Really? Can't order a base model! - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Really? Can't order a base model!

Quote:
BillK previously said: View Post
Actually, yes it does.

For all it does right, the FJ has very, very little rear visibility.

Seriously, anything shorter than the top of the spare tire directly behind the vehicle will be completely invisible to you in the driver's seat and to all mirrors.
Uh-oh, mine does not have one. Should I take it back, stop driving it?! Is there a TSB for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

<threadhijack>
Quote:
338 previously said: View Post
Does the most basic 4x4 really need a rear backup camera that displays in the rear view mirror ? Is this really a feature off-roaders are looking for?
I absolutely concur. However, the "herp derp" crowd is pushing this as a safety feature:

NHTSA Proposes Standard Backup Cameras in All Vehicles By 2014 - Auto Observer

Attributing a mandatory feature to "safety" is insufficient justification for me. For example, I have no issue with seat belts, but I draw the line against DRL's, backup cameras, and seat belt reminder chimes. If enough people get annoyed perhaps there will be a mod thread for disabling the camera. It looks like we will have to deal with FJ's coming from the factory with the camera from now on, though.

</threadhijack>
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Forum Master

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
gibsonmd previously said: View Post
I think its crazy how you can't get some configurations/colors based on area. ie.. you can't get a 2011 Blue Manual trans in Kansas City, however it is available in Denver, CO - this is according to the toyota.com builder...
It isn't that you can't get them in KC, it is that there are only 11 in the USA in the Blue so far this year..

The Portland region (where I work) supplies Denver and KC with their vehicles as this is the port which all Japanese made vehicles come through for those regions.. I know you can get it..

Here is one closer to you than Denver
Cedric Theel Toyota
Bismark ND
701-223-2190
It is on the gound right now VIN JTEBU4BF8BK099269

Options
F CQ Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Power Outside Mirrors with Illuminated Markers, Rear Privacy Glass, Rear Window Wiper, Spare Tire Cover, and Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Integrated Backup Camera Monitor
P CF Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat

Accessories:
F AL 17" Alloy Wheels
F FE 50 State Emissions
F OF Off-Road Package:
P 3T Roof Rack

MSRP 31351.00
Invoice 28766.00

Call them and make a deal...

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't think the camera should be required. Nanny is becoming more and more demented. Then again, someone keeps electing people to office who pass laws and appoint regulators that push this mentality. If you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll keep on getting more of what you've got.

That said, I find it helpful compared to our '7 when backing up or attaching a trailer.
The seat belt chime is annoying to me. The backup camera is not. I'm glad it is an option.

Several years ago there was a lot of discussion about the 'poor rearward visibility' of the FJ. Toyota offered a solution that did help visibility as well as their bottom line.

TLCA member, '07 Voodoo, Auto w/Upgrade Pkg. #2, Conv. Pkg., SAB and SCA. Built: 4/2006
Previous: '96-FZJ80, '03-UZJ100....
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Quote:
007FJ previously said: View Post
Here is one closer to you than Denver
Cedric Theel Toyota
Bismark ND
701-223-2190
It is on the gound right now VIN JTEBU4BF8BK099269
I guess the one you mentioned is not in the system yet. I went to their site and only ones I saw as "In-Stock" were two 2010s. I did see two blue ones listed as "Available". So they are at other dealerships.

http://cedrictheeltoyota.com/Bismarc...ta/FJ-Cruiser/

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Forum Master

It shows in the National Toyota dealer system, so it may not be on their site as of yet.. Not all dealers have the best in websites..

It has been there since Dec 20th.. 2010..

I don't know, I looked at the inventory also and I couldn't find it.. But the national system says it is there...

Funny,..

007-FJ

It isn't a vehicle,it's a LEGEND

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I saw an FJ in Denver that didn't have any mirror light. I didn't get a chance to see if it was a true base model though.

2007 Titanium Metallic
Demello Front Bumper
Demello Hybrid Sliders
TOYTEC BOSS Coilovers
Rigid Industries Fog and Wide lights
Ricochet HD Bash Plate and Engine Skid
TRD CAI
Level 8 MK6 Wheels with TRD Center Caps
VIP Security (didn't work)
Viper 5701
Gobi Stealth, Lader, Hi-Lift Mounts
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Quote:
007FJ previously said: View Post
It shows in the National Toyota dealer system, so it may not be on their site as of yet.. Not all dealers have the best in websites..

It has been there since Dec 20th.. 2010..

I don't know, I looked at the inventory also and I couldn't find it.. But the national system says it is there...

Funny,..
Are you a dealer? Asking since you have access to the national system. If so, aren't pr shouldn't the dealer sites just be their piece of the national system (i.e same database segregated by the dealer name)?

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BillK previously said: View Post
I tried to order a 2011 FJ 6-speed with just the Convenience and Upgrade packages.

After waiting for two months without any proof that my order would ever be accepted, I gave up and bought a 2011 with the Convenience and Off-Road packages off the floor.

This is just, unfortunately, the way Toyota works - they build "common configurations" and true custom orders are rare and take forever.
I hope this isn't another common practice. Actually put a deposit on a base model 4x4 Auto with only FE and the rear locker. No CQ or OF ! Did I just bag bigfoot or did I fall for another car salesman trick? Said delivery was estimated at 12 weeks. If this turns out to be legit, I might actually have something nice to say about a car salesman!
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
338 previously said: View Post
I hope this isn't another common practice. Actually put a deposit on a base model 4x4 Auto with only FE and the rear locker. No CQ or OF ! Did I just bag bigfoot or did I fall for another car salesman trick? Said delivery was estimated at 12 weeks. If this turns out to be legit, I might actually have something nice to say about a car salesman!
12 weeks sounds about right assuming Toyota accepts the order and actually builds it - that's the tricky bit.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in