My DIY wood camping table - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to shack
(Thread Starter)
My DIY wood camping table

My wife and I decided to take a trip up to Redwood national forest and I thought it might be a good idea to try sleeping in the FJ. I have a small 2 man tent but with both of us and the dog it gets real tight... then again, the FJ will be real tight too, but anyways, thats what we're doing. I have a blow up mattress that we will be using in the back as well.

Now, I've read a ton of threads about guys removing their rear seats and building a full length platform to sleep on... Land Cruiser Steve's comes to mind. I didn't want to do anything quite that drastic, because I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I removed the rear seat bottoms so I could have the full range of front to rear slide for the front seats. (I know not pulling off the seat backs makes for an uneven floor, but I hope the air mattress will account for that.) I realized after testing out the air mattress that I was going to need some support up by the front seats. The mattress needs the front seats moved all the way forward to be able to lay down flat, and this creates a large void, so...

I made this:

It fits pretty nicely in the void when the front seats are moved forward. Now, my head isn't sagging into the abyss when I lay on my mattress. But, it's in the way while driving, so I decided to make the legs fold up so I could store it wherever.

I noticed that there was a bit of wobble while it sat inside the cab doing it's job... not much but just enough to piss me off. I drilled a couple holes in the legs and ran a bolt and some spacers from the stock seat hinge to the leg. Sits nice and tight now.

It also doubles as a camping table and it's the perfect height when you're sitting in a folding chair.

Also, it's strong enough to use it as a bench should the need arise. Trying to do this on the cheap, I made this all out of scrap wood I had laying around. The top is actually Luan glued to waferboard with some scrap I dado'ed out and framed it with. (F'ing love my tablesaw) The base is a 2x4 with some 6" carriage bolts securing the folding legs.

Gonna try it out this week and hopefully it works out. When we get back I'll probably throw some stain and varnish on it. If I build another, I'm going to add a drop leaf on either side and design some legs that will double the height, so I can use it as a normal table.

Anyways, hope you like it.

Last edited by shack; 04-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Re: My DIY wood camping table

I like this, simple but effective (or is it affective? I always mix them up!). I've been working on plans for a box/bed frame for my rig, but at the moment it's still only on the drawing board. I'm in TX and all my tools are in TN, however should be remedying that soon! Let me know how it goes. And I'm uber jealous about your trip, I've never made it to the Pacific Northwest, and wish to go one of these days!

Mark Twain once said, "Knowledge without experience is just information"

--------------------
Babe The Big Blue Ox

Air Raid CAI
TRD catback exhaust
MT 4x4 Outpost Off Road sliders
Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers
Rigid Industries SR-M lights on the rear
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

i just throw some gear in there to fill the void this way u would have more fule for the fire foe marshmellows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

that was an option but I didn't want to have to pile everything back in every night to try and make a flat-ish surface.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Wow! Overachiever!
That's really nice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Nice... Simple & effective. I've been working up plans for a bed consisting of a 41"x31" shelf behind the rear seats supported by 1"x10" beams along the base of the inner fenders running fore & aft. ... 2 27"x41" pieces for the front will be stored underneath the shelf & 2 transverse supports will support them when the seat cushions are removed . When the front seats are fully fwd. I will have a 54"x72" bed with storage underneath. When the cushions are in & the rear seats are in place I will have a 41"x 31" shelf with storage for totes that rest against the rear seat backs as well as the storage underneath (~8.5"x41"x36"((31"@top allowing for the slope of the rear seat back)) after I have stowed the .75"x27"x41" fwd. sections of the bed underneath. 2 of them right!) ... I will try to make a folding camping table out of the fwd. support. Great idea !!! (Big enough for my colman stove)

Last edited by jim.laite; 04-28-2012 at 03:00 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
TBrock60 previously said: View Post
Wow! Overachiever!
That's really nice.
Quote:
jim.laite previously said: View Post
Nice... Simple & effective. Great idea !!! (Big enough for my colman stove)
Thanks guys. This is the perfect size for a Coleman stove, though it's close to the ground. Once I get motivated, I'm going to do a larger, more multi-purpose, and hopefully not too much heavier version.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Rad.

"Sweep the leg!"

2007 Titanium 4X4, AT, 3" Rough Country Lift, Firestone Destination MT's 285/70/17, Trail Gear rock sliders, more mods to come!
2005 Honda S2000- mods to come!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

sounds good

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in