1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
fuel consumption

Hi , can someone advise on what their fuel consumption is on a 2012 fj cruiser. now only getting around 400klm per tank on both long trips and suburban driving. have had mechanic check and no loose vacuum hoses or anything obvious as to the reason. would appreciate peoples input as to what their consumption is thank you ... John Thompson (west aissie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Re: fuel consumption

I've had my 2012 for six months about 7500 miles and my average is 18.6 mpg. My use is about 50/50 highway/city. I've had 20 mpg once or twice on 98% highway tanks. Mine is stock with no roof rack. I have Yokohama Geolander G015 AT tires in the stock size. No noticable change in mpg

Just noticed... I'll let you do the metric conversion.

2012 Army Green Bone Stock Slick Top

Last edited by Adrift; 07-08-2017 at 05:41 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

For the rest on imperial system

Range Per Tank
400 km = 250 miles

FJC Fuel Tank
72 Liters = 19 gallons

5.55 L/km or 13.15 MPG

With your stats listed. This is common among lifted FJCs with roof rack. I get between 13-16 MPG (87 octane) 15 - 18 MPG (93 octane) with the set up I have.

Its a brick! Also many folks have trouble filling the tank to 19 gallons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)

What they said, also the fuel gauge is poorly designed so it registers empty (and the emergency fill light is on) when there are still about 4 gallons left (of 19).

If you fill it when the light comes on that is as if the tank was actually 20% smaller than it really is!

You can use your trip odometer, and calculations based on assumptions of what your mileage has been on each tank, and get it closer to its full use (driving for 50 miles or so with the gauge sitting on E) but it runs the risk of mis judging what the actual mileage was that time (speed, throttle position and so on can make a big difference), so the poorly designed gauge tends to make one have to play it safe, just in case.

What I did was drop my tank, and bent the float arm so the float is about 1/2 as far from the bottom as originally. So now my light comes on when there is about 2 1/2 gallons left. Not perfect, but the gauge reads much more accurately (it reaches 1/2 way when there ACTUALLY is about 1/2 of the fuel in it, instead of dropping like a rock after 1/2 like it did from the factory).

Of course, this doesn't increase anything, simply makes it easier to use what's there. In AUS you have the option of the factory AUX tank. Maybe you can get one from a scrapped FJ?

Norm

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Garage

I avg about 15.5 mpg. Leveled, no rack, 33x12.50's, supercharged so always run premium. I used to have a roof rack taking it off didn't make a noticeable difference.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)

There is a super long thread on here already where everyone posted their mpg, it has gone on for years, ever since '06 or early '07, so let's not start a whole new one of those now (unfortunately, lots of those people had posted to that thread simply a number with not enough information about their mods, what speeds they drive, what altitude they live at, hills, mountains and so on).

From studying all 40 or 70 pages of it, a few things do seem to be pretty consistent:

As Cliffy pointed out, a S/C drops about 2 mpg.

A roof top carrier (not just roof rack, but with a box on top) drops it about 1~1.5. A 3" lift and big tires drops mpg at high speed, and a few hundred pounds of steel front and rear bumpers, and permanently mounted storage, air pump, fridge and so on, inside, tends to drop it 1~2mpg or so, depending on how much stop and go driving one does (dragging all that dead weight back up to speed each time) and how fast one commutes (big lifts, big tires and big bumpers and roof top carriers, have to push more air which resists by a square of the velocity, so mpg between a speed of 60mph is quite a lot higher than at 80mph, over a 12 hour trip.

Range is directly proportional to mpg. If you need more range, keep it stock and keep the speed down. But both are inversely proportional to joy.

FJs don't get good mileage, compounded by the small fuel tank. Too many threads on this familiar, heavily trodden theme.

As Woody Allen's female lead said in What's Up Tiger Lilly?, "I'd call you a sadistic, necrophilic beast, but that's beating a dead horse."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I have a 2012 TT. I can typically drive 350-400 km in the city. On the highway I have gone as much as 480 km. Filling up when the low gas light comes on takes 55 litres.

"Not all who wander are lost"

"Eric the Red": 2012 Trail Teams Edition
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
There is a super long thread on here already where everyone posted their mpg, it has gone on for years, ever since '06 or early '07, so let's not start a whole new one of those now (unfortunately, lots of those people had posted to that thread simply a number with not enough information about their mods, what speeds they drive, what altitude they live at, hills, mountains and so on).

From studying all 40 or 70 pages of it, a few things do seem to be pretty consistent:

As Cliffy pointed out, a S/C drops about 2 mpg.

A roof top carrier (not just roof rack, but with a box on top) drops it about 1~1.5. A 3" lift and big tires drops mpg at high speed, and a few hundred pounds of steel front and rear bumpers, and permanently mounted storage, air pump, fridge and so on, inside, tends to drop it 1~2mpg or so, depending on how much stop and go driving one does (dragging all that dead weight back up to speed each time) and how fast one commutes (big lifts, big tires and big bumpers and roof top carriers, have to push more air which resists by a square of the velocity, so mpg between a speed of 60mph is quite a lot higher than at 80mph, over a 12 hour trip.

Range is directly proportional to mpg. If you need more range, keep it stock and keep the speed down. But both are inversely proportional to joy.

FJs don't get good mileage, compounded by the small fuel tank. Too many threads on this familiar, heavily trodden theme.

As Woody Allen's female lead said in What's Up Tiger Lilly?, "I'd call you a sadistic, necrophilic beast, but that's beating a dead horse."

This is posted in and more than likely geared to the Australian owners. He's looking for local advice.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

As someone else said, this is a topic that comes up often.

I screwed around with mileage readings when I had my '07, but never really got a handle on it. So when I got the TTUE I got serious. Here's the latest data:

This is for my '14 TTUE, MT-6, Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires, no roof rack.

Charlie
Attached Images

Yes officer, I know I that smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

Here are my stats:
- I live in the mountains at 8.5K', regularly drive 3000K' vertical (up and down per day)
- Rig: Roof rack, rock guards, ARB bull guard, 9.5K Smitty which, tow hitch, 285/65/r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers (33" diameter tires), 2.5" lift
- 87 octane gas
- Typical fuel mileage 16 MPG day to day. On the highway at 75 mph, I drop to 14.
- I'll get an additional 2-3 mpg if I stay below 65 and am very conscious about acceleration.
- off road in Moab, on dirt and rock roads, averaging 10 mph, I'll get about 10-12 mpg

The things that have had the biggest impact on mileage has been unsprung weight (tire/suspension weight). Changing or blowing out the air filter after Moab and super dusty trips. Gentle acceleration and the occasional use of very high end, fuel supplements.

Enjoy driving an unaerodynamic brick and know that owning an FJ isn't about mileage, it's about fun!
stoviAZ likes this.

Kevin | Eagle County, CO

#2 2013 Trails Team Edition | Concrete with Custom Black Top | ARB Front Bumper with Smitty Winch | Toytec Adjustable Lift with Heavy Duty Springs; Bilstein 5100 extended travel in rear | Bed line on Plastic Components | BPRM cat back exhaust

#1 2008 Sunburst Yellow | Manual AWD | Super Charger | Other goodies | RIP after accident: FJ vs Elk Herd and guard rail

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in