Do you negotiate the cost of an extended warranty? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Do you negotiate the cost of an extended warranty?

you will get a full refund if you go into the dealer and cancel within 10 or 30 days.

it's on your contract how soon you have to cancel for full refund, which goes to the bank holding your title reducing your principle owed.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage

These things are often sold by the finance manager for a 200% markup.

Also look at what it's going to cover.

Toyota covers the entire vehicle for 3 years, 36000 miles.
Toyota covers the power train for 5 years, 60000 miles.

So the warranty is only filling in what Toyota doesn't cover. It also depends how long you intend to hold on to the vehicle.

2013 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition

FJ Cruiser - The Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle

Last edited by WarWagon; 04-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
WarWagon previously said: View Post
These things are often sold by the finance manager for a 200% markup.
Ok i'll bite! I'm a finance manager at a Toyota dealership and people would tell us to get bent at a 200% mark up. If anyone wants more info on the warranties PM me..

Now as far as the poster that said we should mark them up $50.00 and sell them.. I'm sorry but for the work involved in doing paperwork then mailing off for signatures frankly isn't worth it. Keep in mind our dealer principal (owner) expects us to make him $$$ I'm not opposed to giving a huge discounts just ask..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A lot of states have regulations on the Price. FL for example has a set double the cost for extended warranties no more no less. Buy the warranty just before your 36 month 3 year warranty is up to save on interest and from a state with no regulations. I have seen yamaha motorcycle warranties on ebay for $50 over cost so I'm sure you can find a toyota warranty somewhere cheap.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage

My GF worked at a Toyota dealership in the early 80's and those $700 warranties cost them $350. Maybe things have changed 20 years later, so shop around.

2013 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition

FJ Cruiser - The Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
westtexas86004 previously said:

As for not having an extended warranty, well it's a Toyota, I'll take my chances and only time and circumstance will tell if this was a wise decision.
I think you'll be fine. It's hard for me to justify the purchase of one on a Toyota. If we were talking domestic's I would change my tune.(Been with Toyota for going on my 10th year, worked for domestics for 6)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 AM

Well, yes. There's plenty of room to negotiate on an extended car warranty. Here's a link that can tell you how to get the best price on an extended car warranty: How To Negotiate an Extended Car Warranty -- Edmunds.com. If it helps, you don't have to buy the extended warranty at the time of buying the ar. You have time till the standard factory warranty runs out, so take your time and think things through.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I always run out of time before I do mileage, so extended is essential to me, providing I can continue to get my customary 40% discounts! It's basically an insurance policy! BE SURE TO GET ONLY TOYOTA FACTORY WARRANTY, NOT ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EVEN IF SOLD BY DEALER! You can buy from ANY Toyota dealer up until original factory one expires; but TOYOTA DOES NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT YOUR VEHICLE! If you've had extensive warranty work, you might be out of luck? Currently, you are getting 2 years of service with new purchase; but you will need to keep copies of all service and warranty work and be sure you're within service intervals, BASED ON YOUR TYPE OF USAGE, ACCORDING TO MANUAL! This should almost guarantee you vehicle will be accepted for extended warranty later! Even if all service done at dealer, keep your own records, just in case. Also, important if you ever choose to sell to an individual!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Negotiating price should be the last thing you do. You need to look and see what is covered, limit of liabilities, who re-insures the policy, and review the company.

I had coverage in the past with National Repair Solutions, i used to work at the dealer in the F&I department so I did my research. They have a good rating with the BBB, reinsured and had the best price and payments so far. They paid for my transmission that was $4,000 with no problems. Hope that helps!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in