Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Comparing 285/70/17 and 285/75/17

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

I don't expect any rub on full stuff in the front or rear(no sway bar and Metal Tech LT) but I should note that I also have a 0.5" body lift and I did also remove my fender flares... completely a personal choice for aesthetic reasons. The body lift was preemptive for getting better access to shock bolts more easily, having more clearance for the rear spare tire to bumper and thinking about 35's in the future

I will get you a few pics of the tire clearance to the BMC shortly. I live in CO and driving in the mountains with no re-gear just means slow and steady unless I want to be in high rpms all the time. I literally just got these installed on Tuesday 1/9/18 so I can't really comment on acceleration and braking just yet. In the first 20mi I've driven I don't feel like it was extremely noticeable though.

John
Looks great! Those wheels are hot. Whenever I get new wheels I will go with bronze as well.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome