4x4 or not to 4x4...this is the question - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to chrisngrod Send a message via Yahoo to chrisngrod
Re: 4x4 or not to 4x4...this is the question

4x4 all the time...

Anyways VSC doesn't kick in ever I found out on the ice. Never really thought of that until I was in a place that really got large amounts of it.

This is the way it's suppose to work right? It can't detect wheel spin if the tires it's all locked up on ice right? Ah wait I wasn't traveling 9mph either.

Last edited by chrisngrod; 12-13-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I disagree with the "Absolutely no need for 4wd in the rain" comment. I've been in plenty of downpours that warrant it's use.

It doesn't matter what you have on ice. Zero traction is zero traction. You can have 10wd and it won't matter.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

What tires are you running. My first winter I had new Yoko AT/S and found it hard to get around in 2WD specially if it got cold (-10C). I had it in 4WD most of the time to eliminate the electronic nannies. The next winter I got 4 proper winter tires and what a difference it made. I almost never used 4WD unless it was post storm and the roads weren't cleaned yet. The nannies rarely kick in. They just seem to work so much better when they have some degree of traction. I got Nokian Hakka 5 SUV with factory studs. They are the best winter tire I've ever owned. I think they are better than Bridgstone Blizzak DMZ2. It seems that with poor tires, if you're braking and you unload the rear enough for ABS to start working they all start popping and you just can't stop. Even in N. That's why I was using 4X4 to eliminate early lockup of one of the tires. But with good tires it's not a problem. One thing to always remember. 4X4 gives you so much traction and acceleration you will tend to forget it won't help you stop much better than a 2WD. If the car ahead of you stops quickly with good tires, you'll be hard pressed to stop in time if you don't have good tires too. It's a heavy vehicle. Like they said, practice in a safe area and you'll be amazed how well VSC, ABS and Trac works with good tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kaster

What the ....????

You can not ask that question, it totally depends on the situation.

If you are in 2wd and need more traction, go into 4wd. Its simple.

07 FJ Black 4x4
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Quote:
joenshan previously said: View Post
I would have to disagree on that. I find myself sliding side ways allot more in 2 wheel drive than in 4, in slick conditions. Going down hill in slick conditions neutral works best. Because of a down shift or rear tire pushing forward against the brakes.
Quote:
Toledo FJ previously said: View Post
I disagree with the "Absolutely no need for 4wd in the rain" comment. I've been in plenty of downpours that warrant it's use.

It doesn't matter what you have on ice. Zero traction is zero traction. You can have 10wd and it won't matter.
x2.

I have pulled out onto a road now twice without VSC kicking in on wet pavement and rain - causing me to almost spin completely around.

I use 4wd everytime it rains. This is just like any SUV, and because of 15years of driving a 2wd SUV I know how to handle fishtales and sliding rear end performance...that does not mean I want to continue to deal with it.

I bought a 4WD for the ADVANTAGES such as traction!

That being said, I get up on it and drive...not crazy, but I push the machine to its capabilities.

Now if you're one of those Sunday driver types, then 2WD may work for you on pavement all the time!

2008 Trail Teams Special Edition

Friendly and Useful Vendors I send money to from time to time:

MetalTech
Demello Offroad
SpringtailSolutions
RicochetOffroad

Where my money goes...(CLICK FOR THE BUILD OF OREO)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Formerly FJ_Marine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Slow down

Dave
1984 FJ60

[O]=TOYOTA=[O]

^^^ CLICK TO SEE MY 1984 FJ60 PROJECT ^^^
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
csitracadie previously said: View Post
What tires are you running. My first winter I had new Yoko AT/S and found it hard to get around in 2WD specially if it got cold (-10C). I had it in 4WD most of the time to eliminate the electronic nannies. The next winter I got 4 proper winter tires and what a difference it made. I almost never used 4WD unless it was post storm and the roads weren't cleaned yet. The nannies rarely kick in. They just seem to work so much better when they have some degree of traction. I got Nokian Hakka 5 SUV with factory studs. They are the best winter tire I've ever owned. I think they are better than Bridgstone Blizzak DMZ2. It seems that with poor tires, if you're braking and you unload the rear enough for ABS to start working they all start popping and you just can't stop. Even in N. That's why I was using 4X4 to eliminate early lockup of one of the tires. But with good tires it's not a problem. One thing to always remember. 4X4 gives you so much traction and acceleration you will tend to forget it won't help you stop much better than a 2WD. If the car ahead of you stops quickly with good tires, you'll be hard pressed to stop in time if you don't have good tires too. It's a heavy vehicle. Like they said, practice in a safe area and you'll be amazed how well VSC, ABS and Trac works with good tires.
X2 on the proper winter tires. Where I live it gets to -20F every winter and at that temp you need a purpose made soft rubber tire to drive on ice and hard packed snow. A regular AT tire will not cut it (on ice and hard packed snow) because the rubber compound is not pliable at those temps. You'll have to change them out in the spring because they will be squishy as all heck with the warmer temps but everything is a trade-off.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
jontrip247 previously said: View Post
Ok, for all seasoned drivers out there please let me know what you would do.

Roads condition:

icy---> engage 4wd or not

snowy---> engage 4wd or not

mostly snow w/some ice---> engage 4wd or not

Rain---> engage 4wd or not

I've been told that at times it is best to not engage 4wd b/c of the fact you lose VSC, but just thought I'd ask because this will be my first winter in the FJ. I'm grateful for any input/help
I use 4wd when I get tierd of my truck clicking and beeping at me because my wheels are spinning
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
csitracadie previously said: View Post
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Ok, so now that we have had every type of weather here in oklahoma, here is what I have come up with

Roads condition:

icy---> engage God <- he is your only hope

snowy---> engage 4wd in deep snow only

mostly snow w/some ice---> No 4wd unless you get stuck, which I have not

Rain---> Never need to be in 4wd

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in