protection package scam? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: protection package scam?

Used to perform those packages in a former life... Its all crap. Between the windshield barrier, paint sealent (which requires you to get a new coating every year to uphold the warranty in most cases), fabric sealent,etc.. Its just a bucnh of crap that someone is making $ on.

The only thing I would get is a windshield warranty if they offer it. Mine was $450 for 5 years- no limitation on mileage. I'm now on my 4th windshield and each one has cost more than the initial $450. Best part is the deductable- 0

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

For less than $60 you can get a really good "one step paint sealant kit" and a "clay bar kit" from Griot's Garage. I did my 2011 when it was new and just did it again at it's 1st birthday. Takes a few hours and looks as good as it works....

YMMV RON

PS I'm not affiliated w/Griot's Garage, I just really like their stuff.....

I'm not lost. I'm right there at the cursor on my GPS..... Wherever that is????

2011 Silver Fresco, off road pkg, conv pkg, roof rack and hitch.
Mods: MT sliders, TRD TTUE Skid Plate, Craven Shorty Ant, PIAA LP570's on frt bumper, FOURTREKS clamps for shovel and axe, 265/70 17 Toyo ATIIs, SPRINGTAIL bags and racks, tossed the rear sway bar...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Garage

Yeah, that was the only crappy part of my experience with Toyota. When I purchased my corolla from them it was great until I got into the back room and this lady tried to push me on the protection package. I think it was around $800 for the rust proofing, clear coat, undercoat spray, and fabric protection.
She also tried to sell me on a maintenance package. When I asked her if taking it somewhere else would void my warranty she said it wouldn't but the non-oem filters may "damage my engine". "It may fail and my engine would be FLOODED with oil" I looked at her like a dog that just smelled his own fart and she quickly shut up.

I took the corolla down the road to Ming and got everything stated above for about $400 less. The re-sprays every 2 years are free too.

Caveat emptor.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Last edited by Winterpeg; 04-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to FJ_YYC

I bought my used '07 from a KIA dealer. They asked if I wanted the paint protection and undercoating. I noticed when I did my first walk around it had the 3M stone guard and undercoating already. The A pillars had minor paint chips and the white paint was showing through. They asked if I wanted the paint protection and I asked if they were going to paint the A pillars, he said no and so did I. Then he went on about the theft protection program that cost $400 I watched him place the 'Anti Theft" stickers over the ones that were already there, I think I paid $400 for some stickers that could be sanded of if it was ever stolen. I would say that these "protection plans" are mostly a scam.

'08 Iceberg White TT | 6" RC Lift | Bilstein 4600 | Pro Comp ES9000 | Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (LT285/75R16) | ARB Bumpers | Cobra NW 29 | 4' FireStick | Garmin GPSMAP62s | FJammer | Hella Rallye 3000 | Hella Dual-Beam Work Light |Pro Comp Explorer 130 | Pro Comp 35W HID | M-PAK Springtail Rear door rack | M-PAK Springtail cargo divider | 48" JackAll | Pioneer Tools |
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
mpp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage

New user (and don't even have an FJ yet, and why I'm perusing the Dealer Negotions forums) but this thread reminded me of this classic scene from one of my favorite movies...

Last edited by mpp; 05-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are good and bad programs. Most pant packages are 80% profit. If you want it don't pay over 300. The theft stickers are crap and it's really just and insurance policy for an extra 2 or 3k if stolen. Buy a Toyota ONLY. Warrant before you waste money on that crap. Most bigger reputable dealers have stopped selling that stuff and Toyota kinda pushes them not too.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

After they sold me my brand new 4Runner in 1997, they then had a really hot girl proceed to tell me how the paint would wear off due to acid rain and the like. She pushed hard too. After her pitch I just looked at her and asked if I should not sign the final paperwork since the paint was so cheap. You should have seen her face. 14 years and NO paint issues and no garage for the first 3 years. I'm just saying.

’08 Sandstorm, AT - Damn Thing Will Climb a Tree!
2.5” Daystar spacer lift
295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Bilstein 5100's on back
Rigid Industries 40" Lightbar on a Gobi Stealth Rack. "Like a little bit of the sun."
Snorkel & SCUBA Mod
Blacked out the silver.
Manual switch for the DRL's
Custom made equipment rack in the tail gate
And for Pete’s sake, get yourself the LED dome lights!

Wrote the novel called "White Passage: Red Sun." It's based upon my Special Forces counter terrorism and counterinsurgency experience in Latin America. You can check it out here: http://www.WhitePassage.com
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Detonador7 previously said: View Post
After they sold me my brand new 4Runner in 1997, they then had a really hot girl proceed to tell me how the paint would wear off due to acid rain and the like. She pushed hard too. After her pitch I just looked at her and asked if I should not sign the final paperwork since the paint was so cheap. You should have seen her face. 14 years and NO paint issues and no garage for the first 3 years. I'm just saying.
Wait, so you're saying acid rain is a reality??

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)

Quote:
12ICEBERG previously said: View Post
Just wondering if any other canadians have purchased the ''protection package'' from your dealer? Maybe they offer this in the states too I am unsure. Anyways I purchased a new fj yesterday and the protection package was pushed on me hard by the salesman. I told the guy it was a scam he got quite upset. It includes fabric and vinal protection as well as paint sealant and anti rust something or other. I was quite shocked that a reputabe dealership would offer such services seemed like a used car sales pitch from the 80's to me, I belive the price was 2800 dollars for the package. Just curious if this is a Toyota thing or if I just picked the wrong dealership?
Mine was 700 for the package. The ONLY reason I got it was because if you come in on scheduled intervals, for undercoating, they will be liable for any rusting issues. The respray is on them at these intervals. The other stuff I could care less. Besides, the BIG hoots on the mamasita who sold the package was worth the price of admission!!!!

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six.

Expect nothing, and you'll never be disappointed- Me.

Liberals are like Slinkies, they're only interesting after you push them down the stairs.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in