Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: CB Install SWR tuning question

Quote:
Teikas Dad previously said: View Post
Bringing an old thread back to life....I've got CB issues that I need some help with.

I did a full detailing of the FJ after the rough winter we had. ......

Your target are the upper numbers on the first scale 0,1, 1.5, 2 right over the SWR lettering. the lower the better.

Retry all your connections, did you put all the pieces back on the antenna mount ? The little plastic washer between the antenna mount and the Bandi mount ? I got the same thing this spring when i changed my mount, undid everything, remounted and all was good.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam

Last edited by Cholerabob; 06-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
Cholerabob previously said: View Post
Your target are the upper numbers on the first scale 0,1, 1.5, 2 right over the SWR lettering. the lower the better.

Retry all your connections, did you put all the pieces back on the antenna mount ? The little plastic washer between the antenna mount and the Bandi mount ? I got the same thing this spring when i changed my mount, undid everything, remounted and all was good.

Yup, I've taken it apart and put it back together about four times...still the same thing. I'm going to make sure all the connections on the mount and antenna are super clean - meaning NO dielectric grease in sight. I'm beginning to wonder if the antenna is shot. It's an 8 year old Wilson. When I park the FJ in the garage I bend the antenna over and slip it under the top rail of the roof rack so I don't hit the garage door. Maybe it finally gave up the ghost from all the bending. The good news is the new antenna coax I just got came with all new mounting hardware including a heavy duty spring. I added the spring on top of the mount to give the antenna more flex.

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Garage

Where are you taking your readings? Out in the middle of nowhere, or inside your garage or near power lines or buildings? Are you replacing the rubber cap on top of your antenna every time you take a reading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
shrdnar previously said: View Post
Where are you taking your readings? Out in the middle of nowhere, or inside your garage or near power lines or buildings? Are you replacing the rubber cap on top of your antenna every time you take a reading?
A couple hundred feet down the driveway from my house. No other houses or power lines around. I replace the rubber cap every time I adjust the antenna tip.

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Garage

This is usually a sign of high resistance somewhere, like a poor ground or poor soldering (if your connector required to be soldered to the coax). Is your coax cable bent anywhere? Could be a crack inside the cable, or just a crappy section of coax, or like you said, the antenna could be old and toast.
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I would say try another antenna, new cable ( you already have that ) get a ground cable and try to ground the connection to the body directly, check your cable and connection to the CB ( small cable that goes to SWR meter to CB ) .

I had that once and it was the antenna , i had gotten a fancy "High powered " hand made antenna, and the wiring was bad inside. Couldn't get SWR below 2.5-3, put my old Firestick, and i got 0.5-1...

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Forum Veteran

Thanks all. I'm not the world's best solderer (is that a word?) but it wasn't too difficult soldering on the connector. I did check the entire setup for continuity as described in the coax instructions and everything was up to snuff. I may try a new antenna - Firestik instead of Wilson.

post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage

Was your replacement coax cable of significantly different length than the original? If so, what did you do with the extra length? Coil it up? Bunch it up?

Having a new antenna available will help narrow things down.
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
What type/brand of coax did you use originally? I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts it’s the FIRERING coax!

Just a hunch!

In Memoriam: NYPD DAOS/NYS OIG #77 - and all of our fallen LEO's!

Pancreatic Cancer - want to learn ALL about the tests to detect it? Well, so would I...so would I!

Freedom isn't free...thank you Veterans!
9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!
R.I.P. SEATTLE MIKE - JOE S. - VINNY D. - ROBOTUSSIN! - Thank you St. Anthony!

God Bless America!
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

@Teikas Dad did you solve your problem ? What was the solution if you did.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > CB / HAM / Communications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in