What a long strange trip. aka Midway Toyota in Pocomoke City Sucks - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What a long strange trip. aka Midway Toyota in Pocomoke City Sucks

All,

I could use some advice on what I should do on the below... Sorry it is so long. Should I call Toyota Customer Service and report the dealer? Better Business Bureau? A lawyer? The police?

Well, I started looking for an FJ over the summer after test driving a friend's Voodoo. I decided on the options and color I wanted, (Black Cherry), and did contact several dealers in the Baltimore/Annapolis/Eastern Shore of Maryland areas. Those that returned my calls were asking MSRP and in some cases considerably higher. Finally, I thought I found a local dealer who offered to order what I wanted as long as I put a deposit down and told me I would have it in 8 weeks. I signed the paperwork and put the money down and thought all was well....

Week 1: Nothing happened to arouse suspicion.

Week 2: I call the dealer to add a set of floor mats. Again, nothing out of the ordinary...

Week 3: I get a call from the dealer asking if I was willing to take an identical car to what I ordered from another dealer that would put 100 - 120 miles on the odometer but instead of waiting 4 or 5 more weeks I would get it in 1 or 2. I said sure, the sooner the better.

Week 4: While out on a trip for work, my parents get a call from the dealership, (my dad and I both have the same first name and he is listed), saying she had lost my phone number and needed to get up with me immediately. Mom called my cell and I then called the dealership from the airport. Note that this is almost a direct quote, "I have bad news and good news. The good news is that I have an FJ here on the lot the same color that you wanted but it has 3 or 4k more in options on it then the one you ordered. The bad news is that your FJ cruiser is at the bottom of the ocean" I sorta mumbled, "What the..." She then added, "My manager has been informed that the ship sank on they way to the US." I asked if I would get this FJ for the same negotiated price and she replied no, that the loaded FJ's were more popular and that they weren't allowed to deal. She added that I would wait until late November to get a replacement FJ per my ordered specs if I didn't take the one on the lot. I told her I would think about it and call back... <<I almost believed it because it was such a fantasic story. Why would they lie when it would be so easy to verify...>>

After I got home, I googled sunk ships and then called Toyota. No ship had sunk... I did not tell Toyota the dealer's name at this point. I then called the salesperson back and informed her that I didn't appreciate being lied to and that I wanted to speak to her manager. I was told that he was playing golf and would call me next week...

Week 5: The manager calls, apparently having golfed for 5 days. I asked him WTF on the sunk story. He literally said that someone had told him of a sunk ship at some point. I asked him who told him? If it had an FJ Cruiser on it? Any Toyotas? Why didn't Toyota know about it? Did it happend in 2006? He stuttered for a while and apologized for any confusion or mis-communication and that he would make it "clear".

The "clear" story (this time) was that the combination of options I ordered is very rare and that the lead ended up considerably higher than 8 weeks. Additionally, Toyota allocates FJs to him without any indication of what he will get and no notice. I asked if my FJ had been ordered then? He said "yes and no". I told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted my deposit back immediately and that I would not do business with such a blatant liar. Additionally, I added that if he had told me that up front I may have fallen for it. He then offered $500 off of MSRP on the loaded FJ... I told him where to go and I got my deposit back within 3 hours (confirmed it with the bank).

Week 6: I get a call from the salesperson asking me if I changed my mind and that she was sorry but her manager was making her call. I tell her I won't buy from blatant liars.

I get a second call later in the week stating that Toyota has informed them that the original FJ I ordered will be in shortly. I again told her no and don't call me back....

I decide to drive to the DC area to negotiate a purchase of an FJ from another dealer. On the way, I swing by a smaller dealer that never seemed to have FJs in stock. Low and behold, a Black Cherry was sitting up front! 3 hours later I was driving her home with a similar deal. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but they were honest and direct.

Week 7: I get another call from them again saying the FJ is on the lot now and that they have been authorized to give me $1,500 off of MSRP, (more than my original negotiated price). I tell them I already bought one from another dealer and do not call back...

What do you guys think????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Re: What a long strange trip....

Get your deposit back go find another dealer and report them to the better business bureau as well as the Maryland's Department of Consumer Affairs.

Sorry to hear, but most of the dealers like to play this sophmoric game.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Maryland FJ previously said: View Post
All,

I could use some advice on what I should do on the below... Sorry it is so long. Should I call Toyota Customer Service and report the dealer? Better Business Bureau? A lawyer? The police?

Well, I started looking for an FJ over the summer after test driving a friend's Voodoo. I decided on the options and color I wanted, (Black Cherry), and did contact several dealers in the Baltimore/Annapolis/Eastern Shore of Maryland areas. Those that returned my calls were asking MSRP and in some cases considerably higher. Finally, I thought I found a local dealer who offered to order what I wanted as long as I put a deposit down and told me I would have it in 8 weeks. I signed the paperwork and put the money down and thought all was well....

Week 2: I call the dealer to add a set of floor mats. Again, nothing out of the ordinary...

Week 3: I get a call from the dealer asking if I was willing to take an identical car to what I ordered from another dealer that would put 100 - 120 miles on the odometer but instead of waiting 4 or 5 more weeks I would get it in 1 or 2. I said sure, the sooner the better.

Week 4: While out on a trip for work, my parents get a call from the dealership, (my dad and I both have the same first name and he is listed), saying she had lost my phone number and needed to get up with me immediately. Mom called my cell and I then called the dealership from the airport. Note that this is almost a direct quote, "I have bad news and good news. The good news is that I have an FJ here on the lot the same color that you wanted but it has 3 or 4k more in options on it then the one you ordered. The bad news is that your FJ cruiser is at the bottom of the ocean" I sorta mumbled, "What the..." She then added, "My manager has been informed that the ship sank on they way to the US." I asked if I would get this FJ for the same negotiated price and she replied no, that the loaded FJ's were more popular and that they weren't allowed to deal. She added that I would wait until late November to get a replacement FJ per my ordered specs if I didn't take the one on the lot. I told her I would think about it and call back... <<I almost believed it because it was such a fantasic story. Why would they lie when it would be so easy to verify...>>

After I got home, I googled sunk ships and then called Toyota. No ship had sunk... I did not tell Toyota the dealer's name at this point. I then called the salesperson back and informed her that I didn't appreciate being lied to and that I wanted to speak to her manager. I was told that he was playing golf and would call me next week...

Week 5: The manager calls, apparently having golfed for 5 days. I asked him WTF on the sunk story. He literally said that someone had told him of a sunk ship at some point. I asked him who told him? If it had an FJ Cruiser on it? Any Toyotas? Why didn't Toyota know about it? Did it happend in 2006? He stuttered for a while and apologized for any confusion or mis-communication and that he would make it "clear".

The "clear" story (this time) was that the combination of options I ordered is very rare and that the lead ended up considerably higher than 8 weeks. Additionally, Toyota allocates FJs to him without any indication of what he will get and no notice. I asked if my FJ had been ordered then? He said "yes and no". I told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted my deposit back immediately and that I would not do business with such a blatant liar. Additionally, I added that if he had told me that up front I may have fallen for it. He then offered $500 off of MSRP on the loaded FJ... I told him where to go and I got my deposit back within 3 hours (confirmed it with the bank).

Week 6: I get a call from the salesperson asking me if I changed my mind and that she was sorry but her manager was making her call. I tell her I won't buy from blatant liars.

I get a second call later in the week stating that Toyota has informed them that the original FJ I ordered will be in shortly. I again told her no and don't call me back....

I decide to drive to the DC area to negotiate a purchase of an FJ from another dealer. On the way, I swing by a smaller dealer that never seemed to have FJs in stock. Low and behold, a Black Cherry was sitting up front! 3 hours later I was driving her home with a similar deal. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but they were honest and direct.

Week 7: I get another call from them again saying the FJ is on the lot now and that they have been authorized to give me $1,500 off of MSRP, (more than my original negotiated price). I tell them I already bought one from another dealer and do not call back...

Contact Toyota's Customer Service Center and lodge a complaint. They have a reputation and customer satisfaction to protect and would want to know if something this unbelievably idiotic was happening at a dealership. I'm not saying anything will come of it, but...ya never know. make sure you have names, dates, etc.

I gotta tell ya, all my years in the industry and that's the most elaborate B.S. story I EVER heard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Forum Master

I believe you did the right thing. I'd be sure and tell everyone I know, if I were you, about your experience with this particular dealer. I think it is important for others to know about these kinds of "bad business" practices.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Forum Master

Sorry to hear the bull you had to go through and i would report the dealership to toyota . Now that you have your fj a few of us are going wheeling next weekend if your intrested https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t-20-21-a.html. It should help you get the bad taste out of your mouth and meet some cool folks who love there fj.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Maryland FJ previously said: View Post
All,

Sounds like some some crap that Jerry's Toyota would spew. I had a heck of a time getting my deposit back from them.

07 FJC - Sun Fusion 4x4 (AT)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Forum Regular

Wow...rough time you had there! I'm glad you didn't do business with them.

On another note, I actually read an article in the newspaper not that long ago that ships full of cars sinking is not all that uncommon. The example used for that story was a load of 200+ Mazdas sitting at the bottom of ocean. The main focus of the story was the legal limbo the car maker and the shipper are in to sort out just who's insurance pays for that!

I think this dealer was hoping you read that article and believed their BS!

Mikey

[Titanium MT6 4X4
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
Mikeys07FJ previously said: View Post
The example used for that story was a load of 200+ Mazdas sitting at the bottom of ocean. Mikey
Actually the ship never sank and was tow to Alaska where it was righted. Then the ship proceeded to Portland, Oregon, where the Mazdas were off-loaded and processed.

The word is that Mazdas will sell as damaged vehicles (used, but with full warranty). All vehicles on this voyage will have the VIN numbers documented and posted so anyone buying one of these cars will be fully informed about the shipping incident and any repairs made to the vehicle.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

Those darn reporters!

Mikey

[Titanium MT6 4X4
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Forum Master

Lifetime Supporting Member

Maryland FJ,
You've got your car, right? No need to get the police involved. But definitely call Toyota's customer experience line (do a search for it) and let them know how dissatisfied you are.

Then post the name of the dealer you dealt with up here on the forums so we all know who not to do business with. Then forward the dealer a link to this thread so they can know that the days of trying to screw over customers have passed. Thanks to the internet, the dealers no longer have to have the upper hand.

Your FJ at the bottom of the ocean? That's the most outrageous one I've heard yet.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in