1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HOWTO: Use the Search Function

There have been alot of complaints recently about the search function on this site and it "lacking"... I disagree. We have made one change which allows the site to index 3 letter words (and greater) -- the previous limit was 4. The lower the number, the more resource intensive it is on the server.

We also support boolean searches, which sare also resource intensive -- all search queries use boolean by default now.

If you want to learn to search like a pro, the following "key" will help you.

Code:
 The boolean full-text search capability supports the following operators:

+

A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in each row that is returned.

-

A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be present in any of the rows that are returned.

Note: The - operator acts only to exclude rows that are otherwise matched by other search terms. Thus, a boolean-mode search that contains only terms preceded by - returns an empty result. It does not return “all rows except those containing any of the excluded terms.”

(no operator)

By default (when neither + nor - is specified) the word is optional, but the rows that contain it are rated higher. This mimics the behavior of MATCH() ... AGAINST() without the IN BOOLEAN MODE modifier.

> <

These two operators are used to change a word's contribution to the relevance value that is assigned to a row. The > operator increases the contribution and the < operator decreases it. See the example following this list.

( )

Parentheses group words into subexpressions. Parenthesized groups can be nested.

~

A leading tilde acts as a negation operator, causing the word's contribution to the row's relevance to be negative. This is useful for marking “noise” words. A row containing such a word is rated lower than others, but is not excluded altogether, as it would be with the - operator.

The asterisk serves as the truncation (or wildcard) operator. Unlike the other operators, it should be appended to the word to be affected. Words match if they begin with the word preceding the * operator.

"

A phrase that is enclosed within double quote (‘"’) characters matches only rows that contain the phrase literally, as it was typed. The full-text engine splits the phrase into words, performs a search in the FULLTEXT index for the words. The engine then performs a substring search for the phrase in the records that are found, so the match must include non-word characters in the phrase. For example, "test phrase" does not match "test, phrase".

If the phrase contains no words that are in the index, the result is empty. For example, if all words are either stopwords or shorter than the minimum length of indexed words, the result is empty.

The following examples demonstrate some search strings that use boolean full-text operators:

'apple banana'

Find rows that contain at least one of the two words.

'+apple +juice'

Find rows that contain both words.

'+apple macintosh'

Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but rank rows higher if they also contain “macintosh”.

'+apple -macintosh'

Find rows that contain the word “apple” but not “macintosh”.

'+apple ~macintosh'

Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but if the row also contains the word “macintosh”, rate it lower than if row does not. This is “softer” than a search for '+apple -macintosh', for which the presence of “macintosh” causes the row not to be returned at all.

'+apple +(>turnover <strudel)'

Find rows that contain the words “apple” and “turnover”, or “apple” and “strudel” (in any order), but rank “apple turnover” higher than “apple strudel”.

'apple*'

Find rows that contain words such as “apple”, “apples”, “applesauce”, or “applet”.

'"some words"'

Find rows that contain the exact phrase “some words” (for example, rows that contain “some words of wisdom” but not “some noise words”). Note that the ‘"’ characters that enclose the phrase are operator characters that delimit the phrase. They are not the quotes that enclose the search string itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: HOWTO: Use the Search Function

The quick search should probably be able to search the CMPS pages.
My typed text is hiding behind the banner ad. Sometimes it hides, sometimes not.

Last edited by MoSun; 08-17-2006 at 03:59 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MoSun previously said:
The quick search should probably be "literal" and not an advanced option.
Some people are just impossible to please, I guess. You whine about the 'elementary' fashion of the search engine, but then say you want it "dumbed down".
Quote:
My typed text is hiding behind the banner ad. Sometimes it hides, sometimes not.
Flash banner ads will do this. Standard gif/jpg ads wont. You can make your window wider if possible so the banners dont obscure the search. That is the only solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sweet i hated the 3 letter restiction, how much more intensive is it on resources? im in school for network security and have taken a microcrap sever class but didnt really get into web hosting it was mostly roaming profiles and dns serves.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
san antonio fj previously said:
sweet i hated the 3 letter restiction, how much more intensive is it on resources? im in school for network security and have taken a microcrap sever class but didnt really get into web hosting it was mostly roaming profiles and dns serves.
I havent noticed much of a load yet from the difference.. but this site is relatively small. On one site I run, with over 47,000 subscribers and over 1000 online at any given time, I'm pretty sure it would make quite an impact.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Jo2
Forum Master

do signatures have an effect on searching? I.e. someone who mentions a trd exhaust or trd intake in their signature, will this set off a trigger in a search bringing up false results?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 AM

LOL, it's always worked fine for me. No matter how many tutorials you post 1/4 of the people still won't use it. It's the old, egotistical, thinking that "my question is so important that I have to have it answered now and it warrants a new thread."
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Forum Superstar

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Maybe time to update this thread, as I can't seem to use the search function at all since the change. Speaking of which, why screw with a good thing? The site's not as easy (for me) to surf thru/use anymore.

Never fart in a wet-suit

2007 AT Voodoo Blue
Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
305/50R20
PIAA LP 570 LED's
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)

Quote:
peter2772000 previously said: View Post
Maybe time to update this thread, as I can't seem to use the search function at all since the change. Speaking of which, why screw with a good thing? The site's not as easy (for me) to surf thru/use anymore.

I have found that starting from google is far better than any other option. I just type a few keywords and fj cruiser forum and get far more relevant results.

My search works in Autoguide but I only use it for finding specific members' posts.

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Community Help Section > Community Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in