View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
hihoag

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Creasy Bear

The cowl and clips remain on the work bench; I will get to the one day….

Everything worked great on the PCH trip, no issues with anything that had been done at the point; however the trip showed me what I wanted to change next. I found the lighting in the cab and cargo area to be very poor, and since it was a $3.00 upgrade, I swapped the dome lights for LED, and the improvement was dramatic, made all the better by the low price.

Another issue I had was the fridge, more specifically the fact that it turned off every time the ignition was turned off. Meaning every morning we had tepid milk, and questionable eggs, etc. I wanted to make it a constant hot outlet, but I also wanted it to run off a second battery. That brought about the Dirty Parts dual battery setup, as well as the Odyssey 34/78PC1500DTA AGMO battery.

Prior to the install, I decided to clean the engine bay, which also gave me an excuse to buy a new pressure washer. The cleaning took a little over an hour, and in my opinion was worth it.

The install went well enough, the instructions were fairly simple but the included CD was not something I could utilize since I don’t have an optical drive, I had to resort to internet searches and contacting Dirty Parts. I will say that Larry was very helpful, even with my moronic questions.

Next up was a fuse box, since I was going to be adding all this stuff to my AUX battery, I may as well make it look clean now. Being a moron, I ordered the wrong length wires, and then got stuck with a bunch of work I had to take care of. That equated to many trips to O’Reileys, Autozone, etc. After a week of tearing away under there, and trial and error, I had finally wired up the engine bay and all my “gidgets and gazmos” as my wife put it.

I’m sure the wiring is all wrong and a driving fire hazard, but it all seems to be working fine so far….
I figured since I would be adding a constant 12v to the rear (rather than rewiring the outlet that came with the FJ), I may as well add all the electrical I wanted currently. So I bought some more parts, but in my haste, I didn’t keep track and ended up ordering doubles, extras, etc. One thing I wanted was a voltmeter for my second battery, so I ordered a Powerwerx voltmeter (https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-segmented-volt-meter).

I was going to mount it in the Airbag sensor slot, but upon removing the sensor bracket, I found out that I couldn’t remove one without removing both, and if I removed both, then I would have a gaping hole left in my dash.

So I decided instead of adding my 3 prong outlet down low like I had planned, I would mount it in the other sensor location, so I began boring out the sensor bracket to fit both the voltmeter and the 3 prong.

This left me with a white background around the outlet, but I wanted a clean relatively stock look to it. So I took the old sensor screen and cut out the middle and popped the outlet in the middle. It fit ok, but I ended up having to grind down the corners of the outlet with a dremel to make it fit cleaner.

This all left me with a dangling board for the two sensors, and I was worried that removing it might cease their function, so I glued it to the bottom of the face, which kept it tidy and out of the way without dangling or removal.

That is not the final glued position, but I neglected taking a picture of its final resting place. I also neglected to take a picture of the inverter that I purchased and mounted in the middle console area, but there are a great number of threads that cover this in great detail that gave me the idea and the directions.

Installed it all worked out ok, I had some issues with the voltmeter being a constant on, but in the end I agreed with some others and I like that it runs all the time, because at camp I can check the battery with the fridge running without having to turn the vehicle on.

While I had everything taken apart, I also added a dual USB port up front, as well as one in the rear.

The biggest pain in the butt turned out to be adding a relay, and making it to where all the new jazz and the fuse box was switched to the ignition, so I didn't have a ton of parasitic drains. Turns out there was a stupid simple post already done by LandCruiserSteve, just took me a while to find it, that laid every single step out that even a moron like myself was able to follow (https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-w-pics.html).

The only issue I ran into was I used a 12ga wire at first to power the box, not enough juice and the inverter didn't work. Once I ran a 10 gauge, no problems at all.

Since I was doing all this electrical work and had no experience with it, I figured now was as good a time as ever to add a fire extinguisher. So I got Refinedcycles mount (https://www.refinedcycle.com/FM2-Fro...Tacoma-FM2.htm ) and a Kidde extinguisher.

Then I got bored and had some spare foam, so I cut out some foam for the drawer. This is not how I drive around, I hucked the foam after I was done, I just made this while the kids were napping out of boredom.

There is far more to come, but time and money require some waiting on my part, which my hemorrhaging bank account will appreciate, and I will add a few more picture tomorrow.

The list of work so far:

Cargo shelf
Pioneer 6x9s
Blackforest fridge
Insane Audio FJ1001
Dirty parts Dual Battery setup
Odyssy battery
Inverter
Added dual USB up front
Added dual USB in the back
Added 3 prong outlet up front
Added constant hot 12v in the rear (Fridge)
Added voltmeter up front
Plastidipped anything and everything
Fire extinguisher with mount
Jerry can mount in rear

Next up….

Plans? There’s a lot more to come….
LT lift, new roof rack (again), hardshell RTT, front and rear bumpers, lighting, heated seats, new backup camera, rims, supercharger, etc…

My FJ is my new addiction; I just have to wait for the money to fund it….

Last edited by hihoag; 06-28-2019 at 12:45 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome