Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Plasti Dip?

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Cayenne 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about plasti dipping my front bumper wings, grill, and rear bumper wings black. i was just wondering how many coats should i apply?

Any tips before i get started?

#2 · (Edited)
I did about 5 coats on mine, waiting about 45 mins in between.
Spray from a consistent distance. You don't want to be too close.
And the first coat or two won't look like much, just keep adding more coats as you see fit.
The more coats, the easier it will be to remove in one piece later on.
Use an alcohol solution to clean whatever you're dipping first, plastidip doesn't like finger grease.
Oh, and spend your time doing a good tape job, you'll thank yourself later.

#4 ·
Do a couple, make sure by the time you are done that you have a thick even covering. In thin areas it can be difficult (but not impossible) to peel off. If you ever decide to peel it off, citrus based cleaners seem to work the best.

Different colors require special tricks I've found. White is the worst, but black isn't too hard. Make sure to shake the can very well and that it is room temperature (not cold) if it comes out chunky then shake more and keep it warm.

#15 ·
I used it on all my exterior plastic to see how I liked it, I ended up actually painting my bezel after it started to peel after a couple of years and the door handles do wear off from normal use so they're best replaced with the black molded tacoma ones. My mirrors are still dipped though and look great after years. I also notice that the white on my bezel got stained by road gunk and bugs, but everything that was black keeps its color fine.

#16 ·
I painted mine a few months ago. I do a lot of hwy driving and the rock chips are mounting up. The silver shines tremendously against the black once chipped... I assume plastic dip would do the same. Just something to consider if you drive on the hwy. I'll be switching to tt when funds allow. With the exception of the bumper wings, I'd like to get the bumpers and plastic body trim linex'd one day.. Need a second job I suppose.:|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.