LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Great little Dual band- Best Engrish yet!

This is awesome...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097252UK/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_6822_0974f97b?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0W94JS47JM17589WMZXJ&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1690286822#productDetails
From the product description...

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-479.995 MHz
Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable.
With full high two colors LED definition display, the screen exquisite clarity.
The new English, German, French instruction, more convenient and more humanized.
The New 2013 packing, more beautiful and quite well-done.

Awesome LOL

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Great little Dual band- Best Engrish yet!

i bought 3.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Garage

G'day OC,
Linky broken ... it no worky
but beautiful packed I'm sure

cheers
Baz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to dseven Send a message via Skype™ to dseven

This the linky Amazon.com: BaoFeng UV-5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio (Black): Car Electronics. It is quite well done
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

It's got great reviews on eham.net

BaoFeng UV-5R+ Product Reviews

The Build: The G.A.T.O.R.
TLCA # 21402
KF5OAB
Founding Member of the
LOUISIANA LAND KREWESERS
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

In all seriousness though, can someone that knows radio stuff tell me what all that stuff means? I barely know the difference between a CB and a walkie talkie.

And by talkie talkie I mean
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'll try to make this as short as possible

There are radio waves that make up a wide spectrum of frequencies, from very large (100s of meters wide) to very small (microwaves). The FCC and international consensus decided to divide the bandwidth into sections, allocating different bands for different uses, such as television, am/fm radio, and different kinds communications. This is loosely based on the properties of the band and its optimum use. Gi Joe walkie talkies fall under one of the regulated bands, but radios are legally limited by frequency and power. CB or civil band radio is limited to 5 watts, however some people amplify their signal beyond the 5 watts and creates interference with other radios. This creates a lot of static on the channels. HAM or Amateur Radio is self policing and requires a license to operate on those allocated frequencies. This keeps interference down. Also, HAM equipment is generally only limited power wise, to the minimum it takes to complete the communication. This can be over 1000 watts.

Any one else, please chime in to clarify or correct me!

The Build: The G.A.T.O.R.
TLCA # 21402
KF5OAB
Founding Member of the
LOUISIANA LAND KREWESERS

Last edited by dockbox; 12-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

So I guess the majority of my ignorance lies in the bands. At some time or another it seems that one may want to use all of them. This radio in particular seems to be able to do many but not all. Why isn't there (or is there) a device that will work on all of them? Why do I have to buy a FRS radio, a CB, a HAM, etc. etc. ? It seems (an maybe because of how i think id use it) like I'd want a CB but if no one else has or is in range with a CB then I'd like to try something else. But if I didn't already have it at that point I'd be screwed.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
So I guess the majority of my ignorance lies in the bands. At some time or another it seems that one may want to use all of them. This radio in particular seems to be able to do many but not all. Why isn't there (or is there) a device that will work on all of them? Why do I have to buy a FRS radio, a CB, a HAM, etc. etc. ? It seems (an maybe because of how i think id use it) like I'd want a CB but if no one else has or is in range with a CB then I'd like to try something else. But if I didn't already have it at that point I'd be screwed.
You don't *need* to buy a radio. But you'll have a lot more fun if you can listen and talk on the same sort of radio / bands your friends use. Around here, most of the off-roading clubs use HAM radios on the 2m band. You can get cheap 2m radios cheaply (see OP).

Occasionally someone will show up to a local run wanting to use a CB... but finding others willing and able to use CBs here is decreasing rapidly. I'm one of the few left with both CB and 2m in my rigs... but I'm likely to ditch the CB at any time. Even with an expensive CB radio, CB sucks in sound quality and range in comparison to 2m.

Haven't seen FRS used on a club run in ages.

In short, get your HAM ticket (it's an easy test) and an inexpensive 2m radio (the above radio is a good starter radio).

Oh, and you won't find one device that does them all... for legal and technical reasons.

2010 FJ TT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to dseven Send a message via Skype™ to dseven

To be legally sold in the US, radios need FCC "Equipment Authorization" (in the olden days, it was "Type Acceptance"). There are different restrictions for each radio service - for example, FRS radios cannot have detachable antennas - so generally a radio will have EA for one particular radio service. Most 2m/440 rigs are capable of transmitting outside the ham bands, but must be restricted to not do so "out of the box" to get that EA. Modification to remove the restriction is often easy - just removal of a (tiny surface mount) diode or resistor. Transmitting on a non ham-band is probably still illegal, since the radio is not Equipment Authorised for the other bands....

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > CB / HAM / Communications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in