Price negotiation. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Price negotiation.

I have purchased two new cars in the past. The first was my Dakota PU, the second my girlfriends Mazda 3. When I got the truck I negotiated on the payments, it worked out ok, but I could have done better. On the Mazda I did better, we got a couple of thousand off the dealer price. Still I bet I could have done better.

My question is when I start to haggle on a FJ or any new car how do you go about getting them down closer to invoice. I know most dealerships are selling for MSRP but there are people getting good deals out there. I have a pre-approved loan for the FJ and a trade in. I would use the dealer to finance through if they can beat the APR I have already. I am trying to make this easy, do I just walk in and throw a check down with the take it or leave it attitude?

And last the same question applies on getting the most on my trade in. I know I would get more private property, but who wants to deal with that.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Price negotiation.

Good luck on negotiations here on the Wet Coast. Not going to happen. This isnt a Honda Civic. More like a Ferrari.
Best you can do is MSRP and be patient for your order to come in. Looks like all the deals are in the East.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I agree to a point, but I belive you can almost always get something out of them.

I am 23 and have a credit score right around 750, what should I be looking at for apr. I have 7.4 for 72 months pre aproved, can a dealer work to get me a lower APR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Chris W previously said:
I agree to a point, but I belive you can almost always get something out of them.

I am 23 and have a credit score right around 750, what should I be looking at for apr. I have 7.4 for 72 months pre aproved, can a dealer work to get me a lower APR?
Portland Teachers Credit Union is offering 6.39% on new vehicles up to 96 months.
As a side note, you CAN get better than MSRP, you just have to work at it. I got my FJ for $764.00 under sticker. It's not much........but it's $764.00!
Good luck.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Don't worry about financing, figure out what you want to pay, go in there and make the offer to the sales manager, no one else and stand firm. Thats what i do and always get what i want...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Where did you buy from? I have been told $300-600 of a 6speed is workable.

Thanks for the info on Portland Teachers Credit Union.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Chris W previously said:
Where did you buy from? I have been told $300-600 of a 6speed is workable.

Thanks for the info on Portland Teachers Credit Union.
Appleway in Spokane Washington. We flew out to pick it up, and drove back home. Great way to get aquainted with it!
Capitol Toyota in Salem is closer, and the Internet Sales Manager (Rory Casebeer) is a straight-shooter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 PM

Sorry, I thought for some reason you wanted something specific (ie order). Yeah you might be able to haggle pennies, but again it will most likely be on the loaded models. I hope you arent looking for a base model!
PTCU/OnPoint is indeed the best that I know of (Im a satisfied member).
Dont know of getting a better APR...most of that has long gone by the wayside. Hell, Ive got a score of 810. Highest you can get is 820. OnPoint still only offered me the 6% range.
Let me know when you get one and we'll go out for a spin!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
DirtyLittleSecret previously said:
Sorry, I thought for some reason you wanted something specific (ie order). Yeah you might be able to haggle pennies, but again it will most likely be on the loaded models. I hope you arent looking for a base model!
PTCU/OnPoint is indeed the best that I know of (Im a satisfied member).
Dont know of getting a better APR...most of that has long gone by the wayside. Hell, Ive got a score of 810. Highest you can get is 820. OnPoint still only offered me the 6% range.
Let me know when you get one and we'll go out for a spin!
Not trying to start an argument or anything, but after receiving a call notifying me of the arrival date of the vehicle, I was able to strip off all of the projected port installed options that did not interest me and only have the options that I wanted on it (for a list see sig). The dealer was incredibly accomodating, and then the negotiations began. Maybe I was just very fortunate. Good luck!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
DirtyLittleSecret previously said:
Good luck on negotiations here on the Wet Coast. Not going to happen. This isnt a Honda Civic. More like a Ferrari.
Best you can do is MSRP and be patient for your order to come in. Looks like all the deals are in the East.
maybe oregon is different, but in nor cal u can easily get $1500 off msrp and closer to $3000 off on loaded vehicles and/or 4 x 2's.

Financing - my credit score was bad, about 630, but my father, bless him, co-signed the loan and now i have a 5.85% apr loan. Since the car is registered to him as well, I am afraid to let him drive it because he might like it too much and steal it from me...

Last edited by nemo; 09-27-2006 at 10:09 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in