Help me choose a refrigerator - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:09 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Re: Help me choose a refrigerator

You have 3 factors to consider.. Storage, dimensions and weight. They all will weigh a fair amount empty and more so full, storage and dimensions will be comparable being there is only a few places they can put the compressor and electronics. I think your best bet is to first grab some cardboard and mock up a few different models based on dimensions or eat the bullit and buy something you like. I like my frig so far and only time will tell if its worth it but still wish I had the funds to buy an ARB based off reputation and tie down system. Bug difference in a 40qt and an 80qt. All depends on how long you plan on living out of it I guess. For an 80qt I personally would be researching a travel trailer or big roof rack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have the older Engel with the metal case and it was set behind the driver's seat with the rear seat back folded down and the rear seat bottoms removed. I don't have any photos of it unfortunately. This is a photo from member Corey and his build with the older ARB which is the same thing as mine as Engel built them both. It shows pretty much how they fit in the one direction in the back seat. Mine was a little tighter because I had the Tuffy drawer so it could only slide back so far. I had to remove the handle on the one end because it poked the driver's seat. This is from Corey's build thread. If you use the google search option and put in "_______fridge/freezer back seat fj cruiser" with the name of the fridge brand to start it may bring up photos of other fridges in FJs. I just used "Corey ARB fridge fj cruiser" to find this picture as I knew he had this setup because it is what I followed with mine.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-few-mods.html

My fridge set right at the edge of the top of the folded down rear seat back. I plugged it into an always hot 12v outlet of which I had two installed at the bottom rear of the console. I had a dual battery setup in the FJ and with both batteries isolated from each other I let the fridge run up to about 5 days without it draining the battery.
tomwill55, NyNomad and Bar3K like this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Last edited by BIGGUY; 05-11-2015 at 07:05 PM.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Wanderlust

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

@axamo : I don't have any experience with Whynter portable fridge/freezers but Whynter and Edgestar are made by the same company. At your price range, I'd consider portable fridge/freezer using either Sawafuji swing motor (e.g. Engel and old ARB), "real" Secop/Danfoss (e.g. new ARB) or Waeco compressor (e.g. Dometic/Waeco CFX series). From my research, Edgestar also uses a Danfoss design compressor (lower quality knock-off in some units). The less costly units usually come with lower quality electronics so may not be as durable/reliable in the long run. As for internal volume size, anything much larger than 40 to 50 liter would be too big for the FJ's interior. Also keep in mind that you'd need a few inches of clearance around the fridge's compressor area for cooling. An insulating/protective cover is highly recommended. Also, I'd install a 12V outlet with a 10A fuse with at least 12AWG wires (10 AWG would be better) and keep the ground wire as short as possible.

Personally, I've had my old Engel/ARB 43-qts fridge/freezer since 2007 and have used it quite often, including a 3-month long trip to AK (Engel still has the MT-45 model; the new ARB is not produced by Engel). I chose the Engel/ARB mostly for the simpler Sawafuji compressor that has fewer parts compared to the Danfoss (who has made compressors for the portable market for a long time). IMO, The only downsides to the old ARB are: 1. its hinges while quite strong allows the top to come off too easily even with the hinge locks installed and 2. it's very heavy at 66 lbs with its metal housing. I've attached a more recent review from AUS (2015) of some current portable fridge/freezers. HTH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4WD228_fridge_comparo_2.pdf (2.58 MB, 469 views)
Bar3K likes this.

Last edited by TCao; 05-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Wanderlust

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Forgot to mention that you'd also need a good way to secure the portable fridge/freezer in the FJ; in an accident, the last thing you'd need is a 100-lb projectile bouncing inside the truck. I use a steel Engel slide but there are good designs from ARB, Front Runner and Waeco also.

NyNomad likes this.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

It is an investment. Roll the dice (such as i ) or buy an ARB.

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
TCao previously said: View Post
I've attached a more recent review from AUS (2015) of some current portable fridge/freezers. HTH
Thanks - some interesting reading and food for thought. Their overall pick was the Dometic/Waeco CFX-50, which does not appear to be available in the US - only models of that type I can find are the the 35 qt and 65 qt (and the latter is really only available on-line from a couple of companies, which makes me a little nervous).

It looks like the Engel and ARB units also did well - always nice to have independent and (seemingly) objective data to work with, although most owners of these units seem very happy with them. Definitely some things to consider!

Will for food!
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

I'm going to do some data collecting on my Edgestar. With the frig thermostat and a secondary, at 30deg I'm going to record for an hour or two at what temperatures the frig turns on and off and how long it runs for. I'll post the Results by Friday night

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Well, I made my decision much sooner than I expected. Home Depot is running what appears to be a 1-day sale on Whynter products, and they have the FM-62DZ for $580 (+tax, free shipping). I had read several reviews of it on a variety of websites and forums, and it seemed most people who had bought one were happy with their purchase. I raced home today and found a large box that was almost exactly the same size as the fridge - pulled out the passenger side back seat in my FJ, and stuffed the box in there to see what it looked like. It just barely fits, with what looks like enough room to provide ventilation and space to open both lids (and I still have full use of the driver's side back seat).

I'm still not 100% sure it's going to be a good fit for that space, but I felt good enough about it that I went ahead and ordered the fridge - figured if it doesn't work I can always return it or try and sell it. It should be here in about a week - will let everyone know how it works out.
Bar3K likes this.

Will for food!
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

Awesome! As long as it keeps things cold and no need for ice I'd say you have a winner!. Get the dimensions, cut and mold cardboard to spec and "Let it buck"

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
axamo previously said: View Post
Well, I made my decision much sooner than I expected. Home Depot is running what appears to be a 1-day sale on Whynter products, and they have the FM-62DZ for $580 (+tax, free shipping). I had read several reviews of it on a variety of websites and forums, and it seemed most people who had bought one were happy with their purchase. I raced home today and found a large box that was almost exactly the same size as the fridge - pulled out the passenger side back seat in my FJ, and stuffed the box in there to see what it looked like. It just barely fits, with what looks like enough room to provide ventilation and space to open both lids (and I still have full use of the driver's side back seat).

I'm still not 100% sure it's going to be a good fit for that space, but I felt good enough about it that I went ahead and ordered the fridge - figured if it doesn't work I can always return it or try and sell it. It should be here in about a week - will let everyone know how it works out.
Axamo: looks like a great deal. One question I have after reviewing the HD specs; there's no mention of a low-battery shut-off. That would be my only concern.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in