Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - View Single Post - "Selling the FJ, what is the next logical step for crawling?"
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
dreamgiver
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: "Selling the FJ, what is the next logical step for crawling?"

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Custom Job? They have the same exact front suspension as a 2nd Gen Taco. Believe me, the differences are so small, you'd never notice. Spring rates and shock valving is a bit different, and there are kits for the FJ specific too.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/truck-...as-fj-cruiser/

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...te-fj-sas.html

I'm not saying an FJC is going to be best suited to the type of wheeling you want to do but it is doable. Even on up to 42" tires.
Saw all that. Called All Pros a while back, basically they estimated the price to do the front swap, including a diamond axle and labor, to be around 15k, not including the wheels and tires. Then you gotta beef up the rear too. Was quoted similar price by a couple local fab shops. Local guys also discouraged me, someone else local had All Pro do it and there were geometry issues and such that persisted, were not very happy with the results. Another guy who lives around me just had a shop in Cali do his, both front and rear, all in, 40K. Local fab shops quoted me about 8k for the Taco front swap, 10k with bringing the rear up to spec. And apparently electronics and such are compatible. These are the numbers I got from my research. Again, add the current value of the FJ, plus the bad visibility on the trail, and kinda makes no sense to do it.

I have been really torn about this as the FJ puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It just is not a good platform for a crawler and, based on what I have read and lots of people I talked to, you can spend a nice chunk of change and still not have that good a crawler.

Feel free to challenge my numbers.

2010 FJC 4X4 AT, K&N air filter, 305/70/17 MT/Rs or Duratracs, NestahEdition Firestik II antenna, AllPro rock sliders, TRS HID headlights, Stebel Nautilus marine, Icon Stage 5, Total Chaos UCAs, ExpeditionOne WyoOtto bumper with Warn Zeon 10S and PIAA 510 Xtreme, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, BMC, Ellis Precision stuff, AllPro spindle gussets, FJToyman shock skids, Boztec rear diff skid, Infinity speakers w rattle trap, Budbilt skids

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome