post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Ham help, please :)

Hi guys,

I'm a hang glider pilot who uses Ham to communicate with other pilots in the air, and also on the ground coordinating where pilots are going to land for me to pick them up, etc.

I do have my Ham license.

I want to put a unit in my FJ, I haven't decided which one yet, but my needs are pretty basic. I'm only on whatever band frequencies like 146.415. I'd like something powerful, but I don't need a million features. Maybe something along the lines of: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio ?

Anyway, electronics like this are not my strong point at all.

1. what's the consensus on the best place to mount an antenna? Is the bandi mount something that I need or is that for CB only?

2. does anyone sell a kit with everything I need other than the radio? I just have seen so many posts with all this confusing stuff about different connectors and so on, and I just don't have time to learn everything there is to know, I'm going to use this Ham radio very infrequently so I don't need to know everything about it.

This setup looks nice: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...tallation.html

Daystar leveling kit, dual batteries, Ellis Precision shifter and e-brake handles, steelies, rear air bags for towing, ATF temp monitor, electric brake controller, etc! Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the great info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Forum Master

Re: Need Ham help, please :)

The link you have has a Bandi mount as an antennae mounting point so that answers one question for you. The rest I'd like to know as well.

2013 Iceberg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
chetwynd previously said: View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a hang glider pilot who uses Ham to communicate with other pilots in the air, and also on the ground coordinating where pilots are going to land for me to pick them up, etc.

I do have my Ham license.

I want to put a unit in my FJ, I haven't decided which one yet, but my needs are pretty basic. I'm only on whatever band frequencies like 146.415. I'd like something powerful, but I don't need a million features. Maybe something along the lines of: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio ?
Many of my friends have FT 2900Rs in their rigs. It's a very study radio... and with lots of power. Being a 2m transceiver, it covers 146.415 mhz.

Quote:
Anyway, electronics like this are not my strong point at all.

1. what's the consensus on the best place to mount an antenna? Is the bandi mount something that I need or is that for CB only?
From purely an RF perspective, the center of your roof is the best location. But there are other considerations such as garage clearance and roof racks. I got my 2m antenna on my front bumper.. which is arguably the worse place from an RF perspective. Other options include a Boztec ham mount off the rear door hinge (same location as the Bandi), on the front fenders, on the lip of the roof, off the roof rack, etc..

Quote:
2. does anyone sell a kit with everything I need other than the radio? I just have seen so many posts with all this confusing stuff about different connectors and so on, and I just don't have time to learn everything there is to know, I'm going to use this Ham radio very infrequently so I don't need to know everything about it.
Probably... I do know that Boztec makes a specific recommendation for use with their mount. HAM Radio Antenna Mount | BozTec

Quote:
You could do the same with a Boztec ham mount, at least antenna wise. (The 2900 face plate is not detachable). I recommend the Boztec ham mount over the Bandi CB mount for two reasons... one, its designed for Ham antennas, and two, it's made of stainless steel. (I use a Boztec for my CB...but considering dumping it now as I rarely use CB anymore.)

2010 FJ TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CVkurt previously said: View Post
Many of my friends have FT 2900Rs in their rigs. It's a very study radio... and with lots of power. Being a 2m transceiver, it covers 146.415 mhz.

From purely an RF perspective, the center of your roof is the best location. But there are other considerations such as garage clearance and roof racks. I got my 2m antenna on my front bumper.. which is arguably the worse place from an RF perspective. Other options include a Boztec ham mount off the rear door hinge (same location as the Bandi), on the front fenders, on the lip of the roof, off the roof rack, etc..

Probably... I do know that Boztec makes a specific recommendation for use with their mount. HAM Radio Antenna Mount | BozTec

You could do the same with a Boztec ham mount, at least antenna wise. (The 2900 face plate is not detachable). I recommend the Boztec ham mount over the Bandi CB mount for two reasons... one, its designed for Ham antennas, and two, it's made of stainless steel. (I use a Boztec for my CB...but considering dumping it now as I rarely use CB anymore.)

Hey thanks a lot man, really appreciate you responding so quickly. Very helpful, thank you!

Daystar leveling kit, dual batteries, Ellis Precision shifter and e-brake handles, steelies, rear air bags for towing, ATF temp monitor, electric brake controller, etc! Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the great info!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I use a magnetic mount on the roof with a FT-2900R with great range when it in the center of my roof. It also lets me move it around if I put a large load up there, and it just tips over if I really hit it on something.

You can always drill a hole in your roof later, but if you can operate without the hole in your roof so much the better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some where on this site I posted photos of my install. I have a Yaesu FT8900 using a Comet UHV4 on the Bandi door hinge mount. The radio body is mounted in the rear cargo area with the face placed just above the rearview mirror and the mic in the console.

The antenna will work better is you do have it mid roof. You can drill a hole and put an NMO mount up there. If you have a roof rack that will protect the antenna. Otherwise a tree limb could sweep the roof and it, the antenna, could be gone. A mag-mount is another possibility. I have several that I use for HTs, one being my VX8G for APRS and the other my V82 for D-Star. Put them about 19 inches apart and you can add a little directionality.

Do a little search for radios that you may like. I would recommend at least a dual band, whether it's a HT or a mobile. If you hold a general class license you might think about having a radio with HF capabilities....

No matter what you do you will likely have someone tell you that you could do it better one way or another or it won''t work, too much loss, etc.. Try what you want to.. HAM should never quit being a learning experience...

Have fun and good luck!!!

Bill - W7PVA
Prescott Valley AZ
DM34tp

Bill - CruisingAZ
W7PVA
2007 Sun Fusion Plain Jane
No lift - No winch - No Roof Rack
Yaesu FT-857D - Comet SBB-15 and ATAS 120A Antennas - Bandi and Comet Mounts
7.225 MHZ - 147.220 PL 162.2 - APRS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have to agree that a boztech mount is one of the best, people have complained about rust on their bandi mounts after a couple years.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Here's a link to my install of a Yaesu FT-8800R in my FJ.

Probably more radio than you need for your application but maybe some install ideas.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2519588

- K5WRE -
(Robert)

While in the Never-ending pursuit of my Dream FJ the following Venders and Manufactures have supplied a helping hand.

Venders:
TRDparts4U, Toyota of Dallas, Pure FJ Cruiser, Elliotís Hardware, West Marine, 4WheelParts, HRO

Manufactures:
ScanGauge, Rigid Industries, Old Man Emu, ARB, Warn, Icon Vehicle Dynamics , Demello Offroad, AMI, Blue Sea, WeatherTech, Oznium, Raw Mind Engineering, Rocktek, Cobra, Firestik, Bandi, Ironman, BudBuilt, Ellis Precision, Rotopax, Hi-Lift, Ricochet Offroad, Yaesu, Diamond, Springtail
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

The mounts on the door hinge work OK. I drilled out a bandi to take a UHF barrel connector, then used a maldol SR2◊4 on it. There is some mag mounts out there too. Firestik makes a 2m antenna with a 3/8-24 mount. Diamond antenna makes mounts and some good antennas. Their CR320 is one of the better ones. Their mounts are lip mounts so you can put them wherever. I'm moving my high freq antenna to the right side with a diamond mount. There is a lot out there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Army Green
3" extended travel Icon coilovers with King springs, Icon expedition rear springs, Icon shocks
Total Chaos arms front and back
305/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's on Hutchinson beadlocks
TRD air box, Safari snorkel, Flowmaster cat back, URD off road pipe
Rigid Industries light bar and duallys, Piaa ion fogs and white driving,
Whelen ion strobes, Ricochet skids, Springtail M-pac,
and lots and lots of radio gear
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

my dual band antenna.. easy to drill into roof..

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > CB / HAM / Communications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in