Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

HAM: Portable vs. Stationary & Why?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  brobert225 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, ok, forgive me, I'm sure this info is out there on the forum but to be honest, I'm so new to amateur radio that I don't even know what to look for at the moment. I'll start with what I need a HAM for and you can tell me your opinions on what I should look for.

1. I need a HAM for a tech level operator to use in vehicle during trips to remote/semi remote areas.(Moab, Rubicon, etc. not Africa or the Amazon).
  2. I prefer hand held vs. a hard mount but the whole point in going HAM is to get long range communication so I want to get the right tool for the job. Space is just at a premium so the smaller the better.
  3. What radios do you recommend withing a reasonable price range and while we are on the subject, what is a reasonable price range?

If you need, go ahead and roast me in flame but for those who don't mind answering noob questions and have a good knowledge base please feel free to enlighten me so I can buy once and cry once.

Dumb it down for me as much as possible also.....

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
So much depends on what you are going to use it for. Myself, I am not a ham hobbyist, it is a tool I use on the trail for vehicle to vehicle comms. So I am content with a (relatively) simple, compact, military-spec ruggedized (no fan to draw dust into the unit) 2-meter unit like the Yaesu 1900.

But if you want to start dropping in features like APRS, dual band, yadda yadda yadda, all bets are off.

Reactions: Grouper
#3 ·
Getting started with equipment can be a lot easier than you think.

Pick up a pair of UV5R for less than $30 each on amazon. These handhelds are by far the greatest value in radios and can be programed to operate in multiple bands: 2m, 440, FRS, GMRS, MURS, weather... They are available in 4 watts and 8 watts for a little more, go 8 watts in at least one.

By having a pair you can test your settings by yourself which is better then keying into silence wondering if your signal is getting out. You can learn working repeaters, simplex and more without wiring up your FJ.

If you outgrow the UV5R you will know what features you are looking for in a mobile unit, and the handhelds will still be useful as loaners, talkies, testers... You may not feel the need to go further for truck to truck coms.

I use both UV5R and a quad band wired in truck. For truck to truck I prefer the UV5R, batteries last forever, accessories are cheap, easy operation, no chord hanging I can hop in and out for spotting and stay in communication.

Bonus, little built in led flashlight that has proved more useful than I could ever have imagined.

#4 ·
^Good advice on the cheap Baofengs to start. Problem is ... you get what you pay for. The 2 I bought a couple of years ago, one still sorta works and the other died. Also, the power output on the little HHs is limited and the antenna set up limits range as well. Range is maybe 1 mile ... but that's 1 mile farther than a cb.

Bottom line, they are good to start with, sort stuff out. Then, you may want to transition to a small, cheap mobile unit. I have one that cost less than $100, just run the antenna out the window on a mag mount when offroading. Simplex range is at least 8 miles, thats as far as I have been able to test it so far. I think it is 45 watts vs a 5 watt HH, and the antenna setup- out of the rig, up high etc really helps.

HTH

#5 ·
@Grouper,

I have a handheld unit and a mobile unit I installed in my rig. My handheld is usually attached to my backpack as I frequently go hiking and carry it in case there is an emergency on the trail. Before I eventually purchased my mobile radio for my rig, I used the handheld exclusively on the trail and in my vehicle.

One of the features I like is APRS which allows your geo position to be reported to others which I see as an enhanced safety feature. However, radios with APRS and a built-in GPS cost more so that is a value decision you can make now or later.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. :D

#8 ·
Ya gotta have an external antenna for a handheld...transmitting from inside a metal box just doesn't work. I've been in a group with a guy doing that, he had a range of maybe 100 yards. The Tram 1185 is a good inexpensive magnetic antenna (you will need an adapter for the BaoFeng).

I have the BaoFeng UV5R too - they are so cheap, why not? But as above their durability is iffy, I am on my second one because my first one crapped out.

#12 ·
In favorable conditions a handheld with an external antenna can get surprisingly far. But in the end the 55 watts of my Yaesu 1900 are going to beat the 5 watts of the handheld every time. I have chatted comfortably with another member of our group 15 miles away on fairly flat terrain, could likely have gone farther yet.

Reactions: FAUJI
#14 ·
I started out with a Yaesu FT-60R handheld or HT in Hamspeak. I mounted an external antenna for mobile use. It worked well but not perfect for the vehicle. I ended up mounting a quad band in the FJ. It is much easier to operate while driving. With controls on the mic it is easier to operate on the road. Also it is capable of 50 watts output vs 5 of an HT. But 5 watts was enough to hit a repeater.

I would recommend that you get the programming software and cable for whatever you buy. Trying to go thru a series of buttons and dials to program in every freq you want to store. Instead type it into the computer, connect the cable and a few keystrokes and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.