Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is it a Trails Team?

2012 Radiant Red FJ Cruiser

8K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  2012TTSE 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2012 FJ Cruiser in Radiant Red but it doesn't have the Trails Edition Badges but when I pulled the VIN and decoded the invoice it had the Off-Road Package, Convenience Package 17" Alloy Wheels and Spare , Roof Rack and the Z1 Preferred package but it's not showing that it's a Trails Edition and the steering wheel and seats aren't accented in Red so I am guessing it is not a Trails Edition? My Question would be if it has the Off Road package wouldn't it be a Trails Edition? I was under the assumption that the Radiant Red color option only went to the Trails Edition. Just picked it up for $28,900 59K miles and lifted, big rims and body armor bumper with winch. Also has additional fog lamps and really nice SmittyBilt 2 Step Nerf running boards. I guess my question is about the Radiant Red Color option. The more digging I do, just seems like the original owner did a custom order? Not sure.. Just curious on the boards thoughts.

#2 ·
What country are you in? For the north American market the 2012 Trail Teams was the only vehicle that used radiant red color but I know other countries like Australia had the color available as just a standard FJ withwhatever package it was ordered with. Sounds also like it may just be an FJ someone has painted radiant red if you happen to be in North America, which is a possibility. If there are no badges or color matched interior seats, trim, or steering wheel it is definitely not a 2012 TT.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe that red was a non TT color available in Japan and the UAE. But I'm right only 45% of the time.
Was it advertised as a TT or did you assume it was?

It was not advertised as a TT, I ran the vin through Toyota and even had a local Toyota dealer decode my vin and this was the port or factory installed equipment and the exterior was Radiant Red (3L5) so it came from the factory not a repaint, Toyota rep said good chance the buyer did a custom built and request.

3T Roof Rack
Port
AL 17" Alloy Wheels with FullSize Alloy Spare
Factory
CQ Convenience Package
Factory
DH Towing Hitch & Wire Harness
Port
E5 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
Port
FE 50 State Emissions
Factory
OF Off-Road Package
Factory
RL Daytime Running Lights
Factory
Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat, Rear Door Storage, First Aid Kit, Armrest
Port

#8 ·
That sucks. I know I would feel kinda heartbroken if I thought I was buying a limited edition 1 of 2,500, only to figure out it was something else.

Hopefully you can find solace in the fact you do have a red FJ, and those in itself are very rare. And yeah, post up some pictures! :)

#10 ·
It was not advertised as a TT, I ran the vin through Toyota and even had a local Toyota dealer decode my vin and this was the port or factory installed equipment and the exterior was Radiant Red (3L5) so it came from the factory not a repaint, Toyota rep said good chance the buyer did a custom built and request.
I visited and called quite a few dealerships in the pacific NW to order a new 2012 radiant red TT. I wanted to order one with a 6 speed manual; however, all the dealerships indicated that they could not order or specify any factory options. They could have port or dealer installed accessories and that is about it.

Basically the dealerships could request a 2012 TT, and Toyota would send whatever they had. So I would be surprised if someone ordered a special paint color like radiant red for a non-TT FJ. This is assuming the FJ was made for the North American market. Maybe I need to be a Toyota executive or a Rockstar to order one ha ha:rofl:.

#12 ·
So for some reason I wasn't able to upload pics on the thread or at least I couldn't figure it out but here is my FJ that I just purchased. It has 59K miles and I picked it up for $28,900 + Tax at 8.5% what can you do but it had 2 prior owners and it's super clean!!!

3T Roof Rack
Port
AL 17" Alloy Wheels with FullSize Alloy Spare
Factory
CQ Convenience Package
Factory
DH Towing Hitch & Wire Harness
Port
E5 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
Port
FE 50 State Emissions
Factory
OF Off-Road Package
Factory
RL Daytime Running Lights
Factory
Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat, Rear Door Storage, First Aid Kit, Armrest
Port

Model2012 FJ Cruiser
GradeSR
ExteriorRadiant Red(3L5)
InteriorDark Charcoal
Engine6-CYL
Body Type5Dr. Wagon
Drive Type4WD
Transmission5AT
Selling DealerSouth Coast Toyota
Servicing DealerNone Selected
Date of First UseJanuary 01, 2012

Attachments

#17 ·

Attachments

#21 ·
Judging by the neighborhood, houses, side walk, & palm trees... I'm guessing south west USA. I was also thinking possibly FL, AL, or LA (Louisiana) but I dont think they have palm trees.

Edit: just did the Googles and it said "..one can find native palm trees in California, Arizona, (Nevada, but disputed) Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia."

Edit 2: Hhmmm... can you give us another hint? Is it weird that I find this investigative work entertaining? Fun!

Edit 3: Now I'm researching the different types of palm trees. lol

#26 ·
I live in Phoenix, (AZ) just haven't been around my computer. I appreciate all the feedback, I just bought the OEM badges that I will place on the rear and passenger side (Trail Teams) but either way it's an amazing FJ I was just curious because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't since it was radiant red and had the offroad package as well as the 17 inch rims but either way besides the steering will and 2 tone interior seats it's hard not to think it isn't.. Just a great FJ so I'm super happy.. I also have a 2012 Wrangler that is lifted and has all the bells and whistles and I like the FJ better..

#29 ·
Sweet! it was meant to be a TT and so it shall be, get some red and black seat covers and a steering wheel cover and you are Golden. Check out my intro post for pics of what PO put on my rig.

I saw some places require VINs to verify TT badge sales, but looks like sellers on ebay do not require that.

At the end of the day you got a very nice low miles FJ that could potentially be some potential unbeknownst Frankenstein maybe someone will.figure out the history of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.