Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Key Fob Options

21K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Bloo 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have done quite a bit of searching online for an answer to this, so here goes.....

I have a 2007 FJ that has a separate key and fob. I want to upgrade to either a flip-key or the newer key-in-fob design that came on the later models. Sounds like the 2007s don't have a chip-key, so that shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be getting the remote portion to work correctly. I'm wondering if anyone has used the newer key design on a 2007.

I guess if the new keys don't work with the 2007 model, I can always gut my remote and place it in a flip-key style remote like some people have already done. But it would be cool if anyone on here has already found a solution to this

#7 ·
Perfect. I'm just really wanting to do the Banjo Key swap. I have a problem having a big set of keys in my pocket. For some reason it really bothers me. Those are a couple good threads there. Thank you very much.

My FJ only came with one beat up remote which I was going to replace anyways, so switching to the all-in-one key setup at this time would be ideal :)

#3 ·
I did one of the random cheapo eBay ones and with a little fiddling (adding some spacers to snug the fob guts) it worked well.

Held up for a VERY long time until I broke it out of stupidity

#5 ·
They make flip keys for the 08+ but I think that is all you are going to get unless you put your fob guts in something else and then have a separate key made...

everyone wants what they dont have lol

Reactions: Mt6972
#9 ·
Thats nifty!!! One of the reviews mentioned that the person had a very hard time getting the key cut like the original and that when they finally found someone to do it, it wasn't done right. Anyone had issues like this or have experience with getting an ignition key replicated?

#14 ·

reporting in, it works (12BBX)

got mine from eBay, like $19
Thanks My bed,

That first thread is actually what I started messing with cause these fob cases are dirt cheap. Only problem with that is I couldn't figure out a clean way to attach it to my key ring once it was modded!

And that second one is great. Did you swap your fob guts into it, or did that key come with a 12bbx transmitter in it?

#17 · (Edited)
Got my keys today!! They cost $32.95 for a pair with free shipping here on eBay. Toyota charged me $14 each to cut them. I could have had them cut cheaper off my old key, but I would rather have new keys cut off the VIN anyways. Programming the remotes was pretty easy, simply using the instructions on the remote company's website. I used the 4-runner instructions, cause apparently they don't list the FJ.

So, for $62 I have two new Banjo keys. Winning

Big thanks to My Bed for the post of his remote and the info. I hope this helps a few guys out there.

Attachments

#20 ·
Toyota charged me $14 each to cut them.
I find this very surprising! At my dealership we don't charge anyone anything to cut a key, even if we have to get the code with the vin.
The Subaru dealership down the road has a broken key cutter and we cut all of their customers keys for free as well.

Side note: If you have your locks replaced by a Toyota dealership with new keys, then your new key pattern/code will be updated to your vin on TIS.

#18 ·
A bit of advice on keys.

When cutting off of VIN, always cut a cheap non-chip key first. Use this to make sure the locks have not been changed. It happens, not often, but frequently enough that that there is a risk of cutting a very expensive blank using the wrong code.

Use the non-chipper as a wallet key. It won't start the vehicle, but will unlock it- great in the winter.

Eddie

#23 ·
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this, but I am also trying to find a seller of FOB's for a 2014 FJ. I just purchased my FJ and it only came with one key. It appears that it is a valet key (G Chip) as their is no FOB as part of the key. Before I purchase a FOB, I have a couple of questions. First, how can I verify that the vehicle even had FOB's originally, as I see in the owners manual that the remote FOB was an "Option". If it did, will I be able to just purchase a couple new FOB's (w/G chip) and get them cut & programed without having an original FOB or Key Number Plate to use as guide? And if it didn't originally have the remote "Option", how would I go about getting a remote door lock system installed? Thanks in advance for any info you may provide.

#25 ·
2022 Bump. LOL So, I found an all-in-one key and fob/remote on Amazon that says it is compatible with my 2007.

This is the item URL, though it won't be forever: The description is: 2 New Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob for Toyota Land Cruiser & FJ Cruiser (HYQ1512V 4D-67)

My question is, has anyone gotten a HYQ1512V to work with the chip-less 2007 keys, or does it not matter and the programming is as simple as the previous fob remote?
(This is a PRIME item, so if it doesn't work, I'm sending it back, back I'd rather not even try if it's a waste of time.)

Peripheral Gadget Material property Font Output device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.