You zonies are funny!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrow Re: BajaRack's FJ Roof Rack - Review

So a quick question - If I have the factory rack, does this BajaRack utilize the exact same holes so that you do not have to make any new ones?

Thanks,
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: BajaRack's FJ Roof Rack - Review

Quote:
esleepy previously said: View Post
So a quick question - If I have the factory rack, does this BajaRack utilize the exact same holes so that you do not have to make any new ones?

Thanks,
Yes, that's right... 2 bolts in each of those six places, exactly the same.

-Mike (W7FJC)
check out my BLOG thing...
AZFJ.org - Arizona FJ Cruisers!
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I really like this rack! Think the price is amazing and it is very practical! I just wish that it followed the lines of the roof (The Gobi Stealth rack is a good example of a rack that follows the curvature of the roof).

Are there any plans to make a Bajarack that is curved and not completely flat?

2007 FJ 6MT
Mods: TRD intake | Icon Stage 1 lift | Light Racing UCAs | Front diff drop | 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/Ts | Trail-Gear Sliders | Demello single-hoop front bumper | In-cabin Scuba Mod | Gobi Stealth Roof Rack and Ladder | CB radio

Hook'em!
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
drummer22 previously said: View Post
I really like this rack! Think the price is amazing and it is very practical! I just wish that it followed the lines of the roof (The Gobi Stealth rack is a good example of a rack that follows the curvature of the roof).

Are there any plans to make a Bajarack that is curved and not completely flat?
I wish they'd make a knockoff of the stealth. Same height and following the curves of the FJ, but without the same design on the front. That upper part that is lifted for lights just creates a tunnel for noise. I'd rather have the option of mounting lights up on top if I wanted them. I am not much for the light setup, so go for it Baja. Make your own low height stealth style rack without that upper part. I'd order one on Tuesday (PAYDAY!) if you had such a beast.

Good-bye Dad. I love you! Thanks for being such a wonderful father.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Check out new Baja MG Rack. Both Corey and Shred have purchased and posted about this new design. (Search RTT:Autohome Air Top Review) Although designed for Autohome Roof Top Tents, it seems that it would work for other uses as well. Sergio at Baja does a very good job of listening to the specific needs of FJ owners.
For Drummer22 and Bam Bam, this model is flat and does not follow the contour of the roof but a post mod could take care of the look. It seems that a sheet of metal could be cut and attached to the sides to solve the aesthetics for you. For me I like the "crew cut look" of the flat roof design and the potential for a wide variety of uses. Not only is it perfect for a RTT, but also a canoe/kayak, a sheet of plywood,etc...
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
tomwill55 previously said: View Post
Check out new Baja MG Rack. Both Corey and Shred have purchased and posted about this new design. (Search RTT:Autohome Air Top Review) Although designed for Autohome Roof Top Tents, it seems that it would work for other uses as well. Sergio at Baja does a very good job of listening to the specific needs of FJ owners.
For Drummer22 and Bam Bam, this model is flat and does not follow the contour of the roof but a post mod could take care of the look. It seems that a sheet of metal could be cut and attached to the sides to solve the aesthetics for you. For me I like the "crew cut look" of the flat roof design and the potential for a wide variety of uses. Not only is it perfect for a RTT, but also a canoe/kayak, a sheet of plywood,etc...
Thats not a bad idea! Just tack a black sheet of metal along the sides of the rack that match the lines of the roof. Anyone here good at photoshop wanna simulate this?

And yeah, the flat roof definitely is more functional for the reasons you stated. Everything is just a tradeoff

2007 FJ 6MT
Mods: TRD intake | Icon Stage 1 lift | Light Racing UCAs | Front diff drop | 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/Ts | Trail-Gear Sliders | Demello single-hoop front bumper | In-cabin Scuba Mod | Gobi Stealth Roof Rack and Ladder | CB radio

Hook'em!
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't mind it being flat. I just don't want it to be any taller than a stealth because with the stealth my FJ clears the garage by literally less than an inch. I have a weird 1970's garage size. When I went to get my garage door replaced the guy laughed and said that garage size was used on like 1% of houses and they had to send out for my door to be custom made and it would take several weeks. If you ever see a garage that has a fiberglass door that allows light in, then that's the size. They were a weird idea that somebody thought up that would provide light and heat in a garage like a greenhouse during the first fuel crisis in the early 70's. Now I am stuck having to measure vehicles before purchasing one, and I'm the only one in the neighborhood who has to do so. What a drag!

So basically... I need something that is very specific in height, and if I want to park in the garage I can't even do a mild lift, unless I leave the rack off entirely. So for me it is a decision between, lift, rack, and parking in the snow. I've considered building and additional garage with a higher opening and ceiling on the side of my house, but can't get permission from the city because it would sit too close to the property line, but I can build a car port, so I may go that route and just go for the tall rack and stop worrying about it. Grrrrrrrr.

Good-bye Dad. I love you! Thanks for being such a wonderful father.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The new MG rack by BajaRack is indeed very nice.
A few pics from my vacation at Mt. Rainier National Park a few weeks back.

It is pretty level, not curved like the factory rack.

post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Doesn't that rack have sides up towards the front? This is the rack I am thinking of just because it doesn't have sides.

285/70/17 Goodyear DuraTrac's, Sway-A-Ways

Check out my build: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-build-up.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Vendor Member Section > Bajarack Adventure Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in