post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Is an External power supply necessary ?

I am in the market for a Ham Radio for my FJ. Was considering the Yaesu FT-7900R. Is it essential to purchase a separate Switching Power Supply for it, or can I just power it off my S-Pod ?
Gigaparts.com was recommending an external separate Samlex 23A Switching power supply.

What say you Ham experts?

TLCA#21671 '07 Sun Fusion FJ/5AT/FrontRunner Roof Rack&Hi-Lift Jack Mount/ AP Tow Pkg/APx Front Bumper w Lg Prerun Light Bar/ComeUP Winch/Richocet Skid Plates/AP Rock Sliders/AP Rear Bumper/ Hi Clear Exhaust/3" Lift w/ OME Heavy Springs /OME Shocks/Total Chaos UCA's/ToyTec Lower Kits/URD MAF Sensor Cali/DP 2nd Battery/Top DogV Dual Oil Filter/PreFilter/JBA Long Headers/TRD Exhaust/Dual Horns/Rigid D2 LED's/General Grabbers 285x75x16's/OEM DLX Alum Wheels/OB Side Rack/Power Tank/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/S-pod/Kenwood DDX470/Sub/iPad2/InReach/Ultra-Gauge/FR 2M Awning /EdgeStar 43qt Fridge/Dennx Rear Storage Box/FR RTT/Rear IR Cam/BlackVue/Carbon Fibre Hood w/30" LED Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Is an External power supply necessary ?

No you don't

You really don't even need to go through the s-pod. Unless you have open circuits in it, that you will never need . You only need to power this to a fuse panel. Through the s-pod will actually give you a triggered relay for your ham, but that is overkill .

"The Rock"
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)

Preferred wiring is a dedicated circuit, positive and negative conductors with fuses, straight to the battery terminals.

This is to reduce noise generated by other electronics. It also provides redundancy in case of an emergency where your wiring harness may be compromised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I suppose I could follow this up with having a second fuse panel, just for these types of accessories. I prefer not using the factory electrical system for any accessories I put in.

There are 2 extra fuse panels in my truck. One under the passenger kick panel and one in the rear cargo area (where the jack is) That way i have versatility on adding stuff

"The Rock"

Wikid link
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Yes I have a extra fuse box in my passenger side kick panel that has 2 openings as well as the Spod.

TLCA#21671 '07 Sun Fusion FJ/5AT/FrontRunner Roof Rack&Hi-Lift Jack Mount/ AP Tow Pkg/APx Front Bumper w Lg Prerun Light Bar/ComeUP Winch/Richocet Skid Plates/AP Rock Sliders/AP Rear Bumper/ Hi Clear Exhaust/3" Lift w/ OME Heavy Springs /OME Shocks/Total Chaos UCA's/ToyTec Lower Kits/URD MAF Sensor Cali/DP 2nd Battery/Top DogV Dual Oil Filter/PreFilter/JBA Long Headers/TRD Exhaust/Dual Horns/Rigid D2 LED's/General Grabbers 285x75x16's/OEM DLX Alum Wheels/OB Side Rack/Power Tank/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/S-pod/Kenwood DDX470/Sub/iPad2/InReach/Ultra-Gauge/FR 2M Awning /EdgeStar 43qt Fridge/Dennx Rear Storage Box/FR RTT/Rear IR Cam/BlackVue/Carbon Fibre Hood w/30" LED Bar
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Good deal, You are all set.
Its a short run over there, from wherever you decide to mount it anyway

"The Rock"

Wikid link
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
BoiseFJ previously said: View Post
I am in the market for a Ham Radio for my FJ. Was considering the Yaesu FT-7900R. Is it essential to purchase a separate Switching Power Supply for it, or can I just power it off my S-Pod ?
Gigaparts.com was recommending an external separate Samlex 23A Switching power supply.

What say you Ham experts?
Perhaps they were talking about use in the home, not the vehicle? Why you would want to use a power supply in a vehicle for a mobile radio escapes..

The recommended method for powering your radio is to connect it directly to the battery. You will need fused connections or use circuit breakers.

I use a relay inline to the battery to shut off the power when my key is off. It is set up to power the relay when the ACC position is selected. I have a 40A circuit breaker near the relay and also both lines to the radio fused with 25A fuses.

When I do remove the radio for use in the shack I have a 30A switching power supply that will power the radio and any accessories I may want.

Good Luck!

Bill - CruisingAZ
W7PVA
2007 Sun Fusion Plain Jane
No lift - No winch - No Roof Rack
Yaesu FT-857D - Comet SBB-15 and ATAS 120A Antennas - Bandi and Comet Mounts
7.225 MHZ - 147.220 PL 162.2 - APRS

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > CB / HAM / Communications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in