Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Slider rejuvenation

Quote:
Teikas Dad previously said: View Post
My Trail Gear sliders are starting to get rusty in spots, mainly in the tight angled corners. At first I was thinking about taking them off and getting them sandblasted and powder coated. Then I thought that maybe a better option would be to take them off and have them Line-Xed or Rhinolined in black. Figured the bed coating would make the whole thing non slip for anyone using it as a step (my wife) where the powdercoat would be slippery and need friction tape applied. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not sliding them over rocks that would wear off whatever coating I put on them.

Any suggestions, advice of experience with the same?
I took the Line-X route with my old Trail Gear sliders. I bought them a long time ago (6-8 yrs?) and installed them powdercoated as they came from TG. Last year I had rust starting to show pretty bad at the welds and the powdercoat was starting to flake off in places. Also, as you note, they were quite slick when they got wet which wasn't a problem for me, but it was for my wife, my parents when they visited, and some others. My buddy actually helped make the decision for me............he had just bought a new Tacoma and purchased a set of sliders in a Group Buy. He took his to get Line-X'ed and I decided to tag along. So I took mine off and let Line-X take care of them. Couldn't be happier, and neither could my wife (which is important).
Like you, I'm not crawling over rocks everyday, so it wasn't unreasonable to go the Line-X route. If I were someone that did play in the rocks often, I likely wouldn't have went the Line-X route. But I'm not. So I did.

2007 FJ, 4x4, AT
*Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper*Warrior Products Flat Roof Rack*17" TRD Pro Wheels w/285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers*OME/Toytec 3" Lift*Trail Gear Sliders*Doug Thorley Y-Pipe*AFE High Tuck Cat Back*TRD Intake*Ellis Precision Everything*Springtail Solutions Racks*OrangeBoxx Side Rack & Foot Rest*Industrial Forming Console Cover*TT Door Handles w/o Keyholes*Pioneer Head Unit*Wicked CAS Box w/JL Audio 12W3*JL Audio JX500/1

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome