40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply

Does anyone own, or does anyone have any feedback on this cooler?

Coleman - 40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply-Coolers | Ice Chests | Thermoelectric Coolers | Marine Coolers

Bass Pro carries the 12 volt version (still have to check whether they carry the one that has the 110 volt converter model), and I was seriously considering using a gift card I received to pick one of these up...

Dennis' Titanium 'Bird of Prey':
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mattmainster
Re: 40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply

DominicG has one, but I don't think he is very happy with it. It only cools down 30 degrees below the ambient air temp. and will kill your battery in a hurry if you aren't careful. I prefer a cooler.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
mattmainster previously said: View Post
DominicG has one, but I don't think he is very happy with it. It only cools down 30 degrees below the ambient air temp. and will kill your battery in a hurry if you aren't careful. I prefer a cooler.
I used one on my trip to chicago and It worked just fine, but most the time I was driving so the battery stayed charged up and I'd plug it into the hotel at nights. I think an Ice cooler still is a better option. I returned it right after I got back home. I got the Extreme 7 day cooler and it will literally keep Ice frozen for a week if you open it as little as possible.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Forum Superstar

save your pennies and go with an Engel/ARB or a Waeco.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Sounds like the general consensus is to forget about the powered cooler.

I was wavering, and now think I'll just get a Coleman Xtreme cooler, instead. I can't justify spending greater than $300 for a small ARB or Engels right now. I can live with getting ice...

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via AIM to mattmainster

I've heard really good things about the Coleman xtreme cooler.
I think I might get one too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Downwind

I have both the extreme and the thermoelectric. Here's my .03
Extreme: +great at holding temps, -small interior size for it's bulky exterior, -melted ice slooshing in the back of the rig gets annoying, -still have to buy ice.
Thermo: +quiet, +can cool it down inside and then plug it into the FJ, +no ice sloshing, -it takes juice from the battery ( I have it plugged into a seperate 12v that is only powered when the ignition is on for this reason), -does not get really cold, +price is good for either, -can't put ice in it

I have the thermo in my rig at all times, always plugged in and always with at least a gallon of water in it.

I considered the Engel, but decided to upgrade the fridge in my house for the same price

SOLDSOLD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
cruzinwyo previously said: View Post
I considered the Engel, but decided to upgrade the fridge in my house for the same price
I hear ya.

So, I went to Wally World and picked up a 70qt Coleman Xtreme cooler after work yesterday. I'm going to look into Techni Ice and using frozen water bottles, too, to eliminate sloshing and spillage...

If the costs of powered refrigeration ever starts coming down to be a reasonable alternative, then I'll start looking again at getting something like that. Otherwise, they're not an option right now.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Miss R2FJ

Don't waste your money IMO. Save up and just buy the Engel. I bought one of these earlier this year and halfway through our second trip with it the fuse fried out and it stopped working. I returned it and we just spent the money on an Engel 45. Best $600 mod to the truck ever.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in