dealership wants more money 10 days after sale??? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: dealership wants more money 10 days after sale???

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! Im holding off to hear from them again.. after i met with them last week they said they'd be "in touch". I dont want to screw anyone over, but $1500 is a lot of dough and personally would make me rethink the purchase if I was forced to come up with the extra cash for this vehicle. He asked me to "throw them a bone and give them at least 6 or 7 hundred"...it was all very shady and everything I hate about buying a car wrapped in one conversation. I find it hard to believe that the dealership is unaware of the pitfalls in buying Ford leases...Ford is their next door neighbor on the street after all =). Now im just worried after 007FJ's comments that they'll do something crazy like try to take back the car...good lord...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Tell the dealership you have contacted a lawyer on the matter and see how they react.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
007FJ previously said: View Post
RCL's (Fords red carpet lease) are done at the dealership, and the dealership holds the paper.. If the Dealership (Ford store) wants to charge the dealer more to buy out the vehicle, they can.. It is a way to discourage the customer from going to another manafacture to buy their next vehicle..
No it isn't right, it is not your fault, it is the Ford dealerships, being a CROOK..

You are going to have to talk to the Ford store where they got the payoff from, where you leased the Ford from, and take care of this, they will, with enough pressure, make it right and make the payoff the as it should be..

If you come back to the dealership, and planned by them, you have an incentive and they lower your payoff, if you go somwhere else, the raise it in order not to lose the sale..

Read your RCL contract, it will explaine it all, and they have the legal right to do this, you signed for it when you did the Ford lease..

Hope this helps and you get it taken care of quickly..

007FJ is totally correct. He and I have experienced this many times.

As he said it is a way of insuring you will come back to the Ford dealer again and again and buy your "half a car"

They may not take the car back, but you may have to pay your lease payment and your FJ payment too if this doesn't get handled soon, or risk a poor mark on your credit. At this point your lease payment on the previous vehicle is still coming due at it's regular time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

That sucks that you sign a contract and then they can go back on it. Really makes you wonder who is in the bigger hurry to "make the deal"...You or the dealer. If I sign on the dotted line and take delivery of a vehicle I don't expect a call in a few days saying "oops you owe us MORE money".... I know I would be super pissed off and not in a "deal making" mood.

I don't envy you being in that position...good luck

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Forum Veteran

When you trade in a car that has a payoff. You are signing a contract that you agree with whatever number that is on the contract to be your payoff. That is why it is a contract. It is the customers responsibility to know what the payoff is. The dealership will try to get it for you as a favor. They have all the numbers to the banks and stuff.
I dont think I would call it a tactic from a dealership. If they collect more money from you because there was a difference. That money does not go to the gross profit of the car deal. It goes to Ford so the dealer can get a title to the car they just bought.

Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work. Good luck and ofcourse .. Enjoy the FJ..

2010 Trail Teams
-Rough Country 6inch Lift-Icon Coil Overs-Safari Snorkel-Amsteel Blue Line-All-Pro front bumper-Warn M8000-BFG 35/12.5/16 KM2'S
-7 In Kragen HID's -Light Racing UCA's-Spydertrax -Baja Rack-Bandi Mount with a 3 inch Firestick-Cobra 75WX-6K HID'S-Hi-Lift

Moab/White Rim Trail/Ouray/WTF 09-10/Jambo 10-11/Engineer Pass/Bridgeport OHV

A good friend in need(The Keeper)
Trip C Build Thread

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

If he actually said "throw us a bone and give us 6 or 7 hundred" tell him you have a lawyer, he's ****ing with you.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When I traded in my Ford for my FJ, my dealership was able to get it right. That tells me it that it can be done and that your dealer dropped the ball. Either they don't have a clue and need an education, or they unscrupulously made the deal wrong so they could try to make the sale with a fake lower price. These are the only options.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Forum Master

Lifetime Supporting Member

quote=johndeeremale;1578268]Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! Im holding off to hear from them again.. They will be in touch, believe me. He asked me to "throw them a bone and give them at least 6 or 7 hundred"...Don't do this, they know what the deal is with the RCL's and their finance manager has come across this before.. He either forgot, and got the payoff from Ford Motor, and then they got it from the dealer... I find it hard to believe that the dealership is unaware of the pitfalls in buying Ford leases...Ford is their next door neighbor on the street after all =). Now im just worried after 007FJ's comments that they'll do something crazy like try to take back the car...good lord...[/quote] Don't worry they won't take the car back.. Just call the Ford dealer who you leased the vehicle from and straighten this out.. They will work with you..

Quote:
tripc previously said: View Post
Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work. Good luck and ofcourse .. Enjoy the FJ..
He is right, You don't need a lawyer and don't threaten them at all, this will only piss them off and they are in the drivers seat, you signed a contract which says if your payoff is higher then you will pay it. Keep the Toyota dealership in you hip and keep them as your friend through out this. It will serve you better in the long run..

Quote:
MrBigAxe previously said: View Post
When I traded in my Ford for my FJ, my dealership was able to get it right. That tells me it that it can be done and that your dealer dropped the ball. Either they don't have a clue and need an education, or they unscrupulously made the deal wrong so they could try to make the sale with a fake lower price. These are the only options.
This only pertains to RCL's not regular leases or purchase's.. RCL's are ment to get anyone into buying a Ford, and I mean any one.. No matter what the deal is.. That is why the Dealer holds the paper. This is the only way they could change the payoff on him after The Toyota dealership called Ford Motor...

Ford motor will give you the Customer's payoff, as if the customer went to the Ford dealer to buy a new vehicle. The dealer can then say it is more to make money on it, and in this enviroment where Ford is losing 3 out 5 vehicle it sells to Toyota or other Japanese brands, they are going to try everything to make more money..

Just talk with the Ford dealership and they will take care of this and make it right. You may have to talk a lot and to the GM of the dealership, but they will do it.. The Toyota dealership can't talk for you in this instance, they are the ememy and Ford hates them..
BTW, I am not saying the Toyota dealership is right, I don't think they did their jobs right at all.. It is a trap which all of us Finance managers have fallen into at least once in our career's and it is a hard lesson learned.. I think they just made a mistake, when they knew they should have called the dealership directly...

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
fka ghoover

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
tripc previously said: View Post
Everybody on here is so old scholl its not even funny. They will just tell you "Get a Lawyer" blah blah blah. The best thing for you to do. Call the dealer that is giving the payoff amount and talk to them. Try to wiggle them down to the number. Being rude and threatened dealers wont get you anywhere.Im sure the dealer you bought your FJ from wants to keep th car deal together. They get paid to sell cars not return them. Im sure with the right approach from you. THey will try to make it work.
While all of this seems really crooked, I still have to agree here. I have met some shady dealers in my time. I had one dealer years back who had the car I wanted, and when they found out that I was buying the car from another dealer (the two dealers had worked out some sort of trade for the car) they swapped the wheels on the car to the stock wheels and took the key fobs and would not give them up. Threatening to call a lawyer, or worse yet pretending you already have, will only make the situation worse.

Never threaten legal action. If your going to take legal action, call a lawyer and if they take your case then they will work on your behalf from then on out. You stay out of it. "Anything you say can and will be held against you" isn't just for crimnal matters.

Greg
08 FJ ti
My Build Up - In Progress
My Motorcycle Travel Site

My imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems.

Last edited by K12SRider; 01-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Tell them the deal is off and you want your Ford back. Bet they can't provide it.

If they can, pay the Ford off and then go to another dealer and start fresh. There are dealers all over S. Cal.

'14 4Runner 4WD

'08 Trail Teams 6MT - traded

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in