LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HOW TO: Host, Post and Re-Size Photos

Here is a little “mini-guide” to photo hosting and posting. There are three ways to place photos into the forum: 1) insert into a post as a thumbnail (“attachment”), 2) upload into the Forum’s Photo Gallery, and 3) insert into a post as a full-size photo (“insert image”). If you are just looking for information on re-sizing your photos, look here: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...al-photos.html

1) The easiest way to add pictures to your posts is to “attach” them and have them show up as thumbnails at the bottom of your post. To add pictures this way, you do NOT need to first host the pictures on the internet – you will upload them directly from your hard drive. For specific instructions on how to do this, look here:

HOW TO: Put Thumbnail Pics in Your Posts

NOTE: If you attach your photos as thumbnails or use a thirdy-party hosting service, you may still want to upload your photos to the Forum’s gallery so that the pictures may be accessed via your username. You can even add additional information to the photo, such as the make/model/size of your tires, so that someone browsing the gallery can quickly get additional information that they may be looking for.

2) Inserting photos in the photo gallery provides you and others with a way to access photos by your username (left-clicking on a username brings up a menu with the option to “View <Usernames’s> Photo Gallery"). Photos placed into the Photo Gallery may also be linked to your posts without requiring the use of a 3rd party photo-hosting service. See the following link for more information on uploading images to the Photo Gallery and using those images in your posts:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...st-images.html

NOTE: One of the advantages of attaching pictures as a thumbnail or using the Forum’s Photo Gallery to host your pictures is that links to your pictures should be preserved as long as the Forum is around! (If you use a third-party hosting service, the links will be broken if you stop subscribing, the service goes under, etc.)

3) If you want to insert your photo as a full-size image within your post (good for telling a story, giving instructions, etc.), see steps 3-5 of the following link (this procedure is applicable for both pictures hosted on the forum and elsewhere).

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...st-images.html

In case these links do not answer your questions, or you want more information on thirdy-party hosting, here are a few other threads on photo hosting:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...hallenged.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-tutorial.html

Black Diamond 4x4 AT - 265/75/16 Nitto TGs on TRD Rims, Demello Sliders, Bilstein 5100s (front)/"All-Terrain Package" Bilsteins (rear)

Last edited by couver; 01-07-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Re: HOW TO: Host and Post Photos

I am going to see if I can get this thread made into a sticky and use it to refer to other photo threads. If anyone knows of any better resources for hosting/posting, go ahead and reply and I will try to compile the best references. Thanks!

Black Diamond 4x4 AT - 265/75/16 Nitto TGs on TRD Rims, Demello Sliders, Bilstein 5100s (front)/"All-Terrain Package" Bilsteins (rear)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re:Host and Post Photos: I AM STUMPED!!!

Quote:
couver previously said: View Post
I am going to see if I can get this thread made into a sticky and use it to refer to other photo threads. If anyone knows of any better resources for hosting/posting, go ahead and reply and I will try to compile the best references. Thanks!
I must say that I'm totally stumped here. Once I click on the 'Photo Gallery' Link, I cannot find the 'Upload Photos' button. Where is it ???

Last edited by Old FJ40'er; 01-03-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Old FJ40'er - I PM'ed you, but here is a picture of the screen that shows where to click...

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Forum Veteran

Does anybody know if there is a way to get around the 1 meg limit for pictures in the photo gallery? Most hi-res cameras today create such large picture files, and I am just not that savvy when it comes to those things, that I can't upload my pictures.

FJ Cruiser 4703, UP1 CQ & GY, 2Q, Gobi Stealth, PIAA lights, Donahoe front and rear lift, AR Victor Teflon Wheels, 285/70R17 Hankook MT's, Demello sliders, Exp-One bumper, Superwinch 9000 w/ synthetic

WISH LIST - Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Battery

Pub for wife's store - http://www.vino100-reno.com/
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

One of the above links addresses this. You do not want to "work around" the limit, you want to get those photos smaller - for a variety of reasons. The thread I started for this is referenced above, but here it is again:

HOW TO: Re-Size Your Digital Photos

The thread was originally a Windows XP only solution, but I am hoping that it may also serve as a general thread on the topic of re-sizing photos (I changed the title of the first post, but apparently the thread title doesn't also change). If anyone has any better suggestions for other operating systems, please add your comments to that thread (not this one). Thanks!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Perfect! I now have pictures in my gallery! THANKS!!!

FJ Cruiser 4703, UP1 CQ & GY, 2Q, Gobi Stealth, PIAA lights, Donahoe front and rear lift, AR Victor Teflon Wheels, 285/70R17 Hankook MT's, Demello sliders, Exp-One bumper, Superwinch 9000 w/ synthetic

WISH LIST - Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Battery

Pub for wife's store - http://www.vino100-reno.com/
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Angry Re: HOW TO: Host and Post Photos

Quote:
couver previously said: View Post
Old FJ40'er - I PM'ed you, but here is a picture of the screen that shows where to click...

Still do not understand why the 'Upload Photos' button does not appear on my window. I've tried on a PC next to my Mac and none of either screens show that upload button. I've sized the windows as large as possible, I've switched Display Modes on the Forum but it still does not show up. I'm baffled
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)

OK,, that's it I'm gonna learn how to do this eventually. Thanks for your concise tutorial...........it'll happen...

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton

βŁύẾֱֳֳֶָָmŢ6ֳֶֻ׃
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

FJ40'er - I have to say that I am baffled as to why you do not have the same menu showing. The only thing I can see is that when you are not logged in, the menus are different, but since you are showing as "online", you are obviously logged in. Maybe you should PM Bostonian1976 and see if he might know. Can't imagine vendor accounts are different than us regular guys, but maybe?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Community Help Section > Community Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in