protection package scam? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
protection package scam?

Just wondering if any other canadians have purchased the ''protection package'' from your dealer? Maybe they offer this in the states too I am unsure. Anyways I purchased a new fj yesterday and the protection package was pushed on me hard by the salesman. I told the guy it was a scam he got quite upset. It includes fabric and vinal protection as well as paint sealant and anti rust something or other. I was quite shocked that a reputabe dealership would offer such services seemed like a used car sales pitch from the 80's to me, I belive the price was 2800 dollars for the package. Just curious if this is a Toyota thing or if I just picked the wrong dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming
Re: protection package scam?

A lot of dealers push this-not just Toyota.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can do what they do for about $200.00. They claim you can come back for touch ups and redos but that is a scam as well.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Forum Regular

I thought it was reeked of spending a lot for nothing. How the hell do you even know they put this mystery protection on? "You can't see it but its there and will protect you, trust us"

Anyway my salesman pushed so hard I demanded he throw it in free (after we reached his "best" deal). So I have this protection, but I would not pay for it myself.

I also got the theft protection thrown in, they wanted $299. I know damn well the vin#'s are already inscribed all over. They were going to do nothing but take my $299.00.

Darren
Maine
2007 - Black Cherry 6MT
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Those protection plans are noting but scotchbrite fabric protector and some form of paint sealant. Your really just buying a warranty. My friend used to work for NAG (North American Auto Group) and they sold that to the dealers along with the "back up sensors"

Cost of the Protection PKG $60
Cost of Back up sensors $100

When I bought my FJ I told the dealer I didnt want them to even wash the FJ.

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

07 Sun Fusion. Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, SkyJacker lift, Lucrum winch mount, Superwinch LP8500, TRD exhaust, TRD skid plate, VSC cancel switch, A-Trac, Bi Xenon HID's, KC's, EBC brakes, Moto Metal M0957 wheels, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 3M stone guard, FJ40 4wheel drive badge, Predator step bars, Pioneer Premier Avicf90bt, JL Audio 6x9's, Custom fabricated subwoofer enclosure, Bandi mount.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM

The protection pkg for 2800? I can't believe they are really trying that. I am in te business on the dealership level and most dealers will offer this in one form or another at least in my area. The above poster is correct in saying its just a wax and basicly scotchguard in one form or another. While not useless I actually had it put on mine ( Of course I did not pay for it ). We sell the product for 279.00 or 499.00 if you want a lifetime warranty and most do not. The cost to the dealer is 179 and they make 100 profit. 2800 is going back to the old rust proofing days and I would literally walk out and not buy a car if someone tried to sell me that package at 2800.00. If your someone who likes to wash and wax your car you probably do not need it. If you do not spend a lot of time washing your own vehicle its not bad. The warranty actually does warranty against some pretty crappy stuff but its more piece of mind than anything. Im pretty sure Toyota would not look kindly on that dealer trying to push that on you for that price.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Forum Regular

When we bought are fj we bought the protection plan but it was only 1400 and that was the protection for the seats, the paint protector, under coating which is all falling off and a rust protector that is completely useless and does not work at all. We bought the fj used though so thought it might be okay, but now I realize it was a big waist of money. 2800 is just insane though

2007 BLACK FJ CRUISER
-Blacked out front bezel, toyota logo, mirrors and handles
-All Pro bumper with single hoop
-All Pro Sliders
- Hella 700's
- Rough Country 6 inch lift
- 315/70r17 Kelly safari tsr
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

$2,800? $1,400?

I paid $500 for it on my Tundra and the only reason I did was to place extended warranty on the crap paint jobs they throw on the Tundras.

As near as I can tell, all they do is Scotch Guard the seats, Armor All the interior, and have some high school kid wash and wax it. As for undercoating, you can do that yourself or pay some shop a lot less.

This is how dealers make money at the time of sale, by offering BS like this, along with all kinds of other crap, like a low jack kit, alarms, what have you. Getting serviced by them is another way they make money. I don't think they make money on the actual car itself, as much as they do on the other stuff they push on you.

I've bought a lot of new cars in my life, and have never had a salesman insist. I politely yet firmly tell them no and they've listened. If they insist, tell them to FOAD and get the paperwork to the sales manager, you're in a hurry.

The only thing worth considering is an extended warranty on the drivetrain. Those I buy, but I negotiate the cost.

Edit: don't forget, if you sell that vehicle with the extended drivetrain warranty before the original ends, you get that money back from Toyota. You also get back a prorated amount afterwards if you go beyond the original manufacture warranty. Use that as down on your next vehicle, be it a Toyota or other make.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Tommy go back to where you bought that. Normally those packages have warranties especially if it was undercoating. Now the warranties normally say PERFORATION which oddsa re you do not have it takes over 10 years for rust to make a hole in the metal. Demand they repair it. You paid a lot for that make them fix it. Generally the company that handles the package or warranty will just refund your money instead of dealing with a mad customer or trying to make repairs. Once you start posting on local internet sites like dealer rater and make BBC complaints you will get some resolution. Quite honestly do NOT let them re apply the undercoating a sits not good for your car anyways. It globs up on wireing and mechanics hate dealing with cars that have it. I would just complain that the product is faulty and falling off and you do not want a refund or something. As I said if you annoy them enough you will see some help. Especially if you buy multiple vehicles through them.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular

I wouldn't trust anyone to wash my FJ, and definitely not wax it. You know they do a half aXX job.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List