Awning. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Awning.

The Ironman awning sell in the 4x4 stores over here, retail is around $290.00
We had a group buy on the FJCC (Ozzy forum), and got them for $350.00 with a fully enclosed annex.
I found that the Ironman, ARB,etc...are pretty much all the same, it all comes down to what color bag you want on your rack.
The ARB awning retails at $350.00 without the annex.
The Fiamma is in a different league, they are easy to put up or down by yourself, where as the others can be a pain in the wind, the downside to the Fiamma is the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
Loaf previously said: View Post
You got a sic setup FJNewb!. Send it my way haha.
Actually I have sold the ARB RTT to a guy that now runs it on his adventure trailer. I really liked the setup for expedition travel and having one self suffiicient setup without having to tote a trailer around. Moving more towards technical wheeling these days where the weight up top isn't as friendly.

Still have the fiamaa and am quite happy with the quality. Considered both the ARB, fiamaa, and camping labs when I was looking. Don't regret my decision with the fiamaa, but any of them are fine quality. Just found the streamlined and aluminum case fit my needs a bit better.

Let me see if I still have the old Overland Journal where they compared the various awnings and I'll toss their feedback up in this thread.

post #13 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Larrivee previously said: View Post
We had a group buy on the FJCC (Ozzy forum), and got them for $350.00 with a fully enclosed annex.
I found that the Ironman, ARB,etc...are pretty much all the same, it all comes down to what color bag you want on your rack.
The Fiamma is in a different league, they are easy to put up or down by yourself, where as the others can be a pain in the wind, the downside to the Fiamma is the cost.
Yea i pretty much thought they would be the same quality. I was sort of leaning to ARB since i can get them in Canada without shipping them across the boarder. The Fiamma would be awesome to have, but i don't have the coin for that "yet" . The hard-case defiantly would be great to have. Thanks for all the input guys!.

2007 FJ -- 6SPD Manual -- Rear Lockers -- PIAA Fog's -- Black-Out MOD -- Snorkel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Larrivee previously said: View Post
You are correct. The Fiamma when I bought it was under $400, but that was 2 years ago or so. Not sure what the pricing is today. Nice thing is that it is more managable to setup by yourself than some of the other alternatives.

A Hannibal awning was actually what was reviewed as the preffered choice in the the magazine that I referenced. It's practically twice the price of the Fiamma tho from what I recall. Biggest pluses were it was the easiest to setup and stow and vehicle being able to be repositioned with the awning deployed. Downsides were the expense and the stowed configuration being fairly obtrusive, which didn't make it the most trail friendly.

post #15 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Actually I have sold the ARB RTT to a guy that now runs it on his adventure trailer. I really liked the setup for expedition travel and having one self suffiicient setup without having to tote a trailer around. Moving more towards technical wheeling these days where the weight up top isn't as friendly.

Still have the fiamaa and am quite happy with the quality. Considered both the ARB, fiamaa, and camping labs when I was looking. Don't regret my decision with the fiamaa, but any of them are fine quality. Just found the streamlined and aluminum case fit my needs a bit better.

Let me see if I still have the old Overland Journal where they compared the various awnings and I'll toss their feedback up in this thread.
Awww, i would love the RTT for camping.. I showed it to my wife and she was mortified that she has to go down the ladder at night. there where many solutions for that but whatever, i will get one someday!. Throw that thread up, i would like to take a look at it!. Thanks.

2007 FJ -- 6SPD Manual -- Rear Lockers -- PIAA Fog's -- Black-Out MOD -- Snorkel
post #16 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Loaf previously said: View Post
Awww, i would love the RTT for camping.. I showed it to my wife and she was mortified that she has to go down the ladder at night. there where many solutions for that but whatever, i will get one someday!. Throw that thread up, i would like to take a look at it!. Thanks.

But doesn't it prevent the bugs and snakes that are all over the ground from getting to her?

Just has to worry about the bears up there in the great white north

post #17 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
But dosn't it prevent the bugs and snakes that are all over the ground from getting to her?

Just has to worry about the bears up there in the great white north
Haha i tried man, you can only tell her so many times :P. I have no problem with any animals, i have had my run-in with a Grizzly last year hunting with my bow at 50 yards away lol. I will be happy never to see him again :P.

post #18 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular

I am running a Dometic on a roof rack I made.

OPEN

CLOSED

post #19 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to loup407 Send a message via Skype™ to loup407
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have two of the same Fiamma awnings that FJNewb has, one on my truck, and one on my Adventure Trailer. The hard casing was important to me, as living in CO, with our quirky weather, I was worried about a soft-sided awning's exposure to the elements. I also was concerned about the fabric case getting torn by tree branches. I had an Eeze-Awn on the FJ (which is also hard sided); but the legs are very fiddly and it's easy to scratch the side of the FJ while setting it up. It's also a handful to do solo. The Fiamma is easy for one person to setup and take down. Often, while we are FlyFishing , my wife will set up the awning and an ARB chair and take a break. I sed Fiamma mounting brackets for a Vanagon, and modified them slightly so I could bolt them to my Gobi rack.

Titanium 4x4 MT6, OF, CQ, UR, black TRD wheels, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Quikshifter kit, Man-A-Fre skids, Gobi Stealth with Fourtreks Hi-Lift and axe/shovel mounts, Icon coilovers/Icon 2.5 and ToyTec Rear Coils, Firestone airbags, ARB front and rear bumper, Warn VR10000, BFG MT 255/85/16, ARB dual compressor, Cobra 75WXST CB with Bandi Mount, National Luna Dual Battery setup, Man-a-Fre aux fuel tank, sPod electrical management, Toyota Gen 6 Nav system, LED light bar, A/T Horizon trailer, Colorado plates.
post #20 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage

I made me an awning out of a tarp and a couple metal pipes and I zip tie it to my rack. It works good. AND its total ghetto I know

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in