Really? Can't order a base model! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Really? Can't order a base model!

Maybe we are comparing Canadian to US?
Mikey's rig(rig of the month sept.2010) is a Canadian not a US model. Perhaps the Canadian units start with less. For example, it didn't even have side or curtain air bags which are standard on all US models and have been since the 2008s.

I just bought a 2011 US model and didn't come across any base models either during my searches and phone calls. Everything I remember seeing at least had CQ. I wasn't specifically looking for a base, but in conversation was informed they all came with minimum options and couldn't be ordered without them.

OP, Good luck finding one. You mentioned 'my dealer'. Maybe try talking with a couple of other dealers in other parts of the country. It didn't do me any good, but maybe you'll hit upon the 'truth'.

TLCA member, '07 Voodoo, Auto w/Upgrade Pkg. #2, Conv. Pkg., SAB and SCA. Built: 4/2006
Previous: '96-FZJ80, '03-UZJ100....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. I was looking at buying a new Yaris for a commuter. I wanted the base base model with only side impact air bags and a CD player/radio. You could build it online but no one could order it. The air bags bumped me up like your rear locker did and put the price too high for what I wanted.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I've now been told the same "minimum configuration" thing by 7 of 8 dealers. I don't have much hope for the 8th as he needed to "look up" the right code and would get back to me.

I must say, I find it odd that a vehicle that was supposed to be a true off-roader and a more economical version of the land cruiser legacy cannot be ordered without a slew of whiz bangs. Does the most basic 4x4 really need a rear backup camera that displays in the rear view mirror ? Is this really a feature off-roaders are looking for? Sound more like the soccer mom crowd. Is there any reliable, economical true 4x4 out there without a bed? Well, I'm off to research the double cab taco!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

338, sorry to read post 13. Unfortunately, the Wrangler, judging by its latest iteration, our 2007 with the minivan engine, is still lacking in the reliable/build quality dept. Lots of fun and truely 4x4off road capable, but...one learns to live with its downsides or get really frustrated.

TLCA member, '07 Voodoo, Auto w/Upgrade Pkg. #2, Conv. Pkg., SAB and SCA. Built: 4/2006
Previous: '96-FZJ80, '03-UZJ100....
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

This is called "bait and switch" which is a crime report them.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
338 previously said: View Post
I've been lurking for a while but just joined now that I've decided to buy an FJ.
I'm trying to factory order a base model 4x4 AT (4704). Price negotiations seem to be going ok. The problem is my configuration. The only option I wanted was the rear locker (code DL last year) My dealer says the cheapest way to get this option is the standard convenience package ($2890). This package includes CQ, FE and OF. The rear locker is in the OF package. Told I can't order the locker seperately or even the OF package separately. Now here's the best kicker, they say they can't order any FJ base model. It must have at least the standard convenience package. Was told the dealer was "at the mercy of Japan". Can anybody confirm that a base model doesn't actually exist.

Jim
pm me i think i can help you out
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Forum Master

There is 1 FJ in the USA in a 4704 which doesn't have OFF Road or the Up Grade Pkg

Here are the options
F AL 17" Alloy Wheels
F DL Electronically Controlled Locking
F FE 50 State Emissions
F RL Daytime Running Lights
P 3T Roof Rack
P 62 All Weather Cargo Mat
P EL Armrest - Passenger Side
F CQ Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Power Outside Mirrors with Illuminated Markers, Rear Privacy Glass, Rear Window Wiper, Spare Tire Cover, and Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Integrated Backup Camera Monitor

This is at:
Toyota of Warsaw
Warsaw IN
574-267-4636

It is Silver.. Temp VIN is BK106733

This one is still on the ship coming from Japan, which means you can get rid of most of the things you don't want..

But you will more than likely have to keep the CQ..

Call them and see if they can sell it to you...

If you act quickly you may be able to get it.. There is a very short window in which we can change options and on a Vehicle...

Good Luck

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I tried to order a 2011 FJ 6-speed with just the Convenience and Upgrade packages.

After waiting for two months without any proof that my order would ever be accepted, I gave up and bought a 2011 with the Convenience and Off-Road packages off the floor.

This is just, unfortunately, the way Toyota works - they build "common configurations" and true custom orders are rare and take forever.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Forum Veteran

I think its crazy how you can't get some configurations/colors based on area. ie.. you can't get a 2011 Blue Manual trans in Kansas City, however it is available in Denver, CO - this is according to the toyota.com builder...

Michael G. / 2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Team Edition
Membership: TLCA# 20307
Primary club www.BrushBeaters.com
Board of Directors - http://ksrockspark.com
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
338 previously said: View Post
IDoes the most basic 4x4 really need a rear backup camera that displays in the rear view mirror ?
Actually, yes it does.

For all it does right, the FJ has very, very little rear visibility.

Seriously, anything shorter than the top of the spare tire directly behind the vehicle will be completely invisible to you in the driver's seat and to all mirrors.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in