dealership wants more money 10 days after sale??? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy dealership wants more money 10 days after sale???

I just purchased a 2007 FJ about a week and a half ago at my local toyota dealership. I wasnt planning on walking out with a vehicle that day (since I had a couple months left on my leased vehicle), but they were so damn good at their job...they paid off my lease and gave me some extra money on top of that to get me into the FJ that night. Now 10 days later they call me to say that the pay-off info they got that night when they called was different than the payoff they eventually got from Ford financing. Supposedly the lessee payoff differs slightly from what a dealership gets for payoff numbers) Now they are trying to get me to cough up the extra money (arounf 1500.00). All paperwork was done that night and as far as im concerned the deal is complete. i dont think that i should be responsible for a dealership not doing their homework and overpaying for a trade-in. They did what they could to get me in the FJ and I think this is a lesson for them to learn not me. Any thoughts?

On a separate note, I LOVE the vehicle and couldnt be happier. I ended up with 2WD (i know, i know) and am excited to read the posts from others who didnt go 4WD this time around. It only been a couple weeks but im still excited as hell...

Im looking forward to meeting everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: dealership wants more money 10 days after sale???

Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you signed I imagine the deal is final but im sure others will chime in with more insight.

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Forum Veteran

More then likely you signed a payoff form. The point of this form is to say that you agree with whatever payoff amount that they are using on the contract. If that numbers is higher then you pay the difference. If that number is lower then the bank will cut you a check back. If thats the case. Just try to work it out with the dealer. They will always ask for the money and if they cant collect then something else will have to be worked out. Most of the time its them losing the profit to keep the deal..

2010 Trail Teams
-Rough Country 6inch Lift-Icon Coil Overs-Safari Snorkel-Amsteel Blue Line-All-Pro front bumper-Warn M8000-BFG 35/12.5/16 KM2'S
-7 In Kragen HID's -Light Racing UCA's-Spydertrax -Baja Rack-Bandi Mount with a 3 inch Firestick-Cobra 75WX-6K HID'S-Hi-Lift

Moab/White Rim Trail/Ouray/WTF 09-10/Jambo 10-11/Engineer Pass/Bridgeport OHV

A good friend in need(The Keeper)
Trip C Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

thanks for the quick responses! the dealership called for payoff that night, but they are telling me that payoff wasnt correct because it costs the dealership more money to payoff the car than it would have for me. It sounds to me like the dealership should have done their homework before agreeing to take my trade in. I feel for them but have no more money to put down on the car. maybe they can take some money out of the platinum warranty i overpaid for.. =) Im hoping this gets resolved quickly as prolonging my contact with the dealership financial manager isnt exactly my idea of fun !! thanks again!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
johndeeremale previously said: View Post
thanks for the quick responses! the dealership called for payoff that night, but they are telling me that payoff wasnt correct because it costs the dealership more money to payoff the car than it would have for me.
What? If you owe 10k on a car, whether you pay the 10k or your uncle joe pays it or a dealership... you owe 10k. Have them explain in detail how it costs them extra to pay it off. $1500 seems like a giant amount for them to be off and also seems fishy that it costs a dealership $1500 extra to pay it off. If the amount is anything other than a payoff amount, tell them to pound sand. Sounds more like they are trying to get extra profit out of the deal.

You should be able to check the payoff amount from Ford financial yourself so you'll have the numbers to work with.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Honestly, the dealership screwed up, and instead of eating the cost (which they should do) they are trying to get you to pay it so they don't have to. I'm sure the sales guy and the finance guy will be calling you about it, if they haven't already, because their commissions will be nothing if they have to eat that $1500.

Just my $.02.

'16 TACO TRD4x4 Offroad Double Cab....

[SOLD]'08 BD, 2.5 SAWs, TC UCAs, Rocktek Tube Bumper, Rocktek Sliders, ATX Thugs, 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro MTs, M-PAC Back Rack & Straddle, aFe Hi-Tuck, TRD CAI, Big Bill Combo, Diff jock strap, Agent Skulley Shifter, Custom Charcoal Canister
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is a common tactic. Don't fall for it. Have they threatened yet to repossess your FJ because until they complete the paperwork on it, it's not "officially" yours? Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago. Signed all the paperwork, took delivery of the car, then about a week later got a call from the dealer saying the interest rate they quoted me was lower than what they ended up getting, and they needed me to come in and sign new loan papers at a higher interest rate or else they would repossess the car. I refused and reported it to my state attorney general's office. In the end, the dealership was forced to eat the difference. Once you take delivery, the deal is done. It's just like any purchase. The store can't ask for more money after they've rung up the sale and let you walk out with the merchandise.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

They are lying to you. It is not an uncommon practice. Never buy from that dealer again and tell all your friends not to buy from that dealer.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Forum Detective

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I would imagine that you signed a form that said you would be responsible for the difference in the payoff if it came back higher. If you didn't sign such a form tell them to go pound sand!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Yeah....going in to see them wouldn't be high on my priority list either but yeah I would want to see the paperwork with my signature on it that stated I would pay the difference....and ask to see the original and not a copy of your signature.

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in