Various Packages - Questions :) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Various Packages - Questions :)

So it's kind of hard to list out everything I want, because some of the packages are available with each other, some aren't, some parts are included in packages, some aren't, some are available in packages that may or may not be available based on my other selections.

For example, it *appears* that if I get the Upgrade Package (which adds the power outlet in the back, 17" wheels, 6 disc changer, etc.), the off-road package is unavailable...but the only thing missing from the Upgrade Package that the Off-Road package has is the Bilstein Shocks. What exactly are the Bilstein Shocks and do they only really matter if I'm doing off-roading? I'll mostly be on the street but might do a 3" lift at some point, so I don't want to get the Bilstein shocks and then dump them if/when I lift it...if that's how it works (meaning, that the Bilstein shocks are no longer usable with a lift?)

It looks like I can do the Upgrade Package and Convenience Package as well...I want the backup camera, the compass, power mirrors, read wiper.

Anyway, any guidance on packages and what goes with what? Maybe based on others' 2012 purchases?

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Various Packages - Questions :)

I would suggest the convenience packages, and upgrade. I would avoid the offroad package as all of it will be replaced when you lift your FJ (assuming your going coil over and not spacer). There are enough people on the forum almost giving away the Bilsteins, you could get them cheaper that way.

I would also suggest (though difficult) to not get the roof rack. The after market styles from Baja are almost the same price and offer better design, weight capacity and construction plus they can be customized for lights.

From what you have listed as need, Ill tell you what Ive used- The back up camera
is a must, the aux power plug in the back is a great plus and I have used the power mirrors (once) then left them alone...

The rear wiper doesnt get used due to stickers all over window and the compass and inclonometer (bubble/ angle) roller ball are useless in todays world with GPS and road signs being everywhere. The bubble angle devise only lets you know how much the front dips in braking and how much the drivers side leans after a few months (both of these are correctable with after market suspension upgrades).

Hope that helps.

Post up your picks when you pick it up

-OC

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Various Packages - Questions :)

Quote:
Old Cruiser previously said: View Post
I would suggest the convenience packages, and upgrade. I would avoid the offroad package as all of it will be replaced when you lift your FJ (assuming your going coil over and not spacer). There are enough people on the forum almost giving away the Bilsteins, you could get them cheaper that way.

I would also suggest (though difficult) to not get the roof rack. The after market styles from Baja are almost the same price and offer better design, weight capacity and construction plus they can be customized for lights.

From what you have listed as need, Ill tell you what Ive used- The back up camera
is a must, the aux power plug in the back is a great plus and I have used the power mirrors (once) then left them alone...

The rear wiper doesnt get used due to stickers all over window and the compass and inclonometer (bubble/ angle) roller ball are useless in todays world with GPS and road signs being everywhere. The bubble angle devise only lets you know how much the front dips in braking and how much the drivers side leans after a few months (both of these are correctable with after market suspension upgrades).

Hope that helps.

Post up your picks when you pick it up

-OC
Yeah man, very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to type that all out, much appreciated!

I agree about the aftermarket roof racks being better/cooler, but what's kind of appealing about the roof rack and then the air dam and lights (assuming they'll actually do the air dam and lights) is that they install it and I don't have to mess around with the wiring. If it was pre-wired for roof lights with just an empty toggle on the dash then it would be one thing, but I think roof lights in general are cool so I'll want them at some point and don't know if I want to do the wiring etc myself. Kind of the same deal with the front bumper auxiliary lights...it would be nice to have the wiring done, even if I replace them with something else. On the other hand, maybe I wouldn't even need both the roof and front bumper lights. The reality is that this is going to be 99% on-road for me, but I want it to look cool.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in