Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Strut installation: Lower control arm or tie rod?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
So, I've searched the forum as well as YouTube but am still unclear if undoing the sway bar plus lower control arm is the way to go or disconnecting the sway bar & tie rod is the proper approach for removing & then re-installing front strut assembly on my 2013 FJ TT. Would like to do this once & with minimal frustration & swearing, if possible!

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

#2 ·
I have an 07 but I believe removing the front strut is the same. I disconnect the sway bar link and the UCA from the top of the spindle, Pu t a small floor jack under the brake rotor and lower it until the strut loosens. Its actually very easy to do. Hope this helps :)

#3 ·
To take out the whole strut you dont have to take off the UCA. It does help to loosen the LCA bolts so it drops further.

Undo sway bar so it isnt in the way, then unbolt the strut - 3 top bolts and large bottom one. Drop it out.

If you are not doing it as a whole unit (like if you need to reuse the top hat) then you will be looking at the 'No spring compressor method" Still no need to touch the UCA.

#6 ·
additional suggestion:

if when you go to install the new assembly, it might be longer than the original and it might be very (VERY) difficult to get it into place

My solution was to take a length of 2x4, wedge it into the lower control arm and stand on it, rotating the arm well down and out of the way. The installation of the lower bolt was then easy.

Use lots of anti-seize on everything for ease of removal next time.

N

#8 ·
That was the point of loosening the LCAs....no struggle at all then. If one is lifting the truck it needs aligned anyway...might as well "zero out" the LCA bushings by loosening them too, otherwise they might have a sort of preload on them from the factory position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.