What's the best year to buy? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: What's the best year to buy?

Is the FJ the only vehicle that has no 2010 leftovers? I can't seem to find any on the internet. Maybe this is just a bad time of the year to be looking for a 4X4. With snow in the forecast dealers think they have you by the short and curly's anyway, but no leftovers?

I'd also like to find out what the differences in the engines are. You mentioned the older ones were easier to maintain and the new ones had variable valve timing w/a bit more HP and gas mileage. The HP means little to me, I'm a torque fan ... love the grunt at low rpm. My Triumph has 155 ft lbs at 2000 rpm and stomps all over those 200 hp crotch rockets, so I'm wondering if maybe the previous engine has advantages over the "new and improved".

I'll be using Mobil 1 and extending oil services to between 8,000 and 10,000 miles, but I'll be doing it myself along with most other repairs/maintenance. Is the new engine more trouble to service at home? Is it just an access issue?

My biggest concern for upkeep is the drive-line ... primarily the front axles and hubs. I never had any trouble with my Raider, but that was a different animal.

I guess I'll learn as I go ... Toyota is just about the only make I've never owned before.

Last edited by HellFire; 01-07-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
HellFire previously said: View Post
Is the FJ the only vehicle that has no 2010 leftovers? I can't seem to find any on the internet. Maybe this is just a bad time of the year to be looking for a 4X4. With snow in the forecast dealers think they have you by the short and curly's anyway, but no leftovers?

I'd also like to find out what the differences in the engines are. You mentioned the older ones were easier to maintain and the new ones had variable valve timing w/a bit more HP and gas mileage. The HP means little to me, I'm a torque fan ... love the grunt at low rpm. My Triumph has 155 ft lbs at 2000 rpm and stomps all over those 200 hp crotch rockets, so I'm wondering if maybe the previous engine has advantages over the "new and improved".

I'll be using Mobil 1 and extending oil services to between 8,000 and 10,000 miles, but I'll be doing it myself along with most other repairs/maintenance. Is the new engine more trouble to service at home? Is it just an access issue?

My biggest concern for upkeep is the drive-line ... primarily the front axles and hubs. I never had any trouble with my Raider, but that was a different animal.

I guess I'll learn as I go ... Toyota is just about the only make I've never owned before.
The new ones have dual VVT, the old ones only had it on the intake valves.

You also must remove the skid plates anytime you change the oil, not at all needed on the older. Doing an oil change in general is a heck of a lot easier on the older model. No filter style cartridge thingy they are now using.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If I was looking for a used FJ, I would look for a 2009. By 2009 model year they had the newest fender apron (late 2008 models do also), and has the old engine so oil changes are alot easier to do. The downside to the '09 is that they didn't build very many. Any year is good though, just look for one that isn't thrashed and low mileage is a good thing IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM

'08 is the last year that has an available TRD supercharger, right?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular

get a 2007, because the rest are just reproductions of the original. hehehe

best to see if you can get a fj from a non toyota dealership

you would probably save 3-5k just because of that

drive both at and manual

drive as many of them you can thats the best way to make up your mind

good luck

late bloomer.
07 TRD 3200.01
FJ spoken here --> www.FJNORTHEASTERS.org
TOTOTA spoken here --> www.gclcny.com
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
Lifetime Supporting Member

Hellfire, LIke most said keep an eye out for the fender tears/bulge on an older FJ. Don't fret it though, if you run across an older one and it's clear of the defect, most likely that fj will never get it.

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Athena previously said: View Post
Hellfire, LIke most said keep an eye out for the fender tears/bulge on an older FJ. Don't fret it though, if you run across an older one and it's clear of the defect, most likely that fj will never get it.
Kinda like an inherited, genetic, built on Friday, birth defect.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Forum Regular

2010 - current have a tighter turning radius. I have an 07 with over 100k no problems yet knock on wood
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to chitown4x4

They changed the Rear Diff in the 2010 to a larger 8.25 unit to beef it up over the previous model years. You also get a Back up Camera built in to the mirror, map lights up front. Also updated is the 4.0 to a dual variable over head valve that feels faster than the earlier models and also returns better gas mileage.

Down sides to the 2010.
The new motor has the oil filter down below like other cars, makes changing with skids harder.
The Rear diff, although larger and beefier, does not have aftermarket gears or Lockers available for it yet... Im sure this will change soon... I hope.
The Back up camera, although cool, if you mount larger wheel on the back with bigger tire, some of your downward view is obstructed.

Some people ***** about the new motor that the torque comes on later. I have driven both back to back and there is a difference, the 2010 felt faster in the upper revs, had better throttle response and although it has 8 less FTLB's of torque it has a flatter curve so there is more power under the curve on the new motor.

If toyota follows suite like they have in past with the VVTI engine, there will not be a supercharger with this motor which kinda sucks. but Im sure URD will have fun with it soon enough. Better Breathing motor with a blower is awesome! Can't wait to see what they come up with!

Also, the new motor responds very very favorable to 93 octane. I stopped into a station and all they had was 93 on a working pump. So I filled up on 93 and wow. There was a huge Butt Dyno Power improvement from the 87 I was using the previous tank. Im kinda wondering now what the MPG difference would be with 93 and if it is worth it.

So yes.. the 2010 is improved and is the best FJC yet!

Keep the Faith - Chase the Dream
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
DAGORED previously said: View Post
If I was looking for a used FJ, I would look for a 2009. By 2009 model year they had the newest fender apron (late 2008 models do also), and has the old engine so oil changes are alot easier to do. The downside to the '09 is that they didn't build very many.
All of these are reasons I started out looking for an '09 with a 6 speed manual. Wow, rude awakening. I don't even see any '09's for sale, let alone a 6 speed. How come Toyota didn't build many ? Was it the economy, or was something wrong that they were trying to correct ?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in