Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Buyer beware O'Reilly alternator

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Serenity Now 
#1 ·
Purchased a "lifetime" alternator 2.5 years ago and was left stranded on the highway this weekend. Fortunately my Optima got me a good ways closer to civilization. I appreciate the warranty but it doesn't cover the $200 tow and labor. They didn't want to give me credit but when the O'Reilly's realized I wasn't leaving with the first no I got credit for it and purchased a Dansil.

#4 ·
Not sure what you are asking by: "Is this a known problem on FJs?".

You mean buying a cheap "parts-store" rebuilt alternator and having it fail prematurely? This can and does happen with any make vehicle.

Or that failures of the OEM Denso alternator are common?

The OEM Denso alternators are EXTREMELY reliable, at least if you don't routinely submerge them in mud bogs. Generally the only thing that wears are the brushes, and after 100K miles of service you clean out the brush dust, drop in a new $15 brush module, and go another 100K miles.

If you ever do decide to just replace the alternator, go with a rebuilt Denso alternator rebuilt BY Denso; see densoproducts.com.

#6 ·
Let me clarify slightly ... while repetitively submerging the alternator in liquid mud will quickly cause problems, the brushes and sliprings will also wear more quickly if you routinely drive in heavy dust & sand conditions.

As an example, at just under 250K miles my 2000 4Runner is still on its original Denso alternator, although I've replaced the brushes twice. It doesn't get as much off-road use as it once did, but still has many miles of So-Cal desert trails behind it.

#9 ·
OEM altimeter “ALWAYS” not only that, but anything that has to do with electronic/sensory systems.
There has been multiple failure reported in this forum and other forums as well.

Some had success with after market alternators, and that is a very small percentage, and that’s playing Russian Roulette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I can vouch for the OP. I was forced to buy an O'Reilly alternator when a river crossing went horribly wrong and the OEM alternator died. O'Reilly was the only part store within 100 miles so my options were limited.
That alternator maybe lasted a year before it took a dump. At least O'Reilly gave me no grief and honored their warranty. I am currently on my second O'Reilly alternator so we will see how it goes. If money were no object, a Mechman alt would be the route I would take. https://www.mechman.com/alternators/toyota/fj-cruiser/4-0l/2007-2012/

On the plus side, I am now an expert in changing out the alternator and can have it done in under 20 minutes.

Reactions: Lee44
#12 ·
#13 ·
Mechman is highly endorsed in the car audio community for their output ratings. Everyone who has one says they are superb.
Are they better than OEM? As far as output is concerned, yes. Longevity is an unknown as I do not own one yet. Everything I have read on them says they are far superior to OEM in every way, but as we all know, you cant believe everything you read on the interweb.

Reactions: Karlfly
#15 ·
Looks like brush holder with brushes, for both new/old alternators (2007-2014). Approx $16. At that price, one goes into the box in the back. Although changing it in the field could be an issue??

SKU: 27370-0F060
Other Names: Brush & Holder, Brushes, Holder S A Brush
Description: FJ CRUISER
Replaces: 27370-0Y150, 27370-31220

Looks like it fits a lot of other Toyotas..
@FJtest Thank you!

#17 ·
Looks like brush holder with brushes, for both new/old alternators (2007-2014). Approx $16. At that price, one goes into the box in the back. Although changing it in the field could be an issue?? (snip)
I always pull the alternator to clean out all the dust and powdered carbon brush residue, check bearings, re-lube the needle bearing, and clean-up the slip rings with 600 grit wet-or-dry abrasive paper. I think swapping out the brush module would be a real challenge with the alternator still in the vehicle, but it depends how determined you are. I've never tried it.

#22 ·
Stopping has been on my mind for quite a while. Hope he’s still there. Sign looks good. Yard and shop also. Never see activity.

Wondering if the output of the stock alternator can be brought up to 130A like the Taco, w/out reliability issues. I just don’t know enough about that stuff. :|

Would rather rebuild our alternator than have to buy the parts store stuff.

I’ll make this my current quest :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.