Cargo solution: Light weight, adjustable, multipurpose - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Re: Cargo solution: Light weight, adjustable, multipurpose

Very cool... I'm sold. Perfect. Hope you don't mind if I use your design; There will definitely be similarities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
5AND5TORM previously said: View Post
Me likey. I like that you can use the cargo mat and can access the jack and outlet.
I might make something like yours this weekend. It would be nice if the legs could extent to 3 or 4 time the length. I would also want some more tie downs on top to secure anything up there.

Quote:
Cammo previously said: View Post
What he said. If anyone finds/knows where extending legs are, post up!

Maybe have two sets of legs with threaded bases? One set for use as a table and one set for travel.. or even two of those heavy folding legs from a display table.. they could just fold up while traveling. You wouldn't even have to remove the short ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I guess they would fold flat if they were staggered by one inch. The minimum table size would only have to be about 27" deep x 32" wide and it can be larger as required..(OP has about 28 3/8" x 43 5/16")

Then you could have the short legs mounted on there too.
8" -http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
16" -http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Or you could have the removable ones with the screw-in brackets in the corners..
28" x 1 5/8" square wooden legs, screw-in -http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Metal Brackets -http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Last edited by PSYCHO BILLY; 11-28-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added link
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I used Psychlone's idea as the basis for my first storage setup but I did several things differently. The overall weight of the wood deck and two plastic tubs was less than 30 pounds. I used this setup from '08 until summer '11 and it did a great job.

1st, my plywood deck was scribed and tapered to fit tight on the left and tight under the subwoofer.
2nd, I have one vertical support placed to allow two tubs to the left and my compressor and tool bag on the right while still allowing access to the jack and the plug.
3rd, my CO2 tank is securely fastened to the left rear panel and then attached down to the deck.
4th, my plastic drawers were sourced from Global Industrial and can be pulled out like a drawer and left open without fear of falling out.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
I used Psychlone's idea as the basis for my first storage setup but I did several things differently. The overall weight of the wood deck and two plastic tubs was less than 30 pounds. I used this setup from '08 until summer '11 and it did a great job.

1st, my plywood deck was scribed and tapered to fit tight on the left and tight under the subwoofer.
2nd, I have one vertical support placed to allow two tubs to the left and my compressor and tool bag on the right while still allowing access to the jack and the plug.
3rd, my CO2 tank is securely fastened to the left rear panel and then attached down to the deck.
4th, my plastic drawers were sourced from Global Industrial and can be pulled out like a drawer and left open without fear of falling out.

I really like your new set-up with your refrigerator, Woodsman, but for me, since I don't have a shop right now, this one would work perfectly. I can go to Home Depot and have them cut everything I need on their panel saw. I kinda' like the OP's table idea as well as the ease of removal, versatility, and simplicity.. and I like the way your's has the platform extending out over the fenderwells. That could actually eliminate the need for the legs on the OP's version, depending on the height of the containers... one could even just make some wooden containers (drawers) at a specific height with handles (cut-outs) on both ends. Your divider would add enough rigidity for anything you'd want to load as well as providing the lateral security needed for the containers. If you wanted to put screw-in legs on it, the divider could even be installed with a hinge so it could be folded up while using as a table. I'm glad you guys presented your ideas.. I've been contemplating a simple storage solution. Thank You!

Last edited by PSYCHO BILLY; 11-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So is anyone using the MPAC for the rear door with any of these drawers or cargo solutions? I may get an MPAC in the future and want to know how many inches I need to leave between the rear door and the shelf to clear the standard bags that come with the rear door MPAC. Or if someone is using a shorter Maxpedition set of bags, please post a pic.

Woodsman, it almost looks like you cut out a slight curve in your shelf. Is that to accomodate the MPAC?

Thanks!

2010 FJ Cruiser 4x4-Silver Fresco

ProComp 1028 Wheels Polished 17x8.5, Good Year Wrangler Duratrac 265/70-17, Baja Utility Rack, Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, Toytec Rear Springs, Rear Bilstein 5100's w/ longer travel, Tepui Roof Top Tent, Allpro Sliders w/ kickout and filler plates.

Last edited by Remodelboy; 11-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Source for short legs (and long) similar to the legs used by the OP.

Cabinet Height Legs : Table Legs, Table Legs For Commercial and Industrial Applications

ProComp 1028 Wheels Polished 17x8.5, Good Year Wrangler Duratrac 265/70-17, Baja Utility Rack, Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, Toytec Rear Springs, Rear Bilstein 5100's w/ longer travel, Tepui Roof Top Tent, Allpro Sliders w/ kickout and filler plates.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Remodelboy previously said: View Post
So is anyone using the MPAC for the rear door with any of these drawers or cargo solutions? I may get an MPAC in the future and want to know how many inches I need to leave between the rear door and the shelf to clear the standard bags that come with the rear door MPAC. Or if someone is using a shorter Maxpedition set of bags, please post a pic.

Woodsman, it almost looks like you cut out a slight curve in your shelf. Is that to accomodate the MPAC?

Thanks!
Yes, I did cut a "scallop" in the back to accommodate the MPAC. It was causing me headaches though because those few lost inches would prevent me from carrying my luggage, tent, sleeping pad, etc in a front-to-back orientation. It would have made more sense to buy longer plastic tubs and forget the MPAC and that is the direction I am moving now. I have removed the MPAC as I no longer consider them to be an efficient use of space. For example, I now have everything that was in the MPAC bags in one old Ridgid rechargeable drill case (the kind everyone throws away) and put it in the drawer or behind the front seat or wherever it fits best.

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Woodsman, thanks for the quick reply! Since you seem to be in a generous mood with your responses, what type of sheet material did you use. From the pics, it looks like it might be a piece of black melamine. Or is it just painted black. In hindsight, is there any other material that you might have used.

Thanks!

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Remodelboy previously said: View Post
Woodsman, thanks for the quick reply! Since you seem to be in a generous mood with your responses, what type of sheet material did you use. From the pics, it looks like it might be a piece of black melamine. Or is it just painted black. In hindsight, is there any other material that you might have used.

Thanks!
It was "cabinet grade" 3/4" birch plywood (7 ply) and I used the roll-on bedliner stuff you can pickup at your local auto parts or home improvement place. Baltic birch is also a great choice but stay away from melamine and MDF (heavy) and building grade plywood such as AC and CDX grades which is lower quality and won't be flat.

Here's where the tubs came from: https://www.globalindustrial.com/c/s...s?ref=h/footer

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in