Food Saver machine for camping food - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Food Saver machine for camping food

I have one of these vacuum sealers. Not the upright one, I bought it about a year ago. It works great!

The local store had a great sale on Porterhouse steaks on labor day weekend. $3.99 per pound. I bought up a bunch and cut them into smaller steaks and then sealed them with the vacuum sealer.

The problem with freezing meat is that as the meat slowly gets cold from the freezer, large ice crystals form in the meat that puncture the cell walls. When you thaw the meat, you see a lot of juice come out. The trick is, the faster you freeze it, the smaller the ice crystals will be, and the jucier your steak will be. So.....I went into work and brought home a dewar of liquid nitrogen. Flash froze the steaks and all is good!

Then I made instant ice cream with the rest of the liquid nitrogen. Then I froze various things around the apartment and eneded up hammering in a nail with a frozen banana. weeeeee!!!!!

RH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Corey previously said: View Post
Lets say you want to cook up a stroganoff dish at home, then you can bag it, freeze it, then take them camping and simply drop the bag into a pot of water to warm it up?
Yes.

I'm lazy and don't have a camp frig yet, so I just bring along freeze dried backpacker food, instant oatmeal and instant beverages (coffee, tea, Tang and Kool Aid) and soups, which only requires the addition of boiling water. Actually, even after I get my frig, I'm only planning to carry beer & Coke in it. You can get 10 six packs in an Engle MT45, which should last me at leat a week or 2.

But, if you MUST have "real" food while camping, the Food Saver is the best way to package it. You can precook dishes and just boil to reheat. Certain recipes work better than others, so some pretesting at home is required.

Braised or slow cooked dishes like stroganoff, tuna cassarole, and stews, as well as precooked ham, sausages, scrambled eggs, chicken, pasta, tomatoes, mac & cheese, beans, soups, rice, potatos & slightly cooked fresh veggies (or canned) reheat well in boiling water. However, steaks & chops tend to overcook when reheated, so you may have to seal & freeze and/or frig them raw and grill them on site instead.

Marty

2017 Summit White Chevy Bolt
2012 Charcoal Grey Metallic Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 335i
2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT - Bought 04/11/14 SOLD 3/4/17
2007 Titanium Metallic Toyota FJ Cruiser AT - Bought in May 2007. SOLD 9/9/11
2002 Island Blue Ford F250 4x4 7.3L TD SC LB Lariat
2002 Absolutely Red Toyota MR2 Spyder
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YOu know I have ano older one that I also got at Cost-co.. Now you guys have me thinking about making cooking food at camp alot easier !! I will have to pull it down and blow the dust off of it..

Boss
==============
Mountain Transit Authority WWW.MTA4x4.com
http://norcalfjs.ning.com
TLCA # 16404
web_forest.gif
2007 FJC
1970 FJ40
1963 Plymouth Fury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've also got a Food Saver. Great device!

I buy a side of beef every year, and vacuum pack the meat to store in the freezer. Removing the oxygen from the package prevents freezer burn, and assists in freezing the meat solidly. When I'm ready to cook, I can take a package of meat from the freezer, soak it in warm water for twenty minutes or so, and the meat is just as fresh as when it was initially frozen.

Here's a tip for liquids and/or soft foods (like spaghetti, stroganoff, soups, etc.): Use a small tupperware-type storage container (one that will fit within the freezer bag), or use a zip-lock freezer bag, and slightly pre-freeze the food. Once the liquidy food is somewhat frozen, you can then dump the contents into a Food Saver vacuum bag and seal it without a massive liquid mess.

Edit: Same technique works for breads, too. Slightly freezing keeps the bread from crushing when activating the vacuum. Plus, you can control when to seal the bag, so right at the crush point hit the Seal button to prevent crushing...

Dennis' Titanium 'Bird of Prey':
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors

Last edited by JoeUser; 10-20-2008 at 08:07 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Great tips folk's!
Some food I will want to cook up "live" on the camp stove such as eggs, nothing like the smell of cooking breakfast when camping.

But a lot of the time consuming dinner stuff sounds great.
Pre-cook at home, freeze, then put in the ARB fridge to slowly thaw.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Another idea is put some matches along with other survival stuff vacume seal them and put them in your pack.

My wife and I use ours alot for the Costco runs.... As much as I love steaks I just cant eat 12 and one sitting.

MODS:
RC 6" lift-Radflo Coilovers-Custom Driveshaft-Spidertrax 1.25" spacers-285/75 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers-Hella 500's-TRD Intake.
FJ Sold

2013 Tundra - Icon Stage 3 - Icon UCA - 285/75 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 - Fuel Rims
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I just saw the Food Saver at Costco yesterday.

I'm going to go back today and buy one but I'm going to keep in it the box until I actually decide to use it and, if I don't, I can just return it for a refund.

Update 10/23/08:

I went back to Costco today, but the cost of the FoodSaver plus an extra box of bags was going to cost about $200! Decided I didn't "need" it enough to pay that price, especially since I don't have a frig yet. I'll reconsider the purchase when I actually get a frig.

Marty

2017 Summit White Chevy Bolt
2012 Charcoal Grey Metallic Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 335i
2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT - Bought 04/11/14 SOLD 3/4/17
2007 Titanium Metallic Toyota FJ Cruiser AT - Bought in May 2007. SOLD 9/9/11
2002 Island Blue Ford F250 4x4 7.3L TD SC LB Lariat
2002 Absolutely Red Toyota MR2 Spyder

Last edited by Swingshiftworker; 10-23-2008 at 02:11 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

My friend also tells me they have plastic containers too that you hook a hose to from the machine to suck out air.
That would work too for food for the trail you want to carry in your fridge or cooler.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Forum Veteran

I guess my thoughts are I am not on the road that long to worry about it so freezer bags work for me

also part of my camping is the cooking outdoors and over fires if I can or making a fun breakfast on the griddle

I can see how they can be handy but I also have a hard time swallowing the price
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

The main benefit though is not for camping, but for home use.
Camping food is just a side benefit from it.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in