Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Great COMPACT camping chair. Pic's!!

18K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  ThyIrishMen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As some of you know, along with my passion for the FJ, I also have a passion for BMW motorcycles. If I have learned one thing from BMW motorcycle people, It is when they say something is the best......IT IS!! For years I have been told about a great-compact camping chair called the Kermit chair. It pack's down to a very small size, An Important feature if you are packing it with camping gear on a motorcycle. The chair also has a reputation for extreme sturdiness(and this is important because of the cost!).
This year Sandabbe and I decided to invest in two of these chairs to go camping with. The space these chairs save as opposed to regular folding chairs is astounding!! Two chairs take up about 1/4 the space of a folding camp chair! Then there is the COMFORT!!! WAY BETTER than the old stand by.
The owners of the company are avid motorcycle campers. They also provide STELLAR customer service! Example: I paid for the chairs using two different cards. One of the cards bounced back(hey!, it happens to the best of us!) I didn't find out about the bounced card until AFTER the two chairs shipped!!( I took care of the payment of the second chair within seconds of finding out)
I called the owner to square away the account and to thank him for sending out both chairs. He said he knew we needed both chairs at the same time and that he just knew I would take care of the payment.(how did he KNOW that??) This is an example of "Old school"customer service!!!
Here are the pic's of the chair...........
[/IMG]
The chair assembled. AND next to it on the right the chair when in it's bag.
[/IMG]
This is what you have when you pull the unassembled chair out of the bag.

The chair is made from oak, Nylon with singed ends and aluminum. The wood is double dipped in marine grade urethane and is very durable!
Leg extensions to make the chair taller are available as well as a drink holder.
You can order one from the web site Kermit Chair - The Original Touring Chair :bigthumb:

See less See more
#4 ·
Not yet. the drink holder is next!

#3 ·
Nice chair....By the way, I fixed your link, it wasn't working. :)

Mike

#5 ·
Thank you mike!!!:bigthumb:

#7 ·
thats a good looking chair. Do you know how they would do in the sand, do the sink down into to much?

#8 ·
We had ours in Idaho silt. They did just fine.

#9 ·
Those are some nice compact chairs!!!:rocker:

#11 ·
Heres one on my wishlist
the PICO chair.

The only drawback is the 100 dollar price but man are they cool.
That PICO is on my wish list too. That $100 is the only drawback.

#12 ·
hey will the kermit chair hold me?

#14 ·
Both of those chairs look pretty comfortable.

I absolutely hate those cheap-a$$ nut-squeezin' collapsible chairs that most people carry with them.

#31 ·
I absolutely hate those cheap-a$$ nut-squeezin' collapsible chairs that most people carry with them.
:rofl::rofl: So true too - Proof that you really do get what you pay for!

Yep, me too. One of these days I'll justify throwing down a couple hundred for a pair of Picos. Those things are the absolute bomb! (I always buy crap like that in pairs so I've got my passenger covered in the event they forget their own gear.)

Howls,
FJ Wolf

#17 ·
Not to hijack the thread or the quality of the "Kermit" - but I have had great success with this version from REI.
Comfortable, sturdy, folds down almost flat - and affordable.

#20 ·
I'm not saying that those chairs are not good, I'm just saying that they take up valuable space. THAT'S where the kermit chair shines. Like I said ,it still takes up HALF the space when it's in the bag as funjunkies. Again.... NOT BETTER, JUST MORE COMPACT.

#25 · (Edited)
well here is my attempt to show you the ease of assembly, this is a short video of me putting the chair together in real time!! please click on 'play' in the picture below to start the short video clip!

[/URL][/IMG]

It is so easy that sandabbe gets hers together faster than i get mine together!lol:)

#27 ·
well here is my attempt to show you the ease of assembly, this is a short video of me (that's right me) putting the chair together in real time!! please click on 'play' in the picture below of ME to start the short video clip!

[/URL][/IMG]

It is so easy that sandabbe gets hers together faster than i get mine together!lol:)

That was amazing...but how many shakes Does it take to get to the center of the baggie chair:rofl:J/K:rocker: Damn Kids These Days:lol:

#26 ·
I would like to see a battle of the bag chairs!!! A cosmic race of which can fold up to be labelled the world's Smallest and F:jester:astest...Chair?

#32 ·
Wrig, that is one SWEET looking chair. You know when we go to jazzfest here in NOLA, those would really be the bomb! I think that I need to look at a pair of those for us here! Thanks!!!!

#33 ·
Well in the words of another great singer(JT), That's why I'm here.:wave:

#34 ·
We have the Picos and they rock. We don't even bother with the bags. They seriously fold and unfold in about 4 seconds. Built in cup holder and pocket. Buy them at REI and you get the lifetime return policy. On top of that they are comfy and durable.

I like the Kermits, they look really comfortable to relax with around camp, but I'm sold on my Picos!

#36 ·
You may want to go the company web sites for that one. Both wood (Oak) and aluminum are fairly strong. Just don't dent the aluminum.

#38 ·
I have to admit I was a little put off by the cost (We could buy a lot of cheap chairs for the price of two!) but after using them, i am sold, we will be getting the leg extensions and cup holders! They are lightweight, easy to assemble (as seen in the video clip) and space saving too! Perfect for camping, tailgate parties, jazz & blues festivals, and hanging around the garage, or anything else you need a chair for!! The Pico's look nice too! but wrigman was looking to save space for our Idaho camping adventure! :)

#41 ·
You can also get the Kermit Chairs from our friends (John and Ho) over at Expedition Exchange.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/kermitchair/

They have a great shop here in SoCal (Torrance).

I've been looking at this chair for a while myself, glad to hear you are liking it Scott.

I'm going to check out the Picco as well.

It will come down to comfort for me.

:cheers:

#42 ·
Thanks Vince! It's kind of cool to know that someone local has them in stock if I need another one. But I tell you, dealing with the owners direct is a pleasure too! they porvide first rate service!:cheers:

#43 ·
Well, today the 800lb gorilla test was conducted. I'm happy to report that both the chair and gorilla are doing fine!:bigthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.