Switchable Attachments Tools (Shovel) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Switchable Attachments Tools (Shovel)

I always thought caring a full size shovel around would be a good idea while camping or running in the mud, but I never wanted to throw one in the FJ. I've seen some mounted to roof racks, but I don't have a roof rack.

I started to look at systems with interchangeable heads and wondered how good they could be, or if they were even useable. I've discovered over the years that most multipurpose tools are fine in a bind, but never really good at doing any one thing. (Except for my socket set)

I've found 2 different brands so far...
1. Inteletool Inteletool - The Tool Solution
They have a nice looking 4X4, ATV, Automobile Recovery Kit that could be handy for camping or digging out your car.

This would be a good start, but I think I would also add a few more attachments.
2. Ironman 4x4 : Ironman 4x4 Home
Ironman 4x4 Rugged Rescue Survival Kit is a little different than the one above. The inteltool kit is built for everyone, so no real specialized product. The Ironman kit is a bit more custom to off road use with things like the breaker bar attachment for those stubborn bolts, and the ability to use the shovel as a winch anchor point. (I'm not sure how well it works, but it is in the video)

This kit has a much shorter handle for the shovel, and is a complete kit with no other options to add later.

I'm interested to see if anyone is using either of these product, or something similar. I like the idea that they fold down for storage, but weight is also an issue. I'm not sure of the exact weight of either kit, but I've seen the Ironman kit in person, and it was pretty heavy.

-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Switchable Attachments Tools (Shovel)

I have a couple of the Max-Axe tools that I've had for several years. They work pretty good for a lot of things. It's not an everyday use type of tool, but for once in awhile stuff it's great. The tools all fit in the pouch and the axe slides in the top of the pouch and you carry it by the handles on the pouch. I've seen these being used by Forest Service crews before also. The whole thing weighs 12lbs.

Maker of the MAX ™ multipurpose tool & the Safety Impact Wrench ™

I also have one of these although I haven't used it yet. I picked it up as I wanted a flat bladed shovel where the Max Tool shovel was pointed. You can use this with the short D handle or with the longer handle. Very heavy and solid feeling. Everything fits in the bag and I would say it weighs maybe 10lbs.

AT- Accessories

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind..._detail&p=2181

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Last edited by BIGGUY; 08-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Very cool!!

2012 FJ with upgrade package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

There is also this one too.

Hi-Lift HA-500 - Hi-Lift® Handle-All™ - Quadratec

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Rugged Ridge makes a kit as well. One handle w/ ax, sledge, shovel, & pick heads. I've been lucky and have never had to use it yet.

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have the Combi-Shovel that I got from Sierra Expedition, also available from AT. The main reason I got it was that it fit in the limited space that I had for a shovel. It has worked well the couple of times that I have used it, when assembled it feels as solid as a one piece shovel. The ability to make it a short handle shovel may come in handy someday although I haven't needed it in that configuration yet. I would have preferred it to have a pointed tip instead of the flat head it comes with. The carry bag it comes with is to light duty to last very long, mine is already falling apart and for what it cost it should of come with a higher quality bag IMO.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage

I'm sure these designs are strong and have been (hopefully) tested extensively, but the idea of swinging an axe or sledge with a removable head makes me nervous...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, this is Dan Fenstemaker, inventor of Inteletool. The IVRK Inteletool vehicle recovery kit weighs 22 lbs total and is definitely heavy duty enough to swing. If you're looking for a tool kit that you can add to, this is the one you want. If you visit inteletool.com you'll find 23 garden and firefighting tool heads plus 7 telescopic poles and 10 different tool kits to choose from.

Inteletool The Tool Solution is The Tool To Own. Great for trunk, shelf or storage compartment in or on a car, 4x4, 4 wheeler, heavy equipment, shop, home, RV, remote cottage or business.
Cutting edge- the newest in garden and firefighting tool development
Quicker- just grab your duffel bag full of telescopic tools and go. No more fighting long handles. Get in and out of tough situations with the tools you need. Compact and portable. Commando ready.
Safer- No more long handles sticking out in awkward places. The telescopic feature allows for a short and long handle in one tool for short or extended reach.
More Efficient- Takes up less space. Have the tools you need when and where you need them.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the opportunity to share this with you. Dan
Attached Images

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in