Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - View Single Post - Frame rust.... Is this worth it?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitzir

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Frame rust.... Is this worth it?

Hi everyone!! I apologize if this ends up being long, wanted to give you some background on us before discussing the question I have.

I'm looking at a decently modded '07 manual FJC. It's originally from Virginia Beach, definitely a surfers rig. I'm from the DC area, decent rust belt area. My fiance has built up a rock crawler 4Runner and Tacoma. (One small reason, other than the fact I've always wanted one, I'm getting the FJ is to tow the 4Runner to meets as it's not street legal.) The Tacoma is first gen and had the frame replaced under the recall. Needless to say he's very familiar with Toyota frame rust but he's never had his hands on an FJ.

We went to the dealership yesterday and we banged on everything! Most of the frame looks great, standard surface rust you'd expect on this year being where it's from... except for one spot. Under the passenger seat area there's about a three inch spot of considerable rot. Possibly a hole but smaller than the tip of my pinky finger. Based on my fiances experience with the Tacoma he gives it 3-5 years before he'll have to do something about it.

They are asking 13k, fairly typical for my area and has all new brakes, great looking diffs, new Goodyear tires, I really can't say anything negative about the rest of this vehicle. I Wasn't able to get a good picture of the rust spot.

What do you guys think? Anyone from this rust belt area that can give us an idea of time this will get drastically worse? Thanks so much in advance. I can't wait to join the ranks here as an owner not just an obsessed fan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E0B406D-7C7A-46C6-95C0-C8864D68A74D_1525600684555.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1037322   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEE2CA6E-0990-4312-9A28-ED6B7A3D58BD_1525600772767.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1037330  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome