3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is a "Peak and Tune" and do you need one?

So, I thought I'd start writing some articles on CB radio to help dis spell some of the "myths" that go along with them. I'll always advocate getting your Amateur Radio (HAM) ticket, but also support the use of CB radio on the trail and as a fun hobby.

So here we go!

Many times you hear about a "peak and tune" on a CB radio. (Which can actually be done on any type of transceiver) They are advertised on just about every CB radio repair shop wall and truck stops around the US.

What exactly is a peak and tune?
Your CB radio has two sections. The transmitter and the receiver. These sections are made up of various "stages" that are coupled together by various electronic components that are "tuned" to assure the electronic single is passed along at it's highest value. The best analogy that I can give mechanical folks is back in the day trying to get those multi-carb engines where all the carbs are tuned together.

All the little silver cans in this photo represent transformers connecting various stages of the radio. Please DO NOT start turning these with your screwdriver!

When a CB is set up at the factory, it is normally set up with 80% modulation and dead on 4 watts of transmit power to remain well below the FCC regulations.

So the first part of the peak and tune is checking to assure the radio is transmitting exactly on frequency. We connect a frequency counter and assure we're spot on frequency. We then adjust the modulation to 100% and check the output power, and align the stages to assure we're getting maximum transmit power while talking into the mic. (this is the peaking portion) One word of advice is that if you have a shop tell you that they are going to clip out the Modulation Limiter, RUN AWAY! This almost always ends badly with a radio that sounds like crap.

Next, we inject frequency from a calibrated transmitter into the radio and align all of the receiver stages to assure that the radio is receiving dead on frequency for the best performance. At this point, we'll also reduce the power from that calibrated source and adjust the squelch threshold and the S meter. This is the "Tune" portion of the job.

The very last thing that I do is an audio check of the transmitter to make sure that radio sounds like it should then we close it up, clean it up and your on your way.

I will state here that there is absolutely nothing illegal or against FCC regulations about peaking and tuning a CB radio.

Do you need a Peak and Tune?
For trail use, most radios, out of the box are great performers and acceptable for that usage. It isn't a necessity. Now, if you're dealing with a used radio, I'd say to get one done by a reputable shop. That's just to be sure you're getting the most out of your purchase. Many shops will do this for you as part of the purchase of a new radio.

Some words of warning:
Like any other business there are good and bad out there. I have seen shops that take radios in for a Peak and Tune and do nothing to it then charge the customer $40 for it! Some shops do these and make the radio worse than before. (like cutting out modulation limiters) There are some great shops out there that do great work. Shop around! Ask if you can watch them do the work.

What should it cost?
This is just my humble opinion. If you buy a new radio, the shop will normally do this for free. SWR checks are done for free. A P&T really should not cost over $40.

That's about it! Feel free to ask any questions if I left something murky.
OBXCRUZR and Lee44 like this.

Last edited by Vegas_Nick; 11-30-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: What is a "Peak and Tune" and do you need one?

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more of your articles.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the info not used to not having a radio shop to take it to for problems.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Old18C previously said: View Post
Thanks for the info not used to not having a radio shop to take it to for problems.
You are very welcome!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Just wanted to bump this back to the top. Any chance on a sticky for this and the buyers guide?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Bump back to the top for visibility
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks Nick! Good stuff.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Bump back to the top because people have asked.,
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

So what, specifically, is done to increase the radio from the factory 4 watts to 24 watts? The guy I bought my radio from said he had it increased. (My radio works flawlessly and sounds great)

(I have a full size Uniden PC78 Elite)

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Last edited by Winterpeg; 07-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Winterpeg previously said: View Post
So what, specifically, is done to increase the radio from the factory 4 watts to 24 watts? The guy I bought my radio from said he had it increased. (My radio works flawlessly and sounds great)

It really depends on the radio. If he didn't change out any parts, I'd call BS on his claim unless it is a Stryker or Galaxy. That is an awesome radio but unless he changed it out to MOSFET finals, you're still only looking at maybe 6-8 watts max. Even the BC-980, which I have tuned a lot of , will only do about 8 watts.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > CB / HAM / Communications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in