I could use some advice on what I should do on the below... Sorry it is so long. Should I call Toyota Customer Service and report the dealer? Better Business Bureau? A lawyer? The police?
Well, I started looking for an FJ over the summer after test driving a friend's Voodoo. I decided on the options and color I wanted, (Black Cherry), and did contact several dealers in the Baltimore/Annapolis/Eastern Shore of Maryland areas. Those that returned my calls were asking MSRP and in some cases considerably higher. Finally, I thought I found a local dealer who offered to order what I wanted as long as I put a deposit down and told me I would have it in 8 weeks. I signed the paperwork and put the money down and thought all was well....
: Nothing happened to arouse suspicion.
: I call the dealer to add a set of floor mats. Again, nothing out of the ordinary...
: I get a call from the dealer asking if I was willing to take an identical car to what I ordered from another dealer that would put 100 - 120 miles on the odometer but instead of waiting 4 or 5 more weeks I would get it in 1 or 2. I said sure, the sooner the better.
: While out on a trip for work, my parents get a call from the dealership, (my dad and I both have the same first name and he is listed), saying she had lost my phone number and needed to get up with me immediately. Mom called my cell and I then called the dealership from the airport. Note that this is almost a direct quote, "I have bad news and good news. The good news is that I have an FJ here on the lot the same color that you wanted but it has 3 or 4k more in options on it then the one you ordered. The bad news is that your FJ cruiser is at the bottom of the ocean" I sorta mumbled, "What the..." She then added, "My manager has been informed that the ship sank on they way to the US." I asked if I would get this FJ for the same negotiated price and she replied no, that the loaded FJ's were more popular and that they weren't allowed to deal. She added that I would wait until late November to get a replacement FJ per my ordered specs if I didn't take the one on the lot. I told her I would think about it and call back... <<I almost believed it because it was such a fantasic story. Why would they lie when it would be so easy to verify...>>
After I got home, I googled sunk ships and then called Toyota. No ship had sunk... I did not tell Toyota the dealer's name at this point. I then called the salesperson back and informed her that I didn't appreciate being lied to and that I wanted to speak to her manager. I was told that he was playing golf and would call me next week...
: The manager calls, apparently having golfed for 5 days. I asked him WTF on the sunk story. He literally said that someone had told him of a sunk ship at some point. I asked him who told him? If it had an FJ Cruiser on it? Any Toyotas? Why didn't Toyota know about it? Did it happend in 2006? He stuttered for a while and apologized for any confusion or mis-communication and that he would make it "clear".
The "clear" story (this time) was that the combination of options I ordered is very rare and that the lead ended up considerably higher than 8 weeks. Additionally, Toyota allocates FJs to him without any indication of what he will get and no notice. I asked if my FJ had been ordered then? He said "yes and no". I told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted my deposit back immediately and that I would not do business with such a blatant liar. Additionally, I added that if he had told me that up front I may have fallen for it. He then offered $500 off of MSRP on the loaded FJ... I told him where to go and I got my deposit back within 3 hours (confirmed it with the bank).
: I get a call from the salesperson asking me if I changed my mind and that she was sorry but her manager was making her call. I tell her I won't buy from blatant liars.
I get a second call later in the week stating that Toyota has informed them that the original FJ I ordered will be in shortly. I again told her no and don't call me back....
I decide to drive to the DC area to negotiate a purchase of an FJ from another dealer. On the way, I swing by a smaller dealer that never seemed to have FJs in stock. Low and behold, a Black Cherry was sitting up front! 3 hours later I was driving her home with a similar deal. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but they were honest and direct.
: I get another call from them again saying the FJ is on the lot now and that they have been authorized to give me $1,500 off of MSRP, (more than my original negotiated price). I tell them I already bought one from another dealer and do not call back...
What do you guys think????