Why would a NOT certify a clean used vehicle? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why would a $tealer NOT certify a clean used vehicle?

Just curious to know why a Toyota $tealer would NOT certify a used 2010 FJ with only 5k miles. They also have an '07 with 10k that is not certified. Does this sound a little odd? Is there something they are concerned with that they are not willing to stand by it? I would think a low mile clean vehicle as it shows would be an easy way to Certify and tag on the extra 2k. Yes.. the '10 has another yr on the warranty and the '07 is out.

The '10 (4X4) w/5k miles is loaded was purchased up North and now in Florida....> asking 27k. They will not budge and let me walk away. Been on their lot for a month now. It's ckean.. but with 5k niles, it better be.

'07 (4X4) loaded Florida vehicle....> asking 23k. Also clean.

The '10 APPEARS to be a good deal but something about them NOT certifying it and it being on the lot for 30 days just raises my antenna. The 7yr/100,000 miles warranty sounds good.

Would like to hear some of your thoughts/opinions ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First thought is that it has been repaired and wouldn't qualify. Have you asked them to certify it for you? Also, just a thought, if you're going to modify it certification my be a waste of money. Toyota warranty should only cost $1500 or less if you purchase separately

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Why would a $tealer NOT certify a clean used vehicle?

Assuming they have other certified cars on their lot (i.e. they actually DO some certifications), then the most likely cause is that the vehicle suffered some kind of damage previously that disqualifies it for certification. If you check the seams - doors, hood etc - for evidence of repainting, this might prove out. The easy way is to feel along the paint coming to the outside of the vehicle, if you see a paint seam then you know it has been repainted.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I THOUGHT that initially but got caught up in the moment and did not inquire. Carfaxes are a joke as they do not capture damage NOT reported. I asked them and some lame excuse of it being low miles did not warrant it.

No.. I do not plan to modify it. Unless adding an air intake for the '07 is modifying. I understand there are no mods yet for the 10's.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
ItzAToy previously said: View Post
No.. I do not plan to modify it. Unless adding an air intake for the '07 is modifying. I understand there are no mods yet for the 10's.
Hahahahahahaha. You're in the wrong place, brother. Run, while you and your money have a chance. Haha.

There are NO mods for a 2010 or newer either, so don't look for any, because they don't exists. Haha.

Welcome to the madness.

"Sometimes you are actually restricted by what you know. It narrows your vision and doesn't challenge you to find different ways."

-Wikid

"I'm unique... Just like everyone else!"

-Big Turtle
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Just curious to know why a Toyota $tealer would NOT certify a used 2010 FJ with only 5k miles. They also have an '07 with 10k that is not certified. Does this sound a little odd? Is there something they are concerned with that they are not willing to stand by it? I would think a low mile clean vehicle as it shows would be an easy way to Certify and tag on the extra 2k. Yes.. the '10 has another yr on the warranty and the '07 is out.

The '10 (4X4) w/5k miles is loaded was purchased up North and now in Florida....> asking 27k. They will not budge and let me walk away. Been on their lot for a month now. It's ckean.. but with 5k niles, it better be.

'07 (4X4) loaded Florida vehicle....> asking 23k. Also clean.

The '10 APPEARS to be a good deal but something about them NOT certifying it and it being on the lot for 30 days just raises my antenna. The 7yr/100,000 miles warranty sounds good.

Would like to hear some of your thoughts/opinions ??
Not to sound condencending, but did you trying asking them why there not certified? We can speculate hear all we want, but bottom line they have to disclose to you whay its not certified. maybe there was body damage, maybe there wasn't. Just cause it was certified doesn't nessasarly mean there hiding anything.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

A 2010 w/ 5K miles for 27K? Plus, I assume you'd have to pay another couple grand (~$29K)for certification and extended warranty? Why not just pay another 3K (~$32K) and get a loaded brand new 2012? You can probably get a better interest rate on a brand new one and have better resale value if that matters to you. If it doesn't, you have a brand new FJ so you know if it's been wrecked and can take care of it the way you want for not a whole lot more money.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Quote:
銀チタン previously said: View Post
Hahahahahahaha. You're in the wrong place, brother. Run, while you and your money have a chance. Haha.

There are NO mods for a 2010 or newer either, so don't look for any, because they don't exists. Haha.

Welcome to the madness.

No mods?!?! Well this sucks.... guess I gotta unmod now

Jus playin.

Sounds like a little more due diligence on your part is in order. Get in there and ask questions. Its a big purchase and you have a right to some answers.

"SYNCITY" - 2010 / Silver Fresco / AT

The build:
Suspension:
Icon Stage I * AllPro UCA * MT classic lock * GY 285/75/16 MT/R * BMC
Exterior:
Rigid 2x10"~1x20" * DeMello 3 hoop * Warn M8000 * TG sliders * Ricochet full armor * AP shock/link armor * BW pocket flares * Safari snorkel * Garvin rack * Gobi ladder * Hi-lift jack *AVS vents * ScubaDriver * PD blackout * SCWFJ side logo
Interior:
Husky * Clazzio * DIY rear door storage
Electronics:
Cobra 75 WXST * KW-TH72A * Rock cams * LED interior lighting * Wolo horn * Dual batt. * ARB OBA
KF7WGI
TLCA: 21028
Exceptional vendors for quality/service
Ricochet * Sparks Toyota * Discount Tire * TRDParts4u
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Went and saw both of these vehicles the other day, there definitely something wrong with the 2007. It drives like crap, after looking around I was somewhat sketched out by the dealer and their lack of knowledge and general cleanliness so my Dad and I left. We ended up at David Maus in Sanford and picked up their last 2011 Camo Green for quite the deal. They have a new 2012 Blue and Sand (6mt) for around 30k with TTT if your still looking for an FJ.

Last edited by Kublakan; 03-05-2012 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM

There are many reasons. One being on average they end up having another 900-1500 in the cost of the vehicle. 450 goes directly to toyota then they pay for the actually cert inspection which is 500 or a bit lower so now your at 950. This assumes nothing is wrong which fixing would add to the cost. Cert requires things like tire and break needing to be in much better shape than a normal state safetly so lets say the tires are below cert but above safety. We all know FJ tires ar enot cheap that alone could be the reason. In most dealers the service and sales deptartments are seperate and always at odds. So service is trying to do as much work as they can on the car before the used dept can sell it and this of course raises their cost. So some dealers will purosely not certify their cars so that the cars are more easily marketable. Most shopping is done on the internet these days and if your 1000-1500 higher than the rest your depending on the person seeing the prices on the internet realizing yours is certified and then seeing the value in it. Not only that most people shop for cars online by bringing up the cars they want then sorting by price lowest first. These are just a few of the reasons. As the above poster mentioned there could also be issues like damage preventing it but on newer cars 9 times out of ten its all about cost. Toyotas are like gold at auctions as it is and then throwing new wheels, breaks, cert fee, and then paying for the actuall inspection isnt always feasible. Many toyota dealers have heavy losses every month on cert vehicles they are too heavy in. As the above poster mentioned ask the dealer if he can he will certify it but its going to cost you and you need to take in to account what work he is going to do and then add the value. On a toyota you dont need the 100k powertrain warranty most toyotas dont have issues there and frankly that warranty alone cost next to nothing. The 1500 the above poster mentioned could in manyc ases get you a 7 100k bumer to bumper. Just like anything else it all boils down to what you get for the additional money.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in