dealership wants more money 10 days after sale??? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: dealership wants more money 10 days after sale???

Quote:
johndeeremale previously said: View Post
thanks for the quick responses! the dealership called for payoff that night, but they are telling me that payoff wasnt correct because it costs the dealership more money to payoff the car than it would have for me. It sounds to me like the dealership should have done their homework before agreeing to take my trade in. I feel for them but have no more money to put down on the car. maybe they can take some money out of the platinum warranty i overpaid for.. =) Im hoping this gets resolved quickly as prolonging my contact with the dealership financial manager isnt exactly my idea of fun !! thanks again!
RCL's (Fords red carpet lease) are done at the dealership, and the dealership holds the paper.. If the Dealership (Ford store) wants to charge the dealer more to buy out the vehicle, they can.. It is a way to discourage the customer from going to another manafacture to buy their next vehicle..

This has been their way for as long as I have been in the car business, Not too many Ford stores do it, but they have the choice to do so..

No it is not your fault, and really you shouldn't have to pay it, but your payoff form you signed, did state you would pay the difference and it is legal in court. They, the dealership where you bought the FJ, can take back the FJ, or take you to court.

No it isn't right, it is not your fault, it is the Ford dealerships, being a CROOK..

You are going to have to talk to the Ford store where they got the payoff from, where you leased the Ford from, and take care of this, they will, with enough pressure, make it right and make the payoff the as it should be..

This is the sucky part of FORD, they do this so the dealer can make more $$$, and most people who they did the RCL for couldn't have ever bought a new car, for credit reasons, any other way. So Ford would set the lease up and make the dealer hold the paper, they make the interest (Ford) and the dealer sets the payoff... If you come back to the dealership, and planned by them, you have an incentive and they lower your payoff, if you go somwhere else, the raise it in order not to lose the sale..

Read your RCL contract, it will explaine it all, and they have the legal right to do this, you signed for it when you did the Ford lease..

Hope this helps and you get it taken care of quickly..

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I agree with all thats been said here so far. Unless you signed something that stipulates that YOU are responsible for a difference in payoff amount, it's their problem. And even then, as was said, contact Ford finance yourself to verify and find out why the amount is higher for the dealer to pay it off.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

You signed the pay off statement. it is the responsbility of the bank to insure that it is the correct payoff statment. I would say that you are not responsible for coming up with the extra money. Just my opinion.

2007 Black FJ Cruiser
2005 Acura TL
2004 Red Porsche Boxster S

"Never complain, never explain" -Henry Ford II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Considering 007FJ is a Toyota salesman I think he might know what he's talking about.... Just a thought.

Wayne
KD7NAC
Snohomish County SAR
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Forum Detective

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Quote:
007FJ previously said: View Post
RCL's (Fords red carpet lease) are done at the dealership, and the dealership holds the paper.. If the Dealership (Ford store) wants to charge the dealer more to buy out the vehicle, they can.. It is a way to discourage the customer from going to another manafacture to buy their next vehicle.
Wow, this is crazy. Do they change the residual value of the car or are they tacking some sort of early termination penalty on it? If he were to keep the car the whole lease would this have still been a problem? It would seem to me that at the very worse he would have to pay the remaining payments on the lease and then be free (not sure how many remain or how much they are).
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Forum Veteran

Sounds like Joe Blow salesman made a mistake and doesn't want to take the heat from his boss. If you signed paperwork and received the car, the deal should be done. He won't make that mistake again.

EDIT: 007 sounds right. He should know

-JD

07 Black Cherry FJ 5A/T
4x4 shocks and springs, 265/70/17 BFG AT, VSC Cancel switch, ProComp lights, Bajarack

Last edited by jdescant; 01-19-2010 at 11:35 AM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
mountain mike previously said: View Post
Wow, this is crazy. Do they change the residual value of the car or are they tacking some sort of early termination penalty on it? If he were to keep the car the whole lease would this have still been a problem? It would seem to me that at the very worse he would have to pay the remaining payments on the lease and then be free (not sure how many remain or how much they are).
The Ford dealers have the ability to change the residual of the lease, depending on the way the customer handles the lease end.. If they go back to the Selling Ford dealership, then it is 1 price, if they go to another Ford dealership, then it is another, a little higher, and if they go to another manafacture's dealership, it is even higher again..

This is a trick of RCL's to keep Ford customers buying Fords, better yet Leasing Fords.. When I worked in the Finance dept at one of the dealer's we ran into this all the time..

Just call the Ford dealership, and raise hell, they will reduce the payoff to what it really should be..

You did sign paper work to this effect at the Ford store when you signed the RCL...

& Good Luck

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just saw this on the 'Times, thought it was worth posting in this thread:

Dealer Sues Woman to Cancel ‘Good Deal’ - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Why not just read the paperwork you signed? It will tell you if you are liable or not.

Or, respond to the dealership and make them prove that you owe them money in writing. If its not written it didnt happen.

Or ignore them completely and make them come after you.

2007 6MT, Gold Coast Cruisers Edition -- Sold
1993 FZJ80 -
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This kinda happened with my last vehicle..... Kinda.... I informed the dealer that the deal was off and would go somewhere else.... He said " let me speak to my manager" I said okay, He said " uhhhhh to much trouble and cost for us to bring the vehicle back and get it ready to sell again. Just a thought you might try calling their bluff. Worst case you find another deal in a month or two.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in