Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Left tail light not working.

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  White Wolfe 
#1 ·
Left tail light stopped working recently on my 2007 FJ. When you hit the brakes it lights up, but no running light on that side.

I have power at the fuse and everything else works. Not sure what else to check. Would this be a grounding issue?

Highly appreciative of any ideas or help.

#3 ·
It's a two-filament bulb, the tail light filament has burned out but the brake light filament is still working. Replace the bulb.

I had the same issue while attending FJ Summit in Ouray. You'll need a pliers to get in there to the socket unless you have small Japanese hands.

Reactions: Winterpeg
#7 ·
7443 was right for tail/brake lights. Not sure about the other one.

I wonder if you messed up a ground somehow? Weird things can happen when there is a bad ground.

#8 ·
When I read your post something in it made me think of the brake light switch. The little thing mounted to the back of the brake pedal. Pulled it out and cleaned the contacts and pushed em the other direction just slightly. Added a little bit of dielectric grease and popped it back in and the brake lights came on and I was able to put it in drive. Seems odd this happened while it was sitting in the driveway during a brake light bulb change. Confused me greatly.

I really thought it was something I did changing the bulbs, even as easy and straightforward as that is, at least once you figured out I was looking at the wrong bulb at first. :|

Thanks to all that replied. Your help around here has been invaluable. :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.