ship well but I would prefer to find something around your area so that it can be professionally fixed when it breaks.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Amsteel Blue synthetic line is as tough as it comes, they have a web site. This is the line used for controlled studies at Oregon State University college of Forestry.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Not many logger supply places in Austin but I will look online to see what I can find. I am liking the thought of less line on the drum with an extension in the back of my FJ to use if needed.

I did speak to Thor at Winchline.com and he said using a steel roller fairlead is prefereable to a hawse fairlead as long as there are not burr marks on the rollers. His suggestion was to pull the rollers and polish them smooth before using the synthetic line.

“Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.”

Davy Crocket

My Rig: - well, that was my rig...

TLCA Member # 20540
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Out of curiosity from this post I checked the ratings on my Winchline line and found this at the bottom of the page. Thought you guys might like to see it.

Buyer Beware: There are variations of very strong synthetic ropes that we have seen on the market. These can include Amsteel rather than AmSteel-Blue (both can be blue and virtually indistinguishable) and Dyneema SK-60 available as well. Viking Offroad will never substitute synthetic ropes of lesser strength or quality. We always use genuine AmSteel-Blue™ (Viking Trail Line) for our winchlines.

-BRUTUS-

MODS: SURFER FOOT GAS PEDAL

"Don't you sabotage me Miles, don't you do it...and if they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot"
"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fܢk!ng Merlot!
TLCA# 18845

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in