Binos and Spotting Scopes. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Camping Equipment Camping equipment - tents, stuff at camp, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Binos and Spotting Scopes.

Thanks for the input everyone. Now that I know where to look... the search begins! Does Carl Zeiss make the lenses for any of these companies? I'm just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Toledo FJ previously said: View Post
So, What are you guys using. What is the best shiz out there? I don't know too much about optics, other than you get what you pay for, and high end optics vastly outperform even good optics. Mostly interested in using them to glass for sheds and game. Also just a good thing to have if you live in the Mtns. Suggestions?
I have utilized a variety of binoculars in the field from Africa to Alaska in a wide range of environmental conditions. Over the years I have gotten good service from Bausch & Lomb, Steiner, Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica. Zeiss and Leica are my personal preferences. The binoculars that I currently utilize are Leica Ultravid 8x32. I prefer a compact 8x binocular. They are light weight and provide a crisp clear steady image. 10x binoculars are also worth considering in my opinion but are not as steady as the 8x models.

I have had the opportunity to field test the Leica Geovid 10x42 binoculars with integral range finder. This is an excellent binocular for those who prefer an integrated rangefinder.

You didn't ask about rangefinders but thought I would mention also. Currently, I utilize the Leica Rangemaster CRF 1200. By far this is the best compact rangefinder I have ever used. You owe yourself a look through one if you have not used one of these before. The CRF is the size of a wallet, lightweight, and has crystal clear 7X magnification. Operation is one handed and readings are extremely fast. The 7x viewfinder is also great when you move through brush and needing a quick peek without pulling up your binoculars.

Spotting scopes are a different animal and it really depends what you want to use them for specifically or if it will be more general service in nature. Size (and weight) might be an issue for you. If you are just spotting game or looking for sheds, a higher quality spotting scope may not be what you need in my opinion. Don't forget to also consider a higher power binocular on a tripod as an option for your needs. Peering through a spotting scope for hours can be a strain on the eyes.

If you are trying to judge size and conformation the Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski spots are all great choices. All three handle differently so you should see which features you like best and compare them side by side before you buy as these can get expensive. Find a local Cabela's to check them out.

Good luck with your purchase. Looking is half the fun!

FJ-2007:Titanium Silver-4X4-A/T-Rear Diff Lok
Install History: TRD exhaust/K & N air filter/Warn rear bumper/ARB bull bar/Warn 9.5 XP/A-Trac/Sylvania Silver Star Ultra/Aeroflow HLC/Putco LED dome/17X9 MT/Mud-Terrain TA KM2 285 70R17/DO Hybrid sliders/ICON Stage 3 Suspension/Total Chaos A-arm Skids/MAF 4+Plus Skids/Scan Gauge II/AVIC-F700BT/Audiovox ACA200W Rear Camera/Infinity REF3022CF/Lucrum Rear Swingout
Miscellaneous: KI6WZI/Hi-Lift/Warn & ARB recovery gear/Powertank #10 system/Staun 6-30 deflators/Halon & Dry chem/Tire repair kit
www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
www.diizchesafari.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8k8W03M2I
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to targa88

Toledo FJ,
Since I think you are in MT- you might want to check with Scott @ Libertyoptics.com. I have dealt with him before; real stand up guy. Great selection/prices. Located in Kalispell, MT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Forum Veteran

like everyone said, zeiss, leica, and swarovski (in no particular order). Second to those optics i would suggest leupold, nikon, pentax, minox. Then you have optics like bushnell and burris which are okay, Definitely avoid BARSKA and BSA. Im a LE firearms instuctor in NJ and we see all kinds of stuff, really high end stuff and the bottom of the barrel commy crap.

2007, Ti Sil, 285/70/17 BFG KM2s, OME 885/895, Safari Snorkel, ARB roof rack, IPF 868 rack lights, Gobi ladder, custom flowmaster exhaust w/ high clearance tail pipe, 5000K HIDs, swissarmy overhead console, Cobra 75Wxst CB w/ Bandi mount,scuba mod demello sliders, fourtreks hilift and dual tool mounts, TRD quickshifter,Demello 3 hoop front bumper,Ram laptop mount.TT diff drop, 2 Kragen HIDs, BudBuilt skids, Superwinch LP8500

Soon to have: ????????????
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
fka trailman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to capt._bucko
Lifetime Supporting Member

i dont know much about this stuff. i am kinda new to this just like the fj but i got a pair of braska binos, the power is 20x50 i also have a tasco 20x-60x spotter. like i said i just got the spotter for the range and i really like it. the binos i got for free with another order. they are good for bird watching and things like that.

trail team edition, 285-75/R16 general grabbers, M-PAC Rack, satellite radio, garmin gps, 2 M-81 storage box,homemade shelf, led puck lights,replaced dome lights with leds. 2 Factory hella Driving Lights with yellow film, tinted windows, trailgear sliders,cobra cb with a bandi mount and fire fly ant,vent shades. Removable sleep platform blacked out emblems, gobi ladder, Bajarack flat rack/homemade TREDZ mount. 2 LEDs under the radio. Custom side rack with fire extinguisher and a 10lb power tank.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Forum Veteran

all our boats on Maui had Swarovski and for how abused they were working on sail boats they held up very well
and had incredible clear viewing etc..

I think when you get to Steiner or Swarovski its what they are for ? and view with your eyes to see what you like best

I just have a nice set of Leupold as I set a $400 top budget for a nice pair to carry around and since I wear glasses the relief felt the best to me

like anything I would say try to find a place to look through them if you can

Last edited by Honu; 09-08-2009 at 12:37 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
targa88 previously said: View Post
Toledo FJ,
Since I think you are in MT- you might want to check with Scott @ Libertyoptics.com. I have dealt with him before; real stand up guy. Great selection/prices. Located in Kalispell, MT.
I'd also second Scott at Liberty Optics. I got my IOR FFP from him.....at about $300 than the closest competition.

Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Sean K. previously said: View Post
I'd also second Scott at Liberty Optics. I got my IOR FFP from him.....at about $300 than the closest competition.

Sean
Thanks again. I'll get in touch with him and see if he can help guide my decision based on my use.

I think I'm going to go with the Binoculars first. Hell, if they do the job, I may just stick with the spotting scope I have. My new house came partially furnished. The previous owner kept a Nikon in the kitchen for looking at the elk and deer herds up on the mountain. It is one of things that came with the house. I'm not sure of the model number, but I think it retails for around $500. I only paid a little over a hundred. A nice set of binos may preclude my need for a new scope.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Camping Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in