Went for a test drive... didn't like it as much as I'd hoped for - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving This area is for purchasing help, dealer negotations as well as test driving impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Went for a test drive... didn't like it as much as I'd hoped for

I worried about the sunroof too, but I think a turret will be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I drove three Fjs and then a tacoma. The tacoma seemed to accelerate quicker and was much more responsive than the FJ. I'm now looking at the Tacoma with the off-road package, the lower interst rate will save me $50./month

Last edited by NSCruiser; 04-08-2006 at 04:45 AM.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 04:58 AM
Forum Master

Lifetime Supporting Member

That is why it is a limited production vehicle. Not everyone is going to like this vehicle. Some people would rather have a Lexus 4x4 and not really go off road. Only want something for dirt roads and snow. I hope you all find the vehicle to fit your needs. For me the FJ is something I have been waiting for. I have had enough leather 4runners and also a Sequoia. The 4runners were nice, however you no longer can get one with a manuel trans. The Sequoia was a gas sucking, soft spring, over weight pig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Lil Stinky previously said:
the dash seem high which I don't really like. I kinda like to be on top of the dash with a commanding view forward.
I think that, besides the overall design, the one aspect that defines the attraction of the FJ styling is the high beltline. I've seen people say that it has a chopped roof, but if you think about it (or look at it), the roof only seems low in relation to the high beltline. So it's not just the high dash that is giving you this impression, its the high doors.

The loose steering (cornering) may stem from the stock tires and their large sidewalls, not sure. What are you comparing it to?
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

the FJ acts and behaves exactly how i thought it would when i started looking into the thing a couple years ago. if you are even remotely considering a lexus - you will not like this truck. it can be cumbersome, it doesnt corner that well, it can be load, the windshield is friggin huge, the hood is 'long', it is like a tank, etc etc - that's what's cool about it. why have a 4x4 at all if you do not intend on taking it offroad? get a 4x2. you are the ones ****ing everything up for the rest of us who do and want to get out there on the decreasing amounts of trails available to us. do everyone a favor and keep your ***** asses in your ***** wannabe 4x4s and leave the FJ alone already. i guess we gotta deal with thinning the herd a little bit here - but dammit people - havent you read any reviews on this vehicle? it's not a friggin commuter vehicle. at the very least get yourself into the 4x2 - someone's gotta buy them - and it mine as well be the hoser posers.

sorry. getting annoyed with any and all people comparing this truck to a lexus. that's just lame.

ok. im done.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Artie Lange previously said:
I think that, besides the overall design, the one aspect that defines the attraction of the FJ styling is the high beltline. I've seen people say that it has a chopped roof, but if you think about it (or look at it), the roof only seems low in relation to the high beltline. So it's not just the high dash that is giving you this impression, its the high doors.

The loose steering (cornering) may stem from the stock tires and their large sidewalls, not sure. What are you comparing it to?

I was comparing it to my parents 2005 Z71 Tahoe 4X4. I like the way the Tahoe drives better but when it comes to looks the FJ has it beat by a mile. The Tahoe has some features that I would like on the FJ such as heated seats and a sunroof but I could always add the heated seats and the sunroof missing won't bother me that much. I think I will go for the automatic trans to because I didn't like the manual trans model FJ all that much(the clutch pedal felt pretty stiff). I wouldn't mind a Tahoe but the price gets out of hand in a hurry when you start adding options and the looks, while not bad, just don't compare to the FJ.
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Lil Stinky previously said:
After taking one for a test drive I'm having some second thoughts. I'm 6'1" and I like to have the drivers seat back a ways and in the FJ this made the windshield seem like it was far away and the dash seem high which I don't really like. I kinda like to be on top of the dash with a commanding view forward. The second thing I didn't really like was the clutch in the 6speed version I drove... it seemed very stiff and would probably loosen up after breaking it in but you never know. The third thing I didn't like was the loose feeling steering. I realize that 4x4 larger trucks usually have somewhat loose steering but I was hoping the FJ would be tighter than most 4x4's. I thought the truck had incredible looks inside and out. I told the dealer that I wasn't interested in paying any market adjustment and that I didn't like the two manual trans models he had on the lot because of their color. He said he would be willing to erase the market value increase and even remove some of the optional equipment cost such as the emergency kit and the tow hitch cost because I didn't want those options. He said they would still leave the stuff on the truck and that he would just give me a break on the price. All it took was mentioning the fact that I didn't like the ones he had on the lot to get the ball rolling with price reductions. I kept trying to leave and he kept spicing up the deal with the final deal being about $700 under MSRP. I still wouldn't do the deal and told the dealer that if I was spending this kind of cash that it would have to be in a color I liked. He said he would call when they got one in that was in a color I wanted. Go ahead and jump me all you want but the test drive didn't jump out and grab me. I wasn't in the best of moods when I was at the dealer and this might of had some bearing on my less than stellar test drive. I was very happy to see that they are starting to deal on price though.
You must have tested a defective FJ. My 6-speed's clutch is exceedingly smooth, light, and the steering is pretty precise. Most of the high-speed steering play I am feeling is very minor compared to my old jeep.

As far as the windshield proximaty, I do not care to eat any glass in an accident or have riders put their hands all over my windshield leaving hand prints. So not being accessible is fine by me!

Last edited by RalphWiggum; 04-09-2006 at 02:27 PM.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:40 PM

CalifFJ, I agree. I was at the carwash a few minutes ago, having been out in the country over the weekend. Big mistake. People gathering and staring at the FJ. One guy mentioned he might get one for his growing family. I told him to follow his likes, but this was a 'toy' for going offroad, not a family car, if you will. He was salivating, so I don't know which way he'll go with the purchase.
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
RalphWiggum previously said:
You must have tested a defective FJ. My 6-speed's clutch is exceedingly smooth, light, and the steering is pretty precise. Most of the high-speed steering play I am feeling is very minor compared to my old jeep.

As far as the windshield proximaty, I do not care to eat any glass in an accident or have riders put their hands all over my windshield leaving hand prints. So not being accessible is fine by me!

How tall are you? Sounds like you did notice the distance to the windshield. I was comparing the clutch to the one in my current vehicle and the pedal required more effort and the throw was much longer. I'm just going to go with the automatic for these reasons.... Im getting older and my joints would just like the automatic better.
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
bloomingtoncruiserfan previously said:
CalifFJ, I agree. I was at the carwash a few minutes ago, having been out in the country over the weekend. Big mistake. People gathering and staring at the FJ. One guy mentioned he might get one for his growing family. I told him to follow his likes, but this was a 'toy' for going offroad, not a family car, if you will. He was salivating, so I don't know which way he'll go with the purchase.

Yeah he would be better off in a Tahoe or 4Runner. Those rear doors dont leave much room to climb in back. Better than the old two door Broncos and Blazers though.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Dealer Negotiations/Test Driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in